Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

fatblue

Reaction score
I don't think were going to see a Vol. 2. A lot of retailers didn't carry it in there stores because the were told that it was ment for adults and not kids. thats why i think a alot of stores only sold it on there web sites.
Well, I sure hope they release other volumes. Calling it 'Vol 1' would only make one assume there is more to come. While this a good DVD set, they barely scratch the surface of old school SS, there are still many other skits and characters that were left out. With so much more footage to go, I'm sure they will produce a volume 2, 3 or more! Plus, this is for both adults AND kids.

LadyVader

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
why would they not carry it because of that? That doesn't make any sense.
That what I was told by the Store Manger in BestBuy

LadyVader

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Well, I sure hope they release other volumes. Calling it 'Vol 1' would only make one assume there is more to come. While this a good DVD set, they barely scratch the surface of old school SS, there are still many other skits and characters that were left out. With so much more footage to go, I'm sure they will produce a volume 2, 3 or more! Plus, this is for both adults AND kids.

the little cartoon at the frount of the frist show say this is for Adults and not for kids of pre-shool age it is not ment for learning. That why i think the Stores are makeing it so hard to find it because the can't put out with the other SS DVD's

fatblue

Reaction score
Ss Dvd

LadyVader said:
the little cartoon at the frount of the frist show say this is for Adults and not for kids of pre-shool age it is not ment for learning. That why i think the Stores are makeing it so hard to find it because the can't put out with the other SS DVD's
Hmm, well you could have fooled me, because I'm sure many pre-schoolers can learn for this. Is The Electric Company DVD suited for adults more than kids? It would only make sense I think. If they are releasing a 2nd set of that, then I'm sure SS will follow.

LadyVader

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Hmm, well you could have fooled me, because I'm sure many pre-schoolers can learn for this. Is The Electric Company DVD suited for adults more than kids? It would only make sense I think. If they are releasing a 2nd set of that, then I'm sure SS will follow.

Do you own this set yet??? and seen the opening cartoon.

fatblue

Reaction score
Ss Dvd

Just got it in fact, and yes, I saw the opening cartoon, of course,but I don't agree with it. I'm pretty sure that in the near future we'll see more stuff, because I think many of it is too classic and plain good to just be kept stored away.

LadyVader

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Just got it in fact, and yes, I saw the opening cartoon, of course,but I don't agree with it. I'm pretty sure that in the near future we'll see more stuff, because I think many of it is too classic and plain good to just be kept stored away.

I think that opening cartoon is why the stores are not carrieing it because they don't have any where to put something like that.

dvakman

Reaction score
Marky said:
I'm not sure it's an issue of today's kids not liking the older stuff at all. It's just retor-active censoring as the paranoid P.C. weenies are in charge of kids viewing now.
Yeah, and it may be a case of wounded pride too. The quality of the show back then is so much better than what is being produced now, and there is so much love and nostalgia for the first 23 years as opposed to the last 14, that there may have been a little resistence from the current powers that be to get this set released. Some of the disclaimers and the insert in the booklet may have been put there to placate those who want to believe that only their current show is "right" for kids. Meanwhile, my kids actually are connecting to Sesame for the first time because of the release of the old shows.

The marketing angle is a little suspect too. Apparently a lot of stores aren't carrying the set because, again, the powers that be told them it was "only for adults". Is someone afraid that this set might catch on with today's kids (as it has with mine), and bring the effectiveness of the current format into question? I hope this lousy marketing scheme doesn't prevent another volume from being produced.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
dvakman said:
Yeah, and it may be a case of wounded pride too. The quality of the show back then is so much better than what is being produced now, and there is so much love and nostalgia for the first 23 years as opposed to the last 14, that there may have been a little resistence from the current powers that be to get this set released. Some of the disclaimers and the insert in the booklet may have been put there to placate those who want to believe that only their current show is "right" for kids. Meanwhile, my kids actually are connecting to Sesame for the first time because of the release of the old shows.
I have to admit, a similar thought had occured to me. They've invested all this attention, time and money into "Elmo's World"* and the new format. Now some kids might notice Sesame Street performs just fine without them.

But that's great that your kids like the DVD. At least they've made it available to new and old generations at all.

*Notice, I said "Elmo's World", not Elmo. As we often say, he was just fine in his early episodes.

Zet

Reaction score
set delivered for $19.14 (good until tomorrow)

If anyone's strapped for cash you can get the set new from deepdiscountdvd for $19.14 including shipping.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON000102

Enter coupon code OAKLAND for 20% off on your order.
There are actually a few coupon codes that do the same thing I believe (e.g. SUPERSALE) but you can only use one at a time and they probably all end tomorrow (the 18th) like the oakland one.
Also the 20% off applies to your whole order if you want to pick up some other stuff while you're there. Each particular code can only be used once I believe.