Hand Biting kids

wes

Reaction score
I saw this Video over at the Wippets Blog By way of Bucks blog Whats the deal with Kids sticking their hands in puppets Mouths. We probably have had this disscsion before Here's the video: Seth reads Green Eggs & Ham to Barff.

That just Amazes me Every child who gets close to a puppet does that, it anoys me, But hey there children. I would like to see what the sycologoy on that is?

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Wow, I'm not the only one with that problem. :stick_out_tongue: I have no idea why they do that. Maybe it's some sort of subconscious action determined by the child's ongoing confusion over whether the puppet is a living thing. Or maybe kids just like putting their hands in stuff that they're curious about. It's a great way to gain tactile sensory information. :zany:

wes

Reaction score
Giar Fraggle said:
Wow, I'm not the only one with that problem. :stick_out_tongue: I have no idea why they do that. Maybe it's some sort of subconscious action determined by the child's ongoing confusion over whether the puppet is a living thing. Or maybe kids just like putting their hands in stuff that they're curious about. It's a great way to gain tactile sensory information. :zany:
Woo, that was a mouth full but yeah that what I think!! any body esle have any Ideas

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
it doesnt bother me to much but after a while they start pulling at the puppets and trying to slap them..so i try to avoid the bitting all together

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
My biggest problem with my sort of lifelike Grover is they want to grab his big nose, but I think it's just glued on so it scares me. It's cool they want to get closer and are interested, but they can hurt our puppets! I try to yell for mommy when it happens, but sometimes their mom doesn't care either.

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
some people don't know how much time is spent on creating our works of art so they don't care...

i make funny faces at my kids and they try to put their hands in my mouth... and as far as my kids go, i try to explan that it hurts the puppet if they do that...

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Well, they're just kids. You can't really expect them to understand how much work goes into creating a puppet. :smirk:

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
i meant the parents... sorry i didn't specify there... i know kids don't know...

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I usually let the child explore for a bit , if I find the behaviour continuing I try to change the subject or get the child to think of something else. If the behaviour still continues usually I will step in and let the child know that they have to be nice to the puppet. I'm also 6'2" so if they still continue destructive behaviour I will usually have the puppet stop the conversation and take an "elevator" up high so they can chat with the child higher up. Just watch for kids trying to jump up or hitting you in a region you'd rather not them hitting ....if you know what I mean. :smile: