New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Abby is supposed to be in a new episode this week or next.

Wasn't she only in... well... one minute of that episode? Seemed like a Contractual obligation to shoe horn her into the episode.

Abby's design was ment to not look look like Elmo, Grover, Zoe, Bert, Ernie, Oscar, Cookie or have that traditional "Muppet look". Abby was conceptualized as a way to simultaneously introduce a new female character to the show and add someone from a completly different culture (in order to do some episodes with "cultural differences/misunderstandings" without being so preachy). In an NPR interview it was said that Abby's design was an intentional departure from the typical "Muppet look", because she's not originally from the Sesame Street universe. The implication is that the fairies in her old neighborhood are like her and she doesn't quite fit the look of the rest of the world on Sesame Street.
Heh heh. Then, wouldn't she be a cheap sockpuppet or something? :crazy: She still looks like a Muppet to me.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Abby has potential, maybe new shows staring her...

Hello, I'm somewhat new here, and I seen this new character on the Street.

When I first saw this character I see so much potential as this new female character could bring Sesame Street away from Elmo's Grasp. No offense to Kevin Clash or Elmo in general, I just think that the company gave him too much power with his own fifteen minute show. :frown:

I think that a character like Abby with her own background could help bring Characters like Parie Dawn back into the lime light.

I figure that they should pair Abby up with several Sesame Street Character, trying to get to know them better. Like a refresher course to the new fans, on learning just what makes these characters special for us all. Also make these shows like the famous one hour show it should be. :grouchy:

Here some Ideas:

C is for...: pairs Abby up with Cookie Monster as both characters learn that there are different foods that start with C (including a reversion of C is for Cookie song by adding more healthing things that start with C), and seeing Cookie trying something health

What Slimey good for: Pairs Abby up with Slimey as Oscar and other explain why Slimey is so special to them all

Super Grover and his Super team of helpers: Pairs Abby up with Super Grover and is the somewhat adaptation to the Sesame Street live show starring Super Grover. When a crime spree spreads throughout the street (someone is stealing all the C in the neighborhood) and Super Grover is powerless to stop him alone, so Abby, Elmo and others try their best to help bring this criminal to justice.

My day with Big Bird: Explores the friendship between Big Bird and Abby further than shown during her debut. Abby learns more of Sesame Street through Big Bird, as they spend the day together and Big Bird tells Abby a bit of Sesame Street's history, including "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" song and special moments between a frog and an owner of a store.

Sesame Street fairy tale mix-up: pairs Abby up with Paire Dawn, as Paire Dawn is once again in charge of a traditional Sesame Street play, but instead of having to deal with the usual screw ups of her cast members, she "borrows" Abby's wand and transforms the entire street into a Fairy Tale mix-up, so the two of them must correct the fairy tales in order to break the spell.

That all I got for now, I want to know your opinion for shows like this ? :smirk:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Abby has potential, maybe new shows staring her...

Hello, I'm somewhat new here, and I seen this new character on the Street.

When I first saw this character I see so much potential as this new female character could bring Sesame Street away from Elmo's Grasp. No offense to Kevin Clash or Elmo in general, I just think that the company gave him too much power with his own fifteen minute show. :frown:

I think that a character like Abby with her own background could help bring Characters like Parie Dawn back into the lime light.

I figure that they should pair Abby up with several Sesame Street Character, trying to get to know them better. Like a refresher course to the new fans, on learning just what makes these characters special for us all. Also make these shows like the famous one hour show it should be. :grouchy:

Here some Ideas:

C is for...: pairs Abby up with Cookie Monster as both characters learn that there are different foods that start with C (including a reversion of C is for Cookie song by adding more healthing things that start with C), and seeing Cookie trying something health

What Slimey good for: Pairs Abby up with Slimey as Oscar and other explain why Slimey is so special to them all

Super Grover and his Super team of helpers: Pairs Abby up with Super Grover and is the somewhat adaptation to the Sesame Street live show starring Super Grover. When a crime spree spreads throughout the street (someone is stealing all the C in the neighborhood) and Super Grover is powerless to stop him alone, so Abby, Elmo and others try their best to help bring this criminal to justice.

My day with Big Bird: Explores the friendship between Big Bird and Abby further than shown during her debut. Abby learns more of Sesame Street through Big Bird, as they spend the day together and Big Bird tells Abby a bit of Sesame Street's history, including "Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" song and special moments between a frog and an owner of a store.

Sesame Street fairy tale mix-up: pairs Abby up with Paire Dawn, as Paire Dawn is once again in charge of a traditional Sesame Street play, but instead of having to deal with the usual screw ups of her cast members, she "borrows" Abby's wand and transforms the entire street into a Fairy Tale mix-up, so the two of them must correct the fairy tales in order to break the spell.

That all I got for now, I want to know your opinion for shows like this ? :smirk:

JLG

Reaction score
I only got to see the first ep she was in. (I almost never get to watch these days because I work a night shift, so I'm always sleeping in the morning)

I agree that she was WAY overhyped, which is why it's surprising to me that she's been in so few shows so far. When I read that Times article I immediately thought, like some of you guys, that it smacked of trying too hard, that the character seemed to P.C., calculated, and market-friendly. It made me pretty sad, actually.

Unfortunatly, I happen to be a sucker for cute characters. (I love Elmo as a character, but HATE the overexposure he's gotten lately) I don't like to go around saying "I hate so-and-so fictional character! I wish she'd die!" like a lot of people seem to. I'll give Abby a chance. She may yet just settle in, but I hate that the show is trying this hard. Sure, SS has always been the most exhaustively researched kid's show on television from day one, but the whole thing always managed to feel spontaneous anyway. Maybe because Henson and his crew were always given so much latitude with the material they had to work with. With Henson gone, and more importantly with the whole structure of the Muppet ownership changing in recent years, that relative freedom may have fizzled out, but that's just my speculation.

GrouchFanatic

Reaction score
I kinda expected that Oscar would be the 1st character that she was gonna meet. He's the 1st character you see at the beginning of her debut episode.:grouchy:

GrouchFanatic

Reaction score
They're just doin re-runs & a few of the new episodes lately. What do you mean where I am? Where are you?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm here. I'm just wondering if they were showing season 37 episodes in your area right now because that is the season where she meets Oscar.