Dark Crystal/Labyrinth Busts, What Do you think?

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:smile:

I am glad to see that there are Dark Crystal & Labyrinth Collectables coming out, but I don't really like them. The busts I think are horrible actually. It's not that the detail or anything is that bad but the quality and design is what gets to me.

I have the Skeksis Chamberlain bust for example, and one of his spikes broke right off the second I touched him, and I hate that he is on the crystal. What is with this whole Bust Idea? Why can't they make figures of the charactors, like they did with Jen and Kira ( they weren't perfect either but atleast better than the busts)

Even the new Jareth Bust, couldn't they have put his whole body? maybe sitting on the crystal ball?

I would go for the Bust idea if it was just the head and no other objects that don't seem to go with them visually.

What do you think??:smirk:

Land Strider

Reaction score
Are there photos of these somewhere? I'd love to see for myself, but I'm not happy with the idea of merchandise for these films not looking "right."

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have all the busts and I think they're ok.
IMO they choosed bad poses for those, except Aughra, she is well designed but the details could be better and her horns are posed too high.

The Jareth bust is well detailed but the facial expression turns it off to me.

The new Urskeks is nice but: His hands are way too large and the whole bust doesn't stand perpendicularly! What were they thinking???

The Garthim Master is nice, and well painted. The pose is a bit strange to me.
Plus it is back heavy, so be carefull when touching him.

The Mystic is good too, but the skin colors and textures are a bit off. His clothing is very well done.

The Chamberlain Skeksis is ok, the head sculpt isn't very accurate and the yellow colors wrong on him. But he still looks nice.

Laszlo

Reaction score
MarieIsabella said:
Hi Everyone:smile:

What is with this whole Bust Idea? Why can't they make figures of the charactors, like they did with Jen and Kira ( they weren't perfect either but atleast better than the busts)
According to PLAN B busts are cheaper to produce than full statues.
But you're right I would prefer full statues too.
The best bust in the line is Aughra IMO. Well, it's the only one where I think the pose is perfect and the bust design makes sense. Detailwise it could be better though...

monster maker

Reaction score
They arent bad, Aughra is about the best of the bunch, but i am biased as she and hoggle have allways been my favourites, they just have a great design, i am hoping to get some life sized busts sculpted up after christmas

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Question about the busts,

I thought Chamberlin was made by side show toys? Maybe plan B toys are just featuring the item, or side show was featuring it not sure.

I checked out the website for the busts, Aughra is definately not bad! I didn't know they produced so many so far!

I wonder if people who liked these movies are working on it, because if your a fan your more likely to do an accurate reproduction. I know I would!!

Thanks for everyone to replying I love to have people I can talk about this with:smile:

Laszlo

Reaction score
MarieIsabella said:
Question about the busts,

I thought Chamberlin was made by side show toys? Maybe plan B toys are just featuring the item, or side show was featuring it not sure.

Hi,
Sideshow only did the Gelfling dolls. They had plans to do a Skeksis and Mystic doll as well, but those were cancelled.

JMPrater

Reaction score
The dolls made of Jen and Kira by Side Show Toys were abortions.

I've always wondered if the craftsman/woman who made the busts for the original molds even took the time to actually watch The Dark Crystal or study the faces of the gelflings before crafting them?

I hope new versions can be made that reflect their originals. I wouldn't be caught with one of those abominations in my home....LOL

J.M. Prater

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Sideshow Jen and Kira Figures

Well.. I'm guilty of having these figures, lol.:big_grin:

I actually liked the original one of Jen from pre production, i asked side show toys if i could have that one but ofcourse that wasn't for sale. I admit they aren't perfect, but I really wanted figures of my favorite movie so I got them anyways.

My mom a few years back was going to make me a stuffed doll of jen, but only got the doll done without any eyes, clothes, hair or details.

The Kira figure isn't that bad. I think she is the best of the two.

I ended up making a brown cape like thing for jen, to made him my own a few years ago, and a little night eye cap that said his name on it to. I am really a child at heart and I am not ashamed to admit he had a place on my bed for a while, lol.:smile:

I had them displayed with Jen playing his flute and Kira holding the shard trying to give it to jen, that dumb shard kept falling all the time and peices broke off it! but if you never saw the original you couldn't tell it broke.

I am looking forward to any new collectables exspecially one of jen!:excited: