Muppet SNL Land of Gorch Skits coming to DVD

Squonk

Reaction score
Squigiman said:
Another thing. I felt strange, in that it seemed like I may have appreciated more bits, if there was audience laughter with it. Since this was and remains a live show, very proud of that fact, I was surprised at how often it was silent until the very ends of sketches, like the audience say the "APPLAUSE" light go on. The only real "joke" joke I remember appreciating, outside of what I mentioned, was one about stamps dedicated to prostitution, even though I feel it wasn't the first time I heard it.
I've never been clear on if these skits were performed live or were pre-recroded.

Anyone know?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Squonk said:
I've never been clear on if these skits were performed live or were pre-recroded.

Anyone know?
All of the skits were performed live -- the only exception was Peter Cook/Dudley Moore episode that sketch was pre-taped on January 10th during the pre-shoot of the Elliot Gould episode. All of the other 15 Gorch segments were all filmed live!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
You know, that would be great. I hated the bitter disdane the SNL cast had for the Muppets (outside of GIlda Radner, who appeared on TMS), and it seems they tried very hard to hide them from all retrospectives and stuff.
Actually, Chevy Chase also liked the Muppets. After all, why else would he appear in Follow That Bird?

Besides that, though, I heard from someone that he actually wrote one of the sketches where the Muppets returned to the show, the same one he appeared in alongside them toward the end of the season.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Actually, Chevy Chase also liked the Muppets. After all, why else would he appear in Follow That Bird?

Besides that, though, I heard from someone that he actually wrote one of the sketches where the Muppets returned to the show, the same one he appeared in alongside them toward the end of the season.
I wonder if the original casts opinions of the Muppets improved after The Muppet Show. Lorain Newman later performed the voice of Mommie Dodo in Follow That Bird, Jane Curtain made a guest appearance on Sesame Street, and Big Bird later appeared in an episode of Dan Akroyds series Soul Man (in addition to Frank Oz making cameos in some of Dan Akroyds films, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with what Dan Akroyd thought of the Muppets). Somehow I think that John Belushi would have been most likely to still hate the Muppets after The Muppet Show became popular.

Squonk

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
(in addition to Frank Oz making cameos in some of Dan Akroyds films, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with what Dan Akroyd thought of the Muppets
The Oz cameos in Aykroyd films I think have more to do with Oz's friendship with the director of those films John Landis. Landis is one of the king's of putting inside jokes in his movies...several of these involve Oz.

Oz appears as the police officer who gives John Belushi back his personal items at the beginning of "The Blues Brothers." Then they turned the role around as he plays an officer who checks in Aykroyds personal items in "Trading Places." Oz of course reprised his Blues Brothers role in "Blues Brothers 2000" also. He's also a test monitor in "Spies Like Us." I think I've heard he has a cameo in "Into the Night," but I havent' seen it. And of course, the Muppets appear on TV in "An American Werewolf in London."

My favorite of the Oz references, though, is when you can hear "Paging Mr. Frank Oznowicz" during the scene where Eddie Murphy arrives at the airport in New York in "Coming to America."

It's also worth noting that Oz repaid the favor to Landis in his solo directing debut "The Muppets Take Manhattan." John Landis plays the broadway producer who is visited by "a frog with an afro." (Boffo Lenny! Socko Lenny!)

Oh, I almost forgot another reference to Oz in "The Blues Brothers." Right before Jake and Elwood crash their car through the toy store. A customer goes up to the counter holding, if I remember correctly, a Grover doll and asks "Do you have the Miss Piggy" while there is also an Animal doll visible on the counter. All Oz characters, of course.

Movie in-jokes are an interest of mine, what can I say.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Squonk said:
I think I've heard he has a cameo in "Into the Night," but I havent' seen it. And of course, the Muppets appear on TV in "An American Werewolf in London."

My favorite of the Oz references, though, is when you can hear "Paging Mr. Frank Oznowicz" during the scene where Eddie Murphy arrives at the airport in New York in "Coming to America."
No, Frank Oz does not have a cameo in Into the Night. Jim Henson does. But I've heard that Into the Night also has a "Paging Mr. Frank Oznowicz" line.

Squonk

Reaction score
Just FYI: The SNL first season episodes are now available for download individually or as a set on iTunes.

If anyone has a guide as to what the Muppet segments are on which episodes, some might be interested if they are looking to download specific segments.

Squigiman

Reaction score
I just noticed nobody's answered my "darts" question. Is everyone else just as clueless as I am as to what this means? Thanks.

-Squigiman