Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Wel, I got them switched around, but It was definately a kiss between the two. I always wondered what would have happened if Luis never fell in love with Maria, and she maried David instead. What would have happened sice David sadly passed away?
That's certainly food for thought. In a similar way, I wonder what would have happened if Matt Robinson still played Gordon in later years, for one thing I'D know who the heck he was. What if Matt was playing Gordon last month when he died. Would Gordon die on the show? Would Susan and Gordon get a divorce and write him out of the show or something? I posted this on the Classic Muppets board, but no one responded and besides it is sort of more appropriate here anyway. Just something I've been thinking about.

Also. I have a theory. I have a feeling one of the educators or something had a problem with the Maria/David relationship, since it is a mixed couple, Maria being hhispanic, and David being African/American. I always wondered about that.
That's probably true. Since Maria (Sonia Marinzano) and Luis (Emillo Delagado, forgive my spelling) were both of Hispanic decent I guess the writers felt that they would make a better couple than Maria and David. But, I thought I'd state my own opinion about this. I really see nothing wrong with people of different cultures dating. If two people really care for each other they should be together. O.K., end of sermon. Lol.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
Actually, I remember reading that David was a drug addict or something in real life. I think he died because he got sick from eating grass or something. I'm not quite sure.
On the IMDB it's listed as stomach cancer.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
The stomach cancer thing is true. That's what he died of. (And he did look sick for a long time...he got bloated because of his cancer (and possibly as a side effect of medications he may have had to take), and you can see this on late-80s episodes of Sesame Street). Also, I do not believe one bit that Northern Calloway went insane. I have heard reports of it being true, but they all say it happened in 1980, not 1990...still, I don't believe it.

Splurge

Reaction score
Re: Some things to notice when watching

Originally posted by Drtooth

Richard Hunt is credited for an appearance, but only as an extra puppeteer. (I'm probably worng about this! WHo did Richard Hunt play? None of his regular characters were in the special)
Maybe he played Oscar during the scenes where he and Big Bird were in the same shot and his part of the dialouge was prerecorded. I'd have to look again.

Anyone else think this was Richard's handywork?

roadrat15

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
The stomach cancer thing is true. That's what he died of. (And he did look sick for a long time...he got bloated because of his cancer (and possibly as a side effect of medications he may have had to take), and you can see this on late-80s episodes of Sesame Street). Also, I do not believe one bit that Northern Calloway went insane. I have heard reports of it being true, but they all say it happened in 1980, not 1990...still, I don't believe it.
If he was they probably had him doped up on tranquilisers, 'cause he looked fine to me in 1980

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Maybe he played Oscar during the scenes where he and Big Bird were in the same shot and his part of the dialouge was prerecorded. I'd have to look again.
Yes. I mentioned that before. I think the best way to find that out would be to somehow make contact with Carroll Spinney and ask him if he had Richard helping him with that or something.

roadrat15

Reaction score
There must've been times when Oscar talked to Big Bird while inside his can . . .that would've been fixed in dubbing!

Elizabeth

Reaction score
David and Maria

"Also. I have a theory. I have a feeling one of the educators or something had a problem with the Maria/David relationship, since it is a mixed couple, Maria being hhispanic, and David being African/American. I always wondered about that."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just asked a question about David and Maria, and then found this thread after I posted it. I've wondered the same thing actually. Was there ever any explanation for bye bye David, hello Luis??

Elizabeth

Censored

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Also. I have a theory. I have a feeling one of the educators or something had a problem with the Maria/David relationship, since it is a mixed couple, Maria being hhispanic, and David being African/American. I always wondered about that.

That has crossed my mind too, but I certainly hope that's not the reason. :frown: I'd rather believe it was a practical decision because of Northern's failing health.

Still, for all their progressiveness, Sesame Street has traditionally played it fairly safe when it came to race and romance. Gordon and Susan, both African American; Bob and Linda both, Caucasian; and then eventually Luis and Maria both Hispanic.

Now, I have heard some things about Miles and Gabby dating on later episodes. Some of you will have to help me out with the details of this one because I haven't watched new episodes of Sesame Street for several years now.