Why do everyone think they're pro?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Actually, now they are even listing plush toy puppets as "professional" too.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There's an article on the Newsy Vents Blog today about this issue as it relates to ventriloquist figures.

One interesting suggestion he has when shopping for a puppet is to email a few experienced builders and ask them for their opinion of the "pro" puppet you are thinking about buying.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
I really think (like Kevin the Frog) that "professional" is used as a popular keyword and search term. That's also the reason you see Ebay puppets titled - Professional Muppet Sesame Street Fraggle Style Puppet - or similar. The seller is trying to drive traffic to their item, so the use terms that are more likely to be searched for on Ebay or elsewhere for that matter.

Here's something else to think about. If all advertising was truthful - a lot of billion dollar companies would be out of business - and I'd have a lot less stuff. :smile:

Phantom

Reaction score
Professional has become much overused like the word gentleman (which used to mean a land owning person). It wasn’t a description of manners but a statement of fact that this person owned land. Over time it has become a portrayal of politeness and removed from its original meaning. Many words are like that.

Without a board of standards and governance, the word "professional" has no meaning. Of course this means builders would have to be part of some organization and be judged by an objective set of criteria put forth by a governing body. New techinques and ideas would either have to be shared or patented and artistic intrepretation could not be a factor.

This could be why you can have a plumbers union but not an artist union. Plumbing must be a certain way to maintian public health standards. A painting by an impressionist can be very different from a painting by a cubist, yet both are paintings and who can say one is professional art but the other isn't.

BTW: You can express yourself in the way you plumb but it has to meet state/local ordinances.:smile:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Drive traffic

I too believe the term is simply a way to get people to look at your item. There are so many puppets out there. I would say email the seller for further information and pictures if you question the item. You can also email other buyers that have bought puppets from the individual. :attitude:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I suggest someone make two ordinary paper bag puppets and post them online. State one as "Genuine Professional Puppet" and the other as "Paper bag puppet" see which one gets the most hits. I dare somebody...actually triple dog dare ya's :smile:)

Phantom

Reaction score
Wow! That's a breach in Dare-Double Dare etiquette.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I go straight for the throat my friend! The jugular! Ya, I'm a dirty fighter, but...um...what was this thread about again? :smile:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Bag Puppet

TheCreatureWork said:
I suggest someone make two ordinary paper bag puppets and post them online. State one as "Genuine Professional Puppet" and the other as "Paper bag puppet" see which one gets the most hits. I dare somebody...actually triple dog dare ya's :smile:)
You know - I actually saw someone sell a Bag Puppet on Ebay before. Although, I cannot remember the title they used. :rolleyes:

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
it probably had something to do with fandango... i see the ads when i go to the movies...