New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You did! What Happened?

Thanks SJohnson, Aw, she sound just adorable!:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think this is just about the first time any new character being introduced to Sesame Street got so much publicity. They must REALLY want Abby to work out.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I just checked out her site I see she has a wide range of characters besides Abby Cadabby.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Leslie Karrara's most probably best-known Muppet character so far is Spamela Hamderson from Muppets Tonight. She was also one of the two main voice actresses for this radio show about time-traveling historical misadventures, forget the show's name.
But I'm looking forward to hearing/witnessing her perform Abby Cadaby and Iris in Season 37, along with all the other new characters and episodes starting tomorrow.

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
I have to find some way to record it tomorrow. I hate messing with VCRs but I don't know how else to do it. Will someone record it for me?!

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
Is it my imagination or has the creation of new Muppet characters become much more political and economically-driven than it used to be? It seems in earlier times, the writers and creators of Sesame Street just created whatever characters struck their fancy. I mean, I can't imagine they brought in a bunch of kids to see how they liked Guy Smiley's look or debate how Guy could bring in merchandise sales.

I understand that the children's television market is way, way more competitive than when Sesame Street first started. Still, this article saddens me since it makes it sound like the current creators of the show have had to lose some spontaneity and make marketability more important than artistry.

Robin the Brave

BEAR

Reaction score
RobintheBrave said:
Is it my imagination or has the creation of new Muppet characters become much more political and economically-driven than it used to be? It seems in earlier times, the writers and creators of Sesame Street just created whatever characters struck their fancy. I mean, I can't imagine they brought in a bunch of kids to see how they liked Guy Smiley's look or debate how Guy could bring in merchandise sales.

I understand that the children's television market is way, way more competitive than when Sesame Street first started. Still, this article saddens me since it makes it sound like the current creators of the show have had to lose some spontaneity and make marketability more important than artistry.

Robin the Brave

Sorry, but I think I may have to disagree with you here.

DTWolf

Reaction score
I listened to the NPR segment just now. . . . It seems to me the voice didn't stay the same through the whole interview. At times it sounded a bit like Lily Tomlin's little-girl character (I can't think of the name--the one who always said "And that's the truth! THBBBPT!") and then thirty seconds later the voice would be different. Sometimes high, sometimes deep. Maybe it was just an off day for her, or maybe she's still working out just how Abby will sound. Either way, the voice isn't nearly as "cutesy-wutesy" annoying as many shows would make it. So Ms. Carrara-Rudolph has my thanks for that.

I'm all in favor of more high-profile female characters, but I'm skeptical any time somebody tries to design one specifically to be a star. It's tough to manufacture stardom (flash-in-the-pan boy bands notwithstanding--they go as quickly as they come). We'll see. I'll have to watch tomorrow's episode.

And I wish they'd give Prairie Dawn more screen time, stories, and, yes, merchandise. But >SIGH< Sesame Street has devolved into a younger kids' show, so poor Prairie's too old for their current target audience. . . .