Computer Help

furryredmonster

Reaction score
I asked another board about my problem to no avail, so I'll see if anyone here can help me out.

Recently, any program I have to connect to is not working. (Limewire, mIRC, Firefox... (IE is working, however, which I'm using now... along with instant messangers and a few other things...)

My main concern is getting firefox to work, because I need the tabs at the top and IE sucks. The message I get is "Firefox can not connect to the server at (the site)"

Does anyone know what I can do to make these programs work again or what may be causing this? I was suggested to download them again, so I downloaded firefox again (which took about two hours) and it still doesn't work.

I tried doing a virus scan, but all I have is Norton and it just froze up on me. I guess I'll try that later, too.

Thanks,
Kendra. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Firefox has some major issues is all I can tell you; as for why certain programs aren't working, the only thing I'm aware of that can cause that is either a virus or you have too much on your computer and need to clean it up a bit.

furryredmonster

Reaction score
It looks like I won't be able to find out if I have a virus... Norton freezes everytime I open it!

Yea, I do have a lot on my computer. I currently have over 600 downloads... not counting all the music I have on my computer. I think I might delete some things I don't really use...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
furryredmonster said:
Yea, I do have a lot on my computer. I currently have over 600 downloads... not counting all the music I have on my computer. I think I might delete some things I don't really use...
That's another thing to, as I've been told many times before, and as I've relayed to you guys before, one should never really download ANYTHING because you never know what kind of little worms and viruses lurk in them.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I wish I could suggest something and return the favor for last time, but I'm not really that handy with computer problems. Try deleting some stuff you don't need, or maybe try downloading another antivirus program? It probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

jediX

Reaction score
At first, I'd thought that you disabled those programs via Norton's services manager, but it sounds to me like there's some cpu-hogging applications running that are preventing Norton (which admittedly uses a lot of cpu) from working correctly. I don't think deleting files is going to do anything whatsoever unless you're down to less than a gig on your hard drive.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Deleting some things might help. but too much stuff on your computer just makes it slow, not really prevent anything from working. I've never used norton. I have McAfee. You could try going to:
Control Panel->Maintinence & Performence-> Clear up space on hard disk/rearange items on hard disk. I dont know if it will do anything, but thats what my mom does when the computer is slow. How effective it really is...I dont know

And like SNowthy said, downloading things can cause worms and viruses. I never download anything because you never know, even if its from an official site. If I do have to download, I scan for viruses afterwards.

jediX

Reaction score
Well, like I said, deleting files typically does nothing UNLESS the problem has to deal with a fragged hard disk that you're having trouble writing to. If your drive is more than 3 years old, I'd recommend just backing everything up, buying a new hard drive, and having it installed. I'd have to physically be there to check for sure. Drives don't seem to live past 3 years anymore, especially if you use your computer a lot.

furryredmonster

Reaction score
jediX said:
At first, I'd thought that you disabled those programs via Norton's services manager, but it sounds to me like there's some cpu-hogging applications running that are preventing Norton (which admittedly uses a lot of cpu) from working correctly. I don't think deleting files is going to do anything whatsoever unless you're down to less than a gig on your hard drive.
Nah, doubt that. I close out of all background tasks that are not needed via task panel upon starting up my computer. Norton still won't open. And yes, I have more then a gig on my hard drive.

Deleting some things might help. but too much stuff on your computer just makes it slow, not really prevent anything from working. I've never used norton. I have McAfee. You could try going to:
Control Panel->Maintinence & Performence-> Clear up space on hard disk/rearange items on hard disk. I dont know if it will do anything, but thats what my mom does when the computer is slow. How effective it really is...I dont know
I defrag my computer once a week.

teddyObear

Reaction score
If i were to guess, i'd say it has something to do with the devil. 9 times out of 10 my problems are related to the devil (also goes by the name Norton). One of the main evil things it does is slow your computer down (by over 60%) EVIL! But have you tried allowing all traffic on Norton and then trying to open firefox?
It is always a good idea to keep an eye on your hard disk space. Try also deleting (or un-installing) programs you no longer use. I try and always keep over 10GB of space available at all times (EXTREMELY hard most of the times but helpful when i have a sudden project i need to tackle or when random friends come over and want to load up my computer with all the "cool" CDs they've been listening to).