How about Snuffy?

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Hey, I did my part. I think I earned this muffin...

:big_grin:

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but during the credits of 1575 (from 1981), Michael Davis is given a credit, and Marty Robinson is nowhere to be found. I think Davis also performed Telly at the time.

Greg

Splurge

Reaction score
gbrobeck said:
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but during the credits of 1575 (from 1981), Michael Davis is given a credit, and Marty Robinson is nowhere to be found. I think Davis also performed Telly at the time.

Greg
I think that Telly was Brian Muehl. Is he listed in the credits?

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I think that Telly was Brian Muehl. Is he listed in the credits?

Yeah he was. Its just that I personally thought that Telly and Snuffy sounded very similar in that episode. I could very easily be wrong though. How long was Brian in the role?

Greg

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I always understood that it started with Jerry Nelson who had back problems with the puppet, and it went to Richard Hunt for a bit, then to Marty Robinson.

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Maybe Richard performed the back half....would he get credited for Snuffy for that? I've NEVER heard Snuffy with a Richard-esque voice.

My theory, get ready to shoot it down guys, it that there is no Mr. Davis...I think that Jerry performed Snuffy right up until 80' when Robinson took over.
I say we ignore the documented credits and just smile and hum and pretend this whole thing neeeeever happened :wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yessir. Though, I'd like to know for sure, I can accept that theory.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Hey gang,

I was wondering. How did Mr. Snuffleupagus come about in 1971? Was Snuffy Jim Henson's creation and did he pursuade Jerry Nelson to perform him? Didn't Richard Hunt inherit the role in 1977?

I have your answer from Sesame Workshop: Maggie Stack has responded to my email today:
Kevin,

The answer to your question can be found in "Sesame Street Unpaved -
scripts, stories, secrets, and songs" by David Borgenicht (Hyperion, 1998).
Quoted from page 41:

SECRET SNUFFLEUPAFACTS: Mr. Snuffleupagus was originally played by Jerry Nelson, but the costume hurt Jerry's back so much that he had to give up the part to Martin Robinson, who has played Snuffy for more than eighteen years."

I hope you find this information helpful. Thank you for your interest in
Sesame Workshop!

Kind regards,

Maggie

Michael Earl

Reaction score
Jeffrey Gray said:
He says he performed the front half and the voice, and he may very well have had a voice for Snuffy that was similar to Jerry's, but I have a theory is that the producers didn't think that he sounded enough like Snuffy, and had Jerry Nelson dub him over with his voice...however, since Davis has never said anything confirming this, I have no idea if my theory is true...
I lip-synced to jerry's voice my first season. The next two seasons I did the voice. My back end was played first by Brian muehl, then Frank Kane and then Byran.

Michael Earl davis