Return to Labyrinth: Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jake,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and responding so gracefully. I'm a writer myself, and I know how hard it is when one's own work gets attacked.

I read the link on the LiveJournal before it was removed, and I have to say I'm puzzled by some of the choices (the artwork more so than anything, I think). But I don't think you have to model your story on other people's fanfic. In fact, if you did that, fanfic writers would be crying copyright infringement!

I think focusing the story on Toby is a logical choice. I would have done the same thing.

If all the issues haven't gone to press already, there are a few things I would like you to address (not that you owe it to me, but speaking as an audience member):

1) Are we meant to read something into Jareth's "advances" on Toby? In the original film, Jareth seems to be more of a (warped) father figure. Now Jareth seems to be more bisexual. Have these scenes simply been wildly misinterpreted?

2) Hoggle has said in this comic that he hates Sarah, which is not how things stood when we last saw these characters. Will we learn why later in the story, or is there some stylistic reason for this choice? (I'm not asking you to give the whole story away, just asking whether or not this matter will be dealt with in some form.)

3) Lastly, I know you're not the artist, but you will likely know: why was Sarah given such a radical re-design? I know that characters are often reworked for manga, and that sometimes actors don't grant the rights for their likenesses to be used. But in the prologue, Sarah looks exactly like Jennifer Connelly. Why the change? And will she ever look more like the Sarah we know later in the story?

If you can answer any of these questions even in part, I would appreciate it.

Again, while I understand the frustration and confusion the other fans feel at this point, I certainly don't want this to be about abusing you, personally, as the writer. I look forward to any responses you can give, as well as to how this story will unfold.

Take care!

JakeForbes

Reaction score
See answers below:

1) Are we meant to read something into Jareth's "advances" on Toby? In the original film, Jareth seems to be more of a (warped) father figure. Now Jareth seems to be more bisexual. Have these scenes simply been wildly misinterpreted?

There are a couple flirtatious tease moments, but they are definately not meant to imply anything more than Jareth making Toby squirm. Even when being generous, Jareth has to make sure everyone involved knows who's really in charge. Fear not -- the series is not a J/T slash story.

2) Hoggle has said in this comic that he hates Sarah, which is not how things stood when we last saw these characters. Will we learn why later in the story, or is there some stylistic reason for this choice? (I'm not asking you to give the whole story away, just asking whether or not this matter will be dealt with in some form.)

Sarcasm. Because it's her fault he's where he is now. Hoggle is a sarcastic kind of guy. :smile:

3) Lastly, I know you're not the artist, but you will likely know: why was Sarah given such a radical re-design? I know that characters are often reworked for manga, and that sometimes actors don't grant the rights for their likenesses to be used. But in the prologue, Sarah looks exactly like Jennifer Connelly. Why the change? And will she ever look more like the Sarah we know later in the story?

We will see Sarah again, but I'd rather not talk about that now.

As for likenesses, the prologue served as transition from a more realistic style to the more stylized look of the manga.

Hope that helps!

Jake Forbes

alorindanya

Reaction score
Thanks again Jake!

We really do appreciate you taking the time to check back here.

Laszlo

Reaction score
To Jake Forbes:

Why not asking the fans first what they would like to see, or showing some concepts to get them approved by fans?
And who decided on the graphics style? It looks like most people don't like it.

That said, I'm looking forward to get a copy :smile:

Thanks,
Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, from that little bit of questionare there...it seems that things will be better, but in the later volumes. Oh well. :smile:

pinkspankyangel

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that I seem to be in the minority for actually liking a manga style, although I have to agree that poor old Sarah seems to have suffered badly in this reworking!
I am really impressed to see that Jake Forbes is replying here, despite the earlier savaging that he got.
I'm intending to grab a copy, and wait and see what the future issues bring. I think it looks interesting, not exactly what I expected, but then after 20 odd years, and a lot of rumour and speculation, would we have ALL been delighted with anything?:wink:

Timhodge

Reaction score
Man, I was really disappointed when I read this thread. We've all been waiting a long time for more Labyrinth, so there's a lot riding on these projects.

So when I read the book, I was hugely relieved. RtL might not be winning any Eisners but I don't believe the writing is anywhere near as bad as some fans seem to think. I do wish Terry Jones was involved though!

Bashing Forbes for not being fanficcy enough is absurd. We really need to wait and see the Pulse interview he mentioned, but I think we have to assume that the direction of the story was primarily driven by the Henson people, and certainly at the very least it was approved by them and thus officially, it's canon. I think the new characters are interesting, we're learning more about Goblin society than we did in the movie (which always bugged me) and I can't wait for volume two.

But oh, the art... the art I can't defend. Like so much "OEL manga", it looks like mediocre fanart. Really not a great choice of artist for this series -- some of it's okay, but the characters from the movie just look awful. Didymus and Hoggle in particular should sue.

And then in the back there's a preview of the Dark Crystal stuff, which looks great! I'm not really a big DC fan, but the art there is brilliant. I really wish the art for RtL was a bit more professional-looking though. It's uneven and untidy and over-toned and just doesn't do justice to the source material. It's not particularly bad, but it really doesn't suit.

But.

Boycotting this book won't help the Labyrinth property. It won't persuade anyone that the fans should be consulted to ensure that a sequel meets their standards. It will tell Henson's marketing people that Labyrinth products don't sell. So they won't bother offering us any more. Do you really want to wait another twenty years to have a chance to support this movie? Because if the sales on this book aren't up to snuff, we'll have a long wait ahead of us before they're game to try out something else.

This Tokyopop collaboration is an unprecedented and thrilling move for Henson's people to make, and I think we'd be mad not to show them we're grateful that at least they're trying.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Stormclouds, I understand this is a difficult time, but you can disagree with other forum members without being temperamental. Believe me, I know it's hard - I'm going through the same thing in another forum right now. But a lack of politeness will not help win anyone to your point of view.

That being said, I look forward to reading future posts by you.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
BTW, Jake, don't forget to tell us when your interview is up on The Pulse!

alorindanya

Reaction score
Jake, if you ever do come back here, I hope that you can return to LiveJournal and make them reinstate the account of dreamtlove. She followed their rules and removed the scans and they still deleted her account. I hope you are happy, because now I AM BEING CHEWED OUT because of it for posting my opinion here and you seeing it causing her removal. So to help us all out, could you please talk with the Live Journal people and have her account reinstated. There was no cause to have her account removed. That was uncalled for. She's only 16 for heavens sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.