Getting to know the Sesame Street Animators

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Hey, Boober Gorg...do you know who did the Billy Joe Jive segments? Or is that another thing you haven't figured out yet.

Also, in case you want to know of another SS animator, I think Ken Snyder (who did Roger Ramjet, among other cartoon series) worked on SS segments at some point...I learned that from a now-closed site with a filmography of his, but I dunno what segments he worked on...

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Hey, Boober Gorg...do you know who did the Billy Joe Jive segments? Or is that another thing you haven't figured out yet.
I don't know what those are. Got any images or descriptions?

Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Also, in case you want to know of another SS animator, I think Ken Snyder (who did Roger Ramjet, among other cartoon series) worked on SS segments at some point...
Maybe some of the 1969 color segments, as seen in the first few episodes.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
A long time ago, back in 1998 or something, I was surfing the net and I found out about this 1996 screening exhibition called 25 Years of Animation For Sesame Street. I guess since I can't find the link anymore, I decided to start this thread.

Does anyone have any info on this? Did anyone here attend said screening?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
"Billy Joe Jive" was a series of mid-70s cartoon segments about a black kid detective (Billy Joe Jive) who solved mysteries in New York City...maybe you've seen them, and you just don't remember them...they were still airing in 1986, when you started watching the show.

I'm sure someone else can describe them in further detail...

ssetta

Reaction score
I feel like I should reply to this. It's amazing you know all those animators! I happen to know a lot of songwriters for that stuff, and they're often writers who only ever did one thing for the show. Where do you get all that information?

KPrell

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Don't forget the great Bud Luckey, who designed, animated and created the music for 'That's About the Size of It' and 'The Alligator King'.

I met him while working at Pixar. He's been a designer there for many years. His original, beautiful storyboards for 'That's About the Size of It' are displayed at Pixar. I'll ask him for more info on his work and other animators for the show.

David Rudman's company has done some animation for Sesame Street recently but I'm not sure which bits.

cheers,

Karen

mikealan

Reaction score
SS Animators: Who are they?

Okay, okay. Do any of you guys know who wrote the "E...E...See me...eating a peach" animation?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Karen,

Thanks for sharing about 'That's About the Size of It' and 'The Alligator King'. Those are two of my all-time favorite Sesame animation bits. Just shows how talented Bud Luckey is to design, animate, AND write the music for those pieces.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
THE ALLIGATOR KING...

I LOVE that!! It's one of my favorite things on SS!!

FOZ

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by ssetta
I feel like I should reply to this. It's amazing you know all those animators! Where do you get all that information?
It's a long story, but it involved years of research. One of my (long) replies in this thread answers your question to some extent.