Hebrew names for SS characters

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw the Plaza Sesamo list, and thought I would add in my 2 cents with a Rechov Sumsum list. Most of this info is from a Hebrew version of Linda Heyward's sesame street picture dictionary that I just got - highly recommended btw. Feel free to supplement or correct:

Ernie - Arik
Bert - Bentz
Cookie - Oogi or Oogi Ha-Mifletzet or Oogifletzet
Prairie (my favorite muppet, but that's another thread) - Miri
Betty Lou - Chaftzi-Bah (which means "my delight is in her")
Kermit - Kermit
Grover - Kruvi (= little angel, cherub)
Super Grover - Kruvi Ahuvi
Oscar - Mar Ashpach (the Israeli version of Oscar is Moshe Offnik but this is Oscar's own name)
Count - Mar S'for
Don Music - Gali Musikali
Lefty - Mar Karkumi
Farley - Pupik (which means 'belly button')
Mr Hooper - Mar Kuper
Roosevelt Franklin - Binyamin Ze'ev Weitzman (!)
Sherlock Hemlock - Sherlock Hemlock
Guy Smiley - Mumu Talpaz
Biff - Beni
Sully - Sami

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Mumu,

Hey,
Are there pictures of Moshe, Kippi, Dafi, Haneen or Karim ?

Are you from Isreal ?

See ya

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
Hi Warrick,

I think the book is just a direct translation of an English SS dictionary, so there aren't any pictures of the Israeli characters in it.

I live in Washington, but have family in Israel. Last time I was there I watched Rechov Sumsum, and it was pretty good. My little cousins like it too.

I haven't yet found any good Hebrew sites about SS but will post links when I do find some sites and/or pictures.

- MT

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have a bunch of "Americanized" Rechov Sumsum episodes on tape (I'm not sure if it still works, and I've lost it years ago since it really freaked me out when I was a kid) called SHalom Sesame. I beleive they have some episodes on tape for sale, but they are out of print. I did see one in the window of a Jewish Book store in BOston (Brookline, I believe) with Bert (or rather Bentz) on the front.

The American ones were aired as a week long special in 1988 and once in 1992. They have American Celebrities (Bonnie Franklin, Itzak Perlman, and my personal favorite Jerry Stiller) as hosts and Puppeteers playing Kippi the Porkupine and Moishe Oofnik in English. It did show Hebrew Language versions of the old skits like "If I knew you Were Coming, I'd have baked a cake," "Telephone Rock," and even Ladybug Picknic and the Grace Slick (obviously a different singer) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 skit. It also had Israeli Skits that taught American kids hebrew words and letters.

I think I have one episode taped on a video with all these Garfield and Peanuts sketches.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Yeah i have that set of Videos, What im looking for is the 'real' Rechov Sumsum/Shara'a Simsim.

Mumu -
Do you think there is any way you could get some episodes ?
Maybe we could trade ?

See ya

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
Dr Tooth --

I love those videos: When I was first dating my now-wife, we decided to skip the fall formal and watch Shalom Sesame instead. From then on we knew we were meant for each other :smile:

Warrick --

I don't have any videos, but will fish around on israeli auction sites. (I've just added hebrew typing capability to my computer, so now I can do things I couldn't do before...)

BTW if either of you are interested, the Hebrew mirror version of the Bert is evil page can be found here:

http://www.menza.co.il/bert/bert.htm

The last red bulleted link on the top page is to an mp3 which has a clip from a radio show about the bert controversy...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obviously I knew you guys had them, I was mearly making conversation. It's cool to see that others have heard of this special. They listed the videos in an encyclopedia of Kid's videos, and the woman who wrote it was CLUELESS!!! She kept asking stupid "Where's Big Bird" type questions...egad!!!

However, there is a program on MSNBC (that was reran on NBC this summer) called Time and again. They had two shows devoted to Jim Henson, one was entirely about Sesame Street. Anyway, it showed short clips of inserts on certain co-productions of Sesame (Including the Russian and Chinese versions) and had reporters on location talking about them (only the two I mentioned and Rechov/ Shar'a Sumsum). They were talking about this episode they made in which Kippi met the cast of Shar'a and they found a common disinterrest: Onions!

It was mainly about the story behind it, I really can't recall, but they were on location, showing the episodes being filmed. Just wanted to point that out!

And..were there any PVCs or anything of these characters?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Mumu,

Do you think there is any way you could get this video for me?

I would send you the money, Or you can pick some stuff from my Trades List and we could trade ?

Let me know, And send me an email !

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
I must say one thing. I cannot for beans read that language, nor do these school computers have that font. What format is the video in? I'm asking this on Warrick's behalf.

Cool video, though!