Getting to know the Sesame Street Animators

Zet

Reaction score
info on the Hubleys

a bio from PBS site

unfortunately (and ironically) just a blurb about their Sesame involvement and no pics that I could recognize...but a nice bio anyway (links at bottom of that page to more).

Only thing from Electric Company was two pics:
Letterman
and
Truth Ruth (pic on the left)

you might recognize their work in other Sesame films from those examples, though their style could apparently vary quite a bit.
-Zet

Splurge

Reaction score
One of the animations I can recognize as Hubley is the polar bear who brandished the "EXIT" sign. Another is the "SToP" animation, where a bouncing "o" kept being told to stop.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
News Flash: Guess Who's Coming To DeAnza!!

This Saturday, as part of my temporary Saturday-only visiting animators course, my class will have an opportunity to meet the great "Bud" Luckey, whose recent Pixar short, Boundin', just got nominated for an Oscar. And Pixar is allowing Bud to show it in that class, so I'll be one of the first here to see it, before The Incredibles hits the theaters! :big_grin: :crazy: :big_grin: :crazy: :big_grin:

If there's any questions you feel like asking him, post 'em right here and I'll see what I can do (chances are they'll be asked by someone else - either way I'll be taking notes).

spinwithagrin

Reaction score
Oh man - Billy Joe Jive! That's a blast from my past I can still remember that line he always had "I'm Billy Joe Jive super crime fighting ..... my partner Suzy Sue (was that her name?) and I are on the case".

Well that's just me reminicing - wouldn't have a clue on any of the animator's identities there were just so many of those short little incidental shorts (12 Lady bugs picnic, the letter 'J' train "now I'm just ..J..J..J..junk" so many others..) that have been stored away in the grey matter over the years.

Anyway boober best of luck with compiling your list!

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Jeffrey Gray said:
Also, in case you want to know of another SS animator, I think Ken Snyder (who did Roger Ramjet, among other cartoon series) worked on SS segments at some point...I learned that from a now-closed site with a filmography of his, but I dunno what segments he worked on...
If this is true, then Ken Snyder must have done that cartoon where the man plays his captial letter U like a guitar. You see, there was an episode of Roger Ramjet that started with the narrator saying something like, "As the episode begins we find Scotland Yard's greatest detective Armlock Hurts, playing his Violin". Indeed he is, and he is playing extactly the same thing that the man in the letter U cartoon was playing! :eek:

Reaction score
More Hubley Animations (apparently)

More animation that looks like it's by the Hubleys:

S - A man has to dodge the "S" modes of transporation as he names them (scooter, skis, speedboat, subway...). At the end of the segment, they're all approaching him together from the distance, and just as they're about to hit him, he yells, "STOP!", and they all freeze.

V - A letter V is sitting listlessly atop a wall. The announcer says, "V is for Vitamins. You forgot to take your Vitamins." The V gulps down some polka-dots (the vitamins) and is suddenly full of "Vim", "Vigor" and "Vitality". This prompts the background to go all abstract polka-dotty, to an upbeat jazz piano tune. (Remember, the Hubleys did a number of animated shorts to jazz soundtracks.)

"Hey Diddle Diddle" - Jazz song aired on "The Electric Company", sung by a jazz trio of cats with 2 fat female cat backup singers (wearing large hats).

Opening credits for "Vegetable Soup" (produced by the New York State Department of Education in the early 1970s).

Reaction score
I've Got a Mind...

Does anyone know who did the "I've Got a Mind" segments?

Each one started with a blank screen, on which a short horizontal line appeared, followed by an identical line beside it. Then hands appeared beside the lines, and a longer line appeared below the first lines. Then that line would turn into a smile.

The new character would then juggle some balls and recite this poem:

"I've got a mind
And my mind helps me
With ev'rything I do, or
See."

The segments proceeded differently from there.

One went:

"My mind tells me this is a toy
A wind-up, walking little boy"

When the character wound it up, it didn't work, so he gave it a bit of a nudge. And it turned around a bit him!

In another segment, the character found a ball, which then deflated.

In another segment, he found a box and reached inside it to try to figure out what it held. It was full of glue!

Does anybody know who did this?

Reaction score
Early Sesame Street Animation Art online

:excited:

Besides the "Billy Joe Jive" cels, TheDeepArchives animation store also has cels from "Twelvia", "Cooperation", "Cousin Canny" and "Fruita Mansana" (all by Irra Verbitsky), and what appears to be the complete series of storyboard drawings for "The Letter H" (appears to have been done by Cliff Roberts).

http://www.thedeeparchives.com/products.php?studio=ctw&ctgy=aa