What SST toys did YOU have as a kid?

Hilleyb

Reaction score
I had tons of SS items, especially of the books. My favorite, though, was the Sesame Street Alphabet Roadway. In fact, I'd like to be playing with it right now.

Frogster

Reaction score
I don't know where they all are anymore... but I had the Applause plush of Big Bird, Snuffy, Oscar, Grover, Count, Cookie, Ernie, Bert, Alice, Elmo, Telly, and two Honkers. Plus I had a LOT of the figurines that I'd lost over the years, and the Sesame Street fold-out house.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Sesame toys I had when I was a kid...

*Several coloring books
-Monsterpiece Muesem of art (or something like that...it had Cookie as Mona Lisa on the cover)
-one about space age and prehistoric days (cover had Oscar and Big Bird on it)
-Another coloring book. I think it was "What's Inside?" Cant remember every detail about it, but the only page(s) I remember are with Oscar and Maria. She has a paper bag for Oscar and in the next page it's trash, which he dumps into his can.
-Another with...well...cant remember anything else as well, but I do remember it involving a playdate or something...Oscar and Ernie pretend to be "warrior/monster" (there was Oscar pretending to be a knight using his lid as a shield) and Grover and Oscar pretending to have a bullfight (Oscar was the bull, and Grover was the guy with the red "towel")

*Books:
-Cookie Monster Storybook
-Oscar's Book
-Ernie and Bert Book
-Big Bird and Little Bird Book
-Sesame Street Word Book
-Sesame Street Storyland
-A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch (book and tape set)
-When Oscar was a Little Grouch ^
-Bert and the Magic Lamp ^
-Big Bird's New Nest ^
-Big Bird's Red Book
-Count All the Way to Sesame Street
-Big Bird Brings Spring to Sesame Street
-The Day Snuffy Had the Sniffles
-One involving a rainy day on the street ? (had Big Bird on the cover, and I specifically remember The Count and Meryl Sheep involved in it)
-Don't Be Shy
-One involving Herry and a new baby sister.
-Monsters' picnic

^-part of the "Sesame Street Good-Night Stories"

*Plushes of Big Bird, Snuffy, Oscar and Cookie Monster

...and low and behold...some goodies from Japan:

*Watch w/ Cookie and Oscar (their heads ) plastic covers. Wristband consisted of the American flag and SESAME STREET written

*Lunchbox (Big Bird, Cookie, Oscar, Telly and Herry)

*Metal memo board (Cookie, Ernie, Bert and Elmo with markers. Oscar and Big Bird are there as well. It also came with two magnets with a purple and green Twiddlebug)

*Cookie memo board (Cookie as chef eating a gigantic cookie. The eraser (strapped onto a string) was (you guessed it) a cookie.

*Some coloring books with these on the covers...
-Muppets at school
-Everyone at a park, having a picnic, playing, etc.
-Everyone sitting on sidewalk having ice cream)

*Notebooks with these on the covers...
-All the characters from 1969 up until the "Around the Corner" era (with the exception of a few others, and it was illustrated by Joe Matheiu)
-Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Elmo, Cookie, Oscar, Betty Lou and Little Bird playing in a band together. Big Bird and LB were on drums, Cookie was on bass, Betty on tamborine, Bert on trumpet, Elmo on piano, Ernie on guitar and Oscar on harmonica
-"Who Am I?" (squares with Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Cookie and Elmo, and on the back Oscar)
-What Time is It? (Bert, Ernie and Cookie on cover)
-Now I Know My ABCs (Cookie, Big Bird and Oscar are all I remember)

*Diary/planner that revolved around a Cookie Store on the front and a flower shop on the back. On the front, Cookie is behind the counter of the store, and Ernie's there asking for one cookie, and Bert is standing there eating one. Elmo's holding a bag of them and Big Bird's there as well. On the back, Grover is seen in the flower shop, dropping something, Betty Lou is holding a balloon and Oscar is looking up (or in another direction...close to where BL is standing)

*Oscar stamp (small and light green)

*Magnetic pencils of Cookie (holding a white bag of cookies) and Bert (wearing a red sweatshirt)

