Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Sesame Street:Old School 1969-1974

I trust you're all aware of this awesome DVD set that's scheduled to be released this month or next month.It sounds like a better deal than the previous DVD and video storyline compilations,where the original SS episodes are concerned.I just pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.com.And I look so forward to seeing these episodes again.I'd especially look forward to seeing the debut episode.I was born in 1970,and didn't start tuning into the show regularly until around 1973-74.So I don't believe I've ever seen the very first episode of Sesame Street.

I'm pretty excited!

MrsWembly

Reaction score
I can't wait either PugLover! I'm very excited! Its going to be released
Oct. 24. :stick_out_tongue:

Its perfect because I'm going to Sesame Street Live Oct. 26. YEAH!!!

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
Yes, it looks like I may have been wrong (not that I mind at all)!

The Rapunzel clip was from one of the "Newsflash" skits, if memory serves correctly. :smile:
You are correct! Now, I wonder if the ending will be intact, where the Prince is screaming for his horse.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you talking about the part where Prince Charming realizes he's lost his horse and tells Kermit to "shut up" when Kermit tries to console him?

Or is that just my childhood memory playing tricks on me?

If it's true, then I imagine they'll probably have to cut it out or dub over the audio for that part. After all, even though the target audience for this is nostalgic fans, there's probably going to be lot of kids who see it too.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I saw that the article mentioned 45 bonus skecthes. At first, I mistakenly thought that it said 45 bonus features.

Lets see. We know that it will have appearances by James Earl Jones (the article pretty much confirmed that the sketch where he counted to 10 will be included), Johnny Cash (the article pretty much says that Nasty Dan will be on there), Jesse Jackson, and Jackie Roberts, and it will have Rubber Duckie, I Love Trash, C is For Cookie, Pinball Number Count (not sure which one, or if its more then one, or if its all of them), the King of 8, The Alligator King, and the Ladybug Picnic. That is 11 sketches (22, if all of the Pinball Number Count skits are going to be included). That leaves 34 more skits to be included outside of the episodes.

I am going to make a list of 34 skits that I hope to see included as bonus skits (and of course I don't know what episodes will be included, so if any of the following skits listed are going to be included, then thats a bonus in itself)
1. The Banana Sketch part 1
2. The Banana Sketch part 2
3. Proud of Me
4. Ernie makes a clay sculpture of Bert
5. Lets Sing a Song of One
6. Lets Sing a Song of Nine
7. Everyone Likes Ice Cream
8. Super Grover: Hair Cut
9. Sesame Street News: The Tortose and The Hare
10. Sesame Street News: Rupunzel
11. The Count counts The Three Little Pigs
12. Sesame Street News: Pinnocchio
13. Harvey Kneeslapper: Do you know where I wanna B?
14. Grover attempts to sell Kermit earmuffs
15. Grover attempts to sell Kermit a nose warmer
16. Kermit demonstrates "next to" with Shala and Fanny
17. Kermit and a boy demonstrate "Exit"
18. Grover talks about the number 2
19. Grover talks about the number 2 part 2
20. Grover talks about the number 2 part 3
21. Roosevelt Franklins Alphabet
22. The Amazing Mumfords disapearing cookie trick
23. Monsterpiece Theater: Upstairs, Downstairs
24. Monsterpiece Theater: Chariots of Fur
25. Beat the Time: Grover
26. Beat the Time: The Count
27. The Ballad of Casey McPhee
28. any Buddy and Jim sketch
29. Windy
30. Typewriter Guy: P-Pencil
31. The Nobel Ostrich
32. Kermits Milk Lecture
33. Ernie talks about his day at the zoo
34. Lefty attempts to sell Ernie a letter U

I realize that some of those skits are from later than season 5, but I think the Pinball Number Coutn sketches are from season 8.
Here are some of the sketches I hope to see:
The Two Muppet Martians(Yip yip yip)
Ernie & Bert:Leaky faucet
Ernie & Bert:Counting sheep,fire engines,balloons
Ernie and Cookie Monster:stick_out_tongue:illow
Jerry & The Monotones:Sad
Super Grover:Boys fight over apple.
Grover the waiter:Hamburger
Kermit NewsFlash:Little Miss Moffat and the spider
Beat The Time:Cookie Monster
Paul Benedict:Number Painter
Who Are The People In Your Nieghborhood?
Some sketches I'm certain to see:
Let's Sing A Song Of#
Jazzy Spies#
Talking Typewriter

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you talking about the part where Prince Charming realizes he's lost his horse and tells Kermit to "shut up" when Kermit tries to console him?

Or is that just my childhood memory playing tricks on me?

If it's true, then I imagine they'll probably have to cut it out or dub over the audio for that part. After all, even though the target audience for this is nostalgic fans, there's probably going to be lot of kids who see it too.
I don't think using the word "shut up" is really that big of a deal on a kids show (though when I was in the second and third grade I thought it was a cuss word). And as for whether or not it will be included, here are a few things to consider:

1. It may depend on whether it was edited from whatever episode it is featured in on the set. Somehow I doubt that the scene started getting cut within the first five years, but I could be wrong. If it's included in an episode that originally showed it cut then it will most likely be cut. If it's part of an episode that originally broadcast it uncut, then I hope it's shown as originally broadcast. If it's included as one of the bonus sketches then I hope that Sesame Workshop doens't make any alterations.

2. Did Noggin ever show this segment uncut? If Noggin showed it uncut then that might determine whether Sesame Workshop would allow for it to be shown uncut.

3. The word "Shut up" was said in Follow That Bird, by Sam Sleaze to Sid Sleaze when they get pulled over by the state trooper.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
From what I understand, SW has the ability to use anything they've already done with Kermit. They simply can't use him in anything newly produced.

Greg

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
For TV broadcasts, yes that's true. If SW wanted to air anything with Kermit on a current show, they already have the rights. But the rights for a DVD release are usually different.

But I think it's a moot point now anyway.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if it's considered a frequently asked question or not, but it would be good if the official Sesame Workshop site included the question "Since Kermit and the Sesame Street Muppets are no longer owned by the same company, how can Kermit be used?" We seem to ask this question alot, but I don't know how often Sesame Workshop gets asked this. It would be great if Sesame Workshop could officially explain, in detail, what they can and can't do with old Kermit sketches.

flower

Reaction score
New Sesame Street DVD!!

:smile:Hey everyone!:smile:
Seeing as you, like me, are all avid Sesame Street fans (especially of the old classics!), i thought i would let you know about the new Sesame Street DVD called 'Old School' that is about to be launched according to this website my friend sent me. Check out oldschoolDOTsesamestreetDOTcom and you can see it for yourselves and also exclusive clips from the DVD that are so funny! You gotta check it out! :excited:

Status
Not open for further replies.