RETURN TO LABYRINTH Manga My opinion

Laszlo

Reaction score
Just got my copy yesterday. Well, I like the cover (even if that isn't Bowie...
is it a female Jareth?) and the Dark Crystal preview.

But the Manga itself? Let's just say: Next time spend more time on QUALITY drawings and a better story. I would have preferred half as much pages but better images. As it is, it is terrible to look at, which makes it hard to read through.

Disappointed. Just my opinion

quixotic

Reaction score
With so many bad reviews from Labyrinth fans, I'm saving my money, I have seen the poster, which I thought wasn't that bad, and I've seen glimpses online, but I think that this is one thing I am not going to part with my cash for.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes save your money and spend it on the GOBLINS OF THE LABYRINTH reprint instead! :wink:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
:boo: :sleep: I hate manga anyways and anime it's killing american animation and art.
I'd never would have wasted my time and money on this when they should have paid brian froud to do a book or something.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, don't ask me how this got approved by the Henson company...
:confused:

quixotic

Reaction score
Hey Hey, the JimHensonHour, wait a minute, there should be room for every kind of art form, and I don't agree that Manga or Anime is 'killing' American art, Some films like Howl's Moving Castle are great. Brian Froud is actually English anyway. But I do agree that a Brian Froud Comic would be awesome! And probably more fitting as he created the look of the film orginally.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
:boo: :sleep: I hate manga anyways and anime it's killing american animation and art.
I'd never would have wasted my time and money on this when they should have paid brian froud to do a book or something.
Here's a little Japanese cultural note. Japanese people consider all comic books and animation to be anime or manga whether they be from America, Japan, or Fairyland.

alorindanya

Reaction score
Actually, the storyline isn't all that bad (very comedic, just like the movie was), and I think that the artist does a great job with the little touches (like the Star Wars action figures in Toby's bedroom).

If you love Labyrinth, support it. It has potential. None of us can make a final judgement until vol. 3 is out.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
quixotic said:
Hey Hey, the JimHensonHour, wait a minute, there should be room for every kind of art form, and I don't agree that Manga or Anime is 'killing' American art, Some films like Howl's Moving Castle are great. Brian Froud is actually English anyway. But I do agree that a Brian Froud Comic would be awesome! And probably more fitting as he created the look of the film orginally.
It's not the art it's self that bothers me...actully it sort of does because for the most part almost all of it looks the same and you can hardly tell the differnce between male and female characters.
But thats seriously not what bothers me it's the over abundance of anime and this manga stuff all over the comic conventions it's just another passing fad and that is what bothers me art should be all kinds not just this stuff and americans trying to rip it off on cartoon network and doing a horrid job at it may I add. Just my 2 cents:big_grin:
Infinity Sirius said:
Here's a little Japanese cultural note. Japanese people consider all comic books and animation to be anime or manga whether they be from America, Japan, or Fairyland.
well I'm not from Japan now am I lol. I like the fact that all art is differnt if everthing was known as one thing to me I would feel life would be rather boring.

edible eye

Reaction score
It stinks, story and all. "supporting it" isn't a good idea.