Can someone please email me a couple patterns?

Arislan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get those Punto and Rotondo patterns. I just want the actual patterns so can someone who has them get in touch with me and email me them? I'd be very happy ^-^ Thanks very much, I hope I can start building muppets soon! :stick_out_tongue::frown:

shtick

Reaction score
Sadly to say, my friend, patterns are not for free. They cost money and are expensive. I wish they werent, but they are. You dont really need patterns. Just make shapes out of foam (spheres, barrels etc.) and put em together. All you need is some glue, scott foam and time.

Arislan

Reaction score
shtick said:
Sadly to say, my friend, patterns are not for free. They cost money and are expensive. I wish they werent, but they are. You dont really need patterns. Just make shapes out of foam (spheres, barrels etc.) and put em together. All you need is some glue, scott foam and time.
I want the patterns. I know they are not free sometimes, so I am asking if someone already bought them if they can email them to me.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Arislan said:
I want the patterns. I know they are not free sometimes, so I am asking if someone already bought them if they can email them to me.
The Rotondo pattern is 49.95 at projectpuppet.com. When I got mine, it was printed on oversized sheets so, they weren't email-able thought they're supposedly on CD now. Check them out and shell out the cash when you get it. They're good people that regularly contribute to MC and deserve the business.

Phantom

Reaction score
Jim Henson once said something to the effect that if you study (too much) the work of others, you will inevitably (unintentionally) duplicate what they are doing. It's true.

All of the puppets I have built (with the exception of my glorified sock puppet), have been original patterns, although I have collected patterns to see what others are doing. I started with the Foam Book and went from there.

Without being overly blunt and by no means this isn't said with malice, you'll be better off figuring it out yourself. Sure, glean some ideas from patterns, these forums and the information that is available, but do your own thing. I don't think anyone here will disagree with that philosophy.

Some don't see originality in my designs and in some ways they may be correct. And admittedly I use a Pannabecker style mouthplate on some of my puppets and my own design on others. Head shapes are often a mystery to new builders but there are ways to come up with original patterns. I like taking a shape made of clay, covering it with masking tape and cutting it off in such a way that it lays mostly flat. I tweak it from there. Or take everyday objects and figure out how to use them in a puppet.

I think creativity is a habit and the more you exercise your mind toward creativity, the more natural it becomes. It's evident in the creations from some of the more experience builders on this forum.

Arislan

Reaction score
I think you guys all have good points. But I can't buy those on my budget, so if anyone has them I'd love to see them.
I don't mind becoming a copycat of Henson. After all, who wouldn't wanna be like him? So I want to make my own muppets.

Phantom

Reaction score
All I can say (and struggle daily to do) is "be outstanding" whatever you do. Best of luck.

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I want to chime in and agree with Phantom. I'm just starting building my 4th puppet. I built 3 others -- a Kermit knock-off, a lion (which isn't finished) and a lousy bird. I'm re-doing the bird using everything I learned from the first 3, and it's looking pretty good so far. I've not purchased any patterns and am doing it all trial-and-error, and I think that's the best way to do it. After all -- Jim Henson didn't go out and buy patterns for his puppets.

Not that I think patterns are a BAD idea. Not at all. Many times I have been tempted to buy whatever patterns Puppet Planet offers. The renegade artist in me resists. But if you don't have the cash -- or don't want to spend the cash -- then I say start drawing, cutting and gluing, and see what you come up with.