Caveman Days

CBPuppets

Reaction score
You about those Caveman Days Skits on Sesame Street. What these sketches in the 80's or 90's?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Probably the 80s since Henson voiced Ernie. They did play one of those this season, the one where Ernie used the other side of his drum as a garbage can.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
It sure was the 1980's, pure classic Jim Henson at one of his best. I'm trying to remember if there was more than one Caveman Days segment...Anyone?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Probably the 80s since Henson voiced Ernie. They did play one of those this season, the one where Ernie used the other side of his drum as a garbage can.
That was so great! What happens in some of the others?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Gosh, I don't remember too many. Just that one and one where Ernie kept having Bert go outside to check on the weather and when he got tired of doing that, they invented the window so they can see through the wall. If there were more than these two, the rest of them escape me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Gosh, I don't remember too many. Just that one and one where Ernie kept having Bert go outside to check on the weather and when he got tired of doing that, they invented the window so they can see through the wall. If there were more than these two, the rest of them escape me.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey... I think I saw that one before too... it sounds awfully familiar...:confused:

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
I remember the caveman sketches, they began in the very early 70's, and finally peetered out in the late 80's or early 90's.

They usually involved 3 to 4 muppet characters led by their king (usually played by Ernie), who relied on their "Royal Smart Person" (usually played by Sherlock Hemlock) to solve any minute dilema they faced.

While I'm sure there were more, I can only remember 2 or 3 sketches.

1) The cavemen can't find their way out of their cave, & the royal "RSP" invents the exit sign (the sign being effective only if the caveman knew how to read).

2) King Ernie's teeth were dirty, & the "RSP" invents the toothbrush.

3) I can't exactly remember what the sketch was about, but it ended with the cavemen chasing the "RSP" because he hit King Ernie in the hand (or possibly foot) with a rock.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Chris Gawley said:
3) I can't exactly remember what the sketch was about, but it ended with the cavemen chasing the "RSP" because he hit King Ernie in the hand (or possibly foot) with a rock.
The Royal Smart Person had just invented a lightweight material called "paper" (even though this was when "nothing had been invented" yet) that was a substitute for how mail was normally written until that point: on flat rocks. The mailman was repeatedly dropping the rock mail on the king's foot.

Only problem was, paper is so light that the wind could blow it away. When the king asked the RSP how to prevent that "paper-stuff of yours" from blowing away, he said "put a rock on it." That was the stone that was dropped on the king's foot, prompting him to chase the RSP around in anger. "I am sorry, your majesty" he uttered as the scene faded out.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember one skit where Ernie played the caveman father and Bert played the caveman son. Bert had on a felt beanie and had buck teeth. They saw a stone DON'T WALK sign and Bert asked what that meant. Ernie explained that when you see that sign, you wait until dinosaurs and cars pass until the sign says walk again. Bert told Ernie that cars weren't invented yet and Ernie became embarrassed. Then a rectangle stone flipped over and covered the DON'T making it read WALK. And the caveman father and son crossed the road.