So, it's come to this, has it?

Drtooth

Reaction score
AP said:
Companies to Rewrite Rules on Kid's Ads

Ten Major food and drink makers, including McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and Campbell Soup, announced yesterday that their child-oriented advertising will do more to promote health foods and exercise. The companies agreed to reduce the use of outside characters-think Little Mermaid and Shrek- to pitch unhealthy foods. They also said they would not advertise in elementary schools.
Well, I guess they finally bowed down to the annoying skinny health food advocates that have been pushing for this for so long. I guess this means we'll clearly see an end to all those great commercials with cartoon characters that have their own brand of cereals. Not to mention, this could (but I'm hoping not) kill collectable figurines in Kid's meals based on cartoon characters.

While I do think these companies should make some sort of step towards getting kids healthy, this pretty much will not work. Or resort to silly extremely bad junk food ads where they hock a fatty product (like Lunchables) and add 3 seconds of telling kids to play some stupid sport.

I do agree we need to do something about the children's health... but did you SEEany of these health food advocates? They're all well to do thin people with bratty kids they can't control. They feel that the old advertisments "Brainwash kids into wanting" said foods. Are you kidding me? Isn't the entire point of advertising to make an unappealing product into something that everyone doesn't need, but feels empty unless they go out and grab it right now? These advocates always complain about how their kids throw a temper tantrum because mommy wants to buy some $5 organic cereal that tastes like mulch, and not the shiney box with Spongebob on it. I mean, while you're at it, try getting rid of toy commercials, because it promotes avarise and greed. Your kid will throw the same temper tantrum if you don't get him a deluxe green ranger figure.

I know their hearts seem like they're in the right place, but if you can't raise your own kids, what gives you the right to raise everyone else's?

MrsWembly

Reaction score
I just think fast food restaurants need to stop cooking in trans fat oil. I think one of the main problems is that working families can hardly find the time to go shopping and cook balanced meals every night. Working class people have to work all the time to make ends meet and probably pick up fast food for their kids more they should. But I can't blame the parents. I can only imagine how hard it must be, especially for single moms. I don't even have children and sometimes its hard for me to find the time to cook for myself. :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
I just think fast food restaurants need to stop cooking in trans fat oil. I think one of the main problems is that working families can hardly find the time to go shopping and cook balanced meals every night. Working class people have to work all the time to make ends meet and probably pick up fast food for their kids more they should. But I can't blame the parents. I can only imagine how hard it must be, especially for single moms. I don't even have children and sometimes its hard for me to find the time to cook for myself. :attitude:
Exactly. Did anyone really stop to think that the most overweight people in this country are poor? The reason being is that a lot of working families have to buy foods for dinner... and take a wild guess what the ONLY thing they can afford it. That's what bugs me. All the people who are complaining about this stuff are well to do, and pretty dang thin too.

I am glad to hear about them testing various ways to remove the dreaded Transfat from fast foods. Plus, I have to give them credit for adding salads to the menu (Wendy's and McDonalds anyway, with Burger King, it seems like a contractual obligation).

I never thought this day would come...hmmm wow
I don't know the extent of this damage will be. Personally, I just hope it doesn't stop the practice of putting cartoon characters on Cereal boxes. I mean, it will eventually end the great cartoon cereal commercials. AS I've said before, Bullwinkle and Yogi Bear did it in the 60's. Heck, there was even an ENTIRE cartoon show based on characters on cereal boxes.(Linus the Lionhearted. In fact, the only character to exist after the show is Sugar Bear).

I just think it's sad such a classic part of our pop culture is going away.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I have to give them credit for adding salads to the menu (Wendy's and McDonalds anyway, with Burger King, it seems like a contractual obligation).
I don't know. I read something not to long ago that said "Going to McDonald's for salad is like going to the crack house to get your vitamins."

That kind of makes sense to me. I mean, considering the nutritional value of a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder and Chicken McNuggets, and how the meat in them is processed at all stages of the production line, can we really expect their vegetables to be any better? I once read that McDonald's treats its lettuce with no less than fifteen different chemicals just so they can maintain its crispness. Pretty scary stuff. :eek:

MrsWembly

Reaction score
I read that they add sugar to the lettuce to keep it fresher longer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
I completely agree, if you're working and have limited means, what are you supposed to do everynight? It's great to promote healthy eating, but the source of the problem also needs to be addressed. But it's not PC to discuss the ever present class system in the U.S. :stick_out_tongue: