Rod Arm Help

intozlight

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys found that works best for the wire in the puppet rods? I have tried several gauges and types of wire but have been less than thrilled with the results.

Director Davies
Ripplesministry.org

puppetise

Reaction score
give me a day and ill give the detailes on the type i use

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i use welding rod, not sure of the guage, but its good and strong

Phantom

Reaction score
I've used stainless welding rods (sold by the pound) they are durable but hard to bend. Now I use Simpson insulation supports. $10/100 and are slightly easier to bend. They work well, not sure of the guage.

intozlight

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I am also looking into making a removable arm rod, perhaps with a bike spoke and cap.

My newest Puppet should be done in a couple of days. I will post the pics when he is done.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
of course I use metal coat hangers for the rods of my puppets.

Tim

Reaction score
If you have a library handy and if they carry THE PUPPETRY JOURNAL they just ran an extensive 2 issue article all about arm rods. econd part is out now.

intozlight

Reaction score
Arm rods - Cont

Well all, I have been researching and finally decided on a rod arm holder - taking bits and pieces from everything I learned here. I decided on square handles for better control - although I rounded the edges on my sander to give them a more comforatble feel.
Looking at one of the tutorials, I noticed that they had wrapped wire around the rod and had pushed it into the side of the handle - while this makes for a very sturdy rod, it did not have the finish I wanted - so instead, I drilled oversized holes in the center and "roughed-up" the end of the rod. I foung that Gorilla glue ( avail at any hardware store) feels like it will hold forever. But alas only time will tell if i have made the right decision. Additionally, for the end I decided to solder a loop on the end for sewing inside the hand. This again makes for a nicer finish and of course only matters to me. We will see how sturdy this is as well.
Overall I am very happy with the final product and will post pictures of Bernard - The boy-beaver genius as soon as I take them. Thank you all for your input.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
If you're looking for a smooth finish but with the metal still set into the wooden handle, which is the Henson way, cut a channel down the side of the rod with a small chisel, which is the same depth as the wire, so it will sit flush with the wood. This channel leads to the drilled hole where the wire bends at a right angle into the wood.

I think these things are all personal, like marionette controls, and you have to use whatever works best for you, but keep an open mind to improvements.