Was this song banned?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Banned? I don't get it either. They play it on the radio here sometimes; it's a good song.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh... What song are we talking about?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh OK... No, the song "I Want A Monster To Be My Friend" wasn't banned. However, there is a line of its lyrics that was deemed inappropriate by the standards of the 1970's, which labeled that particular version "banned" before the "questionable" line was changed.
You can find out more by searching for the song at http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/sesame1.html

Hope this helps and have a good night.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just because it is included frequently on the radio of a fan site (especially one that's not mantained or approved by Sesame Workshop) does not mean that it is not banned. The Muppet Wiki page quotes an article about a line that was either going to be cut or the song was either going to stop being shown. The lines that seemed innappropiate were replaced in Elmopalooza. It seems like it must have been banned, because it was not included on the rereleases of Born to Add or Monsters, two albums that originally included the song. It was also never shown on Noggin, though I don't know if Noggin actually showed any episodes that originally included it.

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
The Count said:
However, there is a line of its lyrics that was deemed inappropriate by the standards of the 1970's, which labeled that particular version "banned" before the "questionable" line was changed.
Actually, it was the deemed inappropriate in 1984.

Kiki

Reaction score
Ohhhhh, I kinda geddit now.