*A magnetic pencil with Big Bird. Captions read "Take a Walk, Big Bird" (this was part of some illustration called "What are You Doing?" which has been on some merch, and it revolves around, well, time. And there was: Ernie having breakfast, Elmo with a basketball, Cookie having a snack, Grover sitting down reading, Bert with a backpack hurrying to somewhere, Little Bird carrying a lunchbag and Oscar snoozing (he's IN the trashcan may I add, not out of it. And it's surrounded by Zs)

*An eraser with Cookie playing with a toy car on one side, and Bert with...a block I think...on the back

*Blue backpack with Big Bird, Elmo, Ernie, Bert, Oscar and Cookie on the pouch, and "Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?" written in colorful letters (Oh, and should I add that Oscar and Bert are both mad here?)

*Digital Watch. Head had Ernie's head on it, and the writsband had Big Bird, Oscar and others)

*Wrapping papers...
-All I remember being on this one are Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Oscar and Cookie
-Squares with Elmo, Cookie, Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie and Bert
-Squares with letters of the title and several characters (Oscar, Count, etc.)
-Bag with Cookie, Elmo, Grover, Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert and a green Honker

*Cushion cover (blue) with Big Bird, Elmo, Cookie, Oscar, Betty Lou, Ernie, Bert on one side, and Big Bird, Cookie, Ernie and Bert in a "star" on the other (accompanied by a pattern of those characters in the background)

*NHK program guides/magazines. Issues were usually devoted to a certain character based on his/her birthday. I had June (Oscar) and July (Bert), and there's a profile of the characters, and 3 pages of drawings sent in by fans of them. Then there's the episode guide (in English and Japanese, and some vocabulary/English lessons for the Japanese in some pages. Then, after the EP guides, there's some articles...one I remember was a blurb on Savion Glover AND (in July) one focused on Jim Henson. Another page with a drawing of some characters in some scene, and Oscar and a AM woman want you to write in what They could be saying, and there's another page on that, but with a different illustration. Then there's some more drawings, accompanied by some letters. And there's the piano notes to the SS theme accompanied by photos leading up to an Editor's Notes pages.

*There was also some kids' magazine series with several famous franchises along with some local ones. SS was one of them. I had two issues that involved the characters (illustrated) looking at zoo animals (photos) I remember Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert...Cookie there.

*And each issue of that comes with another magazine, that had SS comics in every issue (or so I think. I know they did) Anyway, I remember these storylines:

-Big Bird and Prairie Dawn are at a park, and now I dont exactly remember what they're up to, but alll I remember is Big Bird trying to pull a nearby tree out (or pushing it) and WORMS land in Prairie's hair! And Big Bird's standing there, looking as if he's trying to be innocent, like "Umm...Sorry"

-Cookie is sleeping in bed, until his alarm clock goes off. He wakes up and well I think you all know what he does with it. He's in the kitchen with Betty Lou, who's making breakfast (pancakes) and I think he says something like "Good breakfast, huh?" and Betty's just standing there with a big question mark

...and I remember in one of those issues, there was a 2-page spread on some sort of exhibition...or something that involved a replica of the Sesame set. I remember one had Oscar in his can area, and there was Big Bird with some lady. And on the pages Big Bird, Cookie, Elmo, Ernie, Bert and Betty Lou were in circles with their names on the bottoms

...and some brochures and guides with some really neat photos. Dang, I wished I would have kept THOSE in a much safer place. *groan*

hollandj

Reaction score
SS Toys

I remember sitting in my living room and saw the big Eatons Delivery Truck pull up to the house. Yes, I said Eatons Delivery Truck.

Ding dong ... it was here my way cool toy that had finger puppets of Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch. You could press these oversized piano keys and they would pop up and down with music.

I do believe that was my one and only SS toy, it entertained me for hours :smile:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
These first two things I had,I had mentioned before in previous topics.Small hand puppet versions of Cookie Monster and Oscar.

I also had the same rubber plastic Bert puppet that FatBlue had,which incidently was made by Matell.(Did I spell it right?)Plus other puppets from that same toy company I had were Ernie,The Count