How to Make Puppet Eyes

Greedo

Reaction score
I read that Rick Lyon used this custom-made machine that dispenses these "VacuuForm" eyeballs for his Ave. Q work. They're very high quality eyes, but I'm not sure if it's an easily attainable technique, machine, or material. Otherwise, I'd improvise on the eyes.

I have always marveled at the googly eye effect of Cookie Monster. How is this achieved?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
wow! usually I use black felt for the pupils then attach it to the eye piece afterwards.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I think for googly eyes they have a pin attached to the pupil that limits the travel or an outside plastic casing...just guessing.

The hardest thing for me is cutting a ping pong ball in half evenly and smoothly....any tips for that?

wes

Reaction score
Here's a Good one I have a friend that has a Graphic Design place,(the places that makes lettering for windows and cars) the stuff he uses is Vinyl, almost like stickers, He made me three different sizes of pupils and all I had to do is pill and stick. the vinyl is very shiney and reflects the light great I used it on Winston puppet I just made.

If you can Find a Graphic Desing Place get you some He made me Like 50 pupils for like $20, I little expensive but pays off in the end.

Conor IX

Reaction score
The hardest thing for me is cutting a ping pong ball in half evenly and smoothly....any tips for that?
Sandpaper is the way forward. Cut with a scalpel. Scalpels have sharper blades than an exacto knife would have. Then use heavy grit sandpaper to get the ping pong balls to the right size, then fine grit to get them nice and smooth. Sandpaper is also key to getting the dunlop logo off the balls without smearing the ink, or wrecking the ball.