My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to write a guide to Muppet Forum Acronyms. I'm never sure how to type AVMMMMCM, and now TGMMOAT has been replaced by TCMMEM... It's like reading Roman Numerals...
VMX is usually the one for A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
CMM should probably be for Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made

Just a thought. :smile:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I really can't blame that on Disney at all... just look at the face of TV. It's changed for the worse. Not even long lasting classics are safe. They canned Guiding Light, a long running (since radio) soap because the ratings sorta slipped... I don't care, but my mother was pretty upset. And what will they replace it with? Yet another TV Judge? A game show that will last a season at best? possibly just locally put infomercials in its place. Pushing Daisies couldn't garner enough ratings to justify the budget, I accept that fact... but they're replacing it with SITCOMS? ABC hasn't had a successful, long running sitcom since... well... the 80's with TGIF! They aren't even giving it another chance on another night.

NBC canceled My Name is Earl... not even because of ratings... they just want to make sure that that lousy Office clone "Parks and Recreation" lasts a full season. They're killing a high rated popular show so they can take a chance with a bunch of lame stuff that won't last a season.

I do NOT think this is a healthy climate for the Muppets to have a TV show. Not one lick. Disney owns a bunch of networks, yes... I know... but ABC doesn't know what it's doing, Disney Channel knows exactly what it's doing in a bad way, and ABC Family... I can't even finish that subject since I STILL don't know what it's about.

The only way we'd have a decent run for a Muppet show is for them to put it in Syndication. That's why The muppet Show lasted 5 years (ended only by Jim's blessing - similar to Jerry Seinfeld not wanting any more Seinfeld episodes). Networks passed on the show in the 70's... The Jim Henson Hour didn't even run its course... NBC pretended it was on another network. And ABC kept changing the schedule on Muppets Tonight... and it STILL lasted longer than JHH. Unfortunately Syndication is all about reruns and Judges now. Not even the low budget action Hercules knock off show.

I think there is a good chance we'll see a show... just not in this climate.

Totaly agree, could not have said it better. Not only that, but I feel the Heart of the Muppets is gone- it all seems forced and does not give the warm feeling that it used to have. Its all about cheep laughs now. I dont know if Disney could ever give the Muppets back their heart- no matter how much they spend, no matter how hard they try. :sympathy: It will take a VERY special person- with very special values, we need another Jim like fellow to lead them.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Someone needs to write a guide to Muppet Forum Acronyms. I'm never sure how to type AVMMMMCM, and now TGMMOAT has been replaced by TCMMEM... It's like reading Roman Numerals...

HAHAHA! I feel your pain, I agree. Im a huge Henson fan, but when I read posts with acronyms even I have a hard time. I sit there and go- "The Muppet Movie? no... Muppet Treasure Island? no... Muppets from Space? no not that either... A Very Merry Muppet Christmas? dang it..." lol

I still cant figure out what you ment by TGMMOAT.... :shifty:
The great muppet mush of apple toast?

lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not only that, but I feel the Heart of the Muppets is gone- it all seems forced and does not give the warm feeling that it used to have. Its all about cheep laughs now. I dont know if Disney could ever give the Muppets back their heart- no matter how much they spend, no matter how hard they try.

I don't think the heart is gone... just the brain. And when they tried to go to the Wizard for help, they lost even more of both of them. LTS proved to me the heart is still there... just hidden. Even the comic books have that feeling. But the brain is just as essential. I think the problem that plagued the franchise since Jim's passing was the bad decisions made as far as projects go. MFS was going to be a GOOD movie, but they had a director who thinks that putting wonderful characters in dull as dishwater mundane settings is the coolest thing ever.... and he also came up with BOTH Garfield films. What vision... :rolleyes:

beaker

Reaction score
Totaly agree, could not have said it better. Not only that, but I feel the Heart of the Muppets is gone- it all seems forced and does not give the warm feeling that it used to have. Its all about cheep laughs now. I dont know if Disney could ever give the Muppets back their heart- no matter how much they spend, no matter how hard they try. :sympathy: It will take a VERY special person- with very special values, we need another Jim like fellow to lead them.
The Muppets feel like their Muppety selves on most the Muppets.com sketches(to me) oddly enough. I think those are pure magic.

However, Im gonna be straight up...watching all the available footage(fan and pro filmed) on youtube from D23...I didn't ONCE get that goosebumpy, elated or magical feeling. While the magic seemed there from the Disneyland location shootings, harking back to M@WDW, the D23 almost seems to mark the beginning of a almost soul-less Muppet era.

And if Whitmire truly is gone...hoo boy...

I dont feel much magic with the Jim Henson Company much anymore, I hope they can at least do the FR film still but who knows at this point.

Why didn't I say that? :big_grin:

Say what you will about Disney's ownership... but we only had 3 cancelled projects... The Muppet Reality Show (which was a terrible Idea, and I'm glad it never got picked up), The Mockumentary (which would have been great... the only one I'm actually disappointed we didn't see), and the Election Special (which would have been, frankly, too rushed a concept, and we would have never seen LTS). The Halloween special is happening next year, so it hasn't officially been canceled...

How many projects did Henson not follow through with? The TBS show was mentioned... there was something else I can't remember, and the FR and DC movies are in development purgatory now... the FR one waiting for Weinstine to get someone to partner their partnership (epic eye roll... :rolleyes: )... and it took us a year to get SUDS. Frankly, if one thing Disney has that Henson doesn't, it's a stronger leadership. Heck, even before the buyout, weren't there like 3 more movies and 2 TV shows Henson was planning for the Muppets that never happened, and we only got Oz out of it?
Yeah I take JHC announcements with a shipload of salt. Their batting average is pretty poor in recent years in announcements versus actual production and execution.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I don't think the heart is gone... just the brain. And when they tried to go to the Wizard for help, they lost even more of both of them. LTS proved to me the heart is still there... just hidden. Even the comic books have that feeling. But the brain is just as essential. I think the problem that plagued the franchise since Jim's passing was the bad decisions made as far as projects go. MFS was going to be a GOOD movie, but they had a director who thinks that putting wonderful characters in dull as dishwater mundane settings is the coolest thing ever.... and he also came up with BOTH Garfield films. What vision... :rolleyes:
I disagree- I think Disney is the brains, they have put them on everything they can get their hands on- they know HOW to market them and how to get things done and funding and all that- its the CONTENT and WHERE they put them on- Disney has no shame and will put them anywhere to get the most out of them- Jim had standards, he could say "no thats not what we are about, and thats not the message we are trying to send" but it was his baby- his love. They need heart, they need to make the world a better place.

I still dont feel Im getting to what Im trying to say, let me start over

I personally feel that, who the muppets are- the reason I love them and understand them- its this warm fuzzy feeling they give me. Jim wanted to change the world for the better while making people smile. They have class while being silly. They make you want to reach for your dreams, and that nothing is impossible. I think Jim Henson is one of my heros because I want to be just like him- he had a love for life and wanted to share it with the whole world, and you saw this in everything he did. THIS is what is missing- not projects being done or more guest appearences, or even cheep laughs.

It makes me so angry what they have done with Kermit and Piggys relationship- I dont like to watch their guest appearences because its the SAME THING every time and its SO over done. Kermit shows up with female host, they ask where Piggy is, Piggy shows up, gets angry, chases Kermit off the stage- THE END I remember a time when they used to have guest appearences and they were FUNNY and had CHARM.

I stand by what I said- they are missing HEART.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, Im gonna be straight up...watching all the available footage(fan and pro filmed) on youtube from D23...I didn't ONCE get that goosebumpy, elated or magical feeling. While the magic seemed there from the Disneyland location shootings, harking back to M@WDW, the D23 almost seems to mark the beginning of a almost soul-less Muppet era.
It seemed soulless to me... but more because it was basically a commercial for itself. I didn't feel that zing and everything... but I'd hardly expect it when they're basically talking about how great Disney is. I'm sure things are going to get better with projects.

Still don't know what the shell's going on with Steve... and I think that may be the key to if they truly are going soulless or not.

unclematt

Reaction score
Has anything been said to make us believe that Steve is gone? I get a sinking feeling in my stomach every time I think about it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Two words which can sum up an answer to the this post:
Jim's gone.:frown:
Is there some knowledge that should be disclosed or is this Kermit-swap support purely based on personal opinion because it appears from your posts and forum name that you have a personal stake in Kermit finding a replacement performer? Just making sure this is all above board. :attitude:

Sure, Jim's been gone nearly two decades and Kemit has been expertly performed by one person. I don't see why that should change now. :sympathy: