Another controversary is done

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
You see, they were telling us this when I was in school, that Pluto technically wasn;t a planet. It just wasn't official. The newscaster here in NY made a pretty dry but funny joke when this story broke when he said "Pluto is no longer a planet, and that's just plain Goofy." Lol!
The only thing I was taught in school aboot Pluto is that it was technically a planet, BUT there was controversy as to whether or not it should be classified as a planet at all because it's so small.

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I think part of the issue here is that as astronomical observation tools improve, science is going to discover more and more large bodies that may be considered "planets" under the (fairly loose) existing definition, and they needed to nail down what was "officially" considered a planet. Either narrow it down to 8 of the current planets, or include an additional 3... and possibly a lot more!

After all - if the current 9 were tough to memorize in order, how are the next several generations gonna remember 12, 15, 20, or 37 planets?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once again, I find this the STUPIDEST debate since Walter Mithinson argued the existance of giant mutant ping pong balls against Myrtle, the Flying Toaster..... I've been hitting too hard into the Monty Python... sorry!

If it's a dwarf planet, it's still a planet. But if it isn't, just CHANGE the name of Planet Xena Warrior princes or one of the other Nearby new planets, like Planet "The Thing from the Fantastic Four" New Pluto or Pluto 2 or REAL Pluto.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
You see, they were telling us this when I was in school, that Pluto technically wasn;t a planet. It just wasn't official. The newscaster here in NY made a pretty dry but funny joke when this story broke when he said "Pluto is no longer a planet, and that's just plain Goofy." Lol!
Ha Ha. I like that. Thats funny.

Brinatello

Reaction score
muppetsforlife said:
I just remember the rhyme i learned in gradeschool to remember the planets. "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas."
Well, you can change it now to "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us...Nothing..." Hmm, what a lousy thing to do, Ma! :wink:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Personally, I think that if you're gonna let Mercury be a planet, then Pluto(which is bigger) should be a planet. Maybe they had to cut it because of Disney copyright laws prohibiting that planet from using the name of Mickey's dog.

Daniel

Katzi428

Reaction score
Brinatello said:
Well, you can change it now to "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us...Nothing..." Hmm, what a lousy thing to do, Ma! :wink:
LOL!
*in old lady voice* Gather 'round kiddies,so's Granny Kathy can tell you how she learned the planets!
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat on Needles & Pins.
*back to normal voice* So I guess the Pins will be taken away.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
Personally, I think that if you're gonna let Mercury be a planet, then Pluto(which is bigger) should be a planet. Maybe they had to cut it because of Disney copyright laws prohibiting that planet from using the name of Mickey's dog.

Daniel
LOL!!Good thinking!:smile:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
LOL!
*in old lady voice* Gather 'round kiddies,so's Granny Kathy can tell you how she learned the planets!
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat on Needles & Pins.
*back to normal voice* So I guess the Pins will be taken away.
:concern: That's gotta hurt

Daniel

airwalk

Reaction score
How do you think Sailor Pluto feels from Sailor Moon? When science starts putting innocent cartoon heroes out of a job, that's where I draw the line. :frown:

:wink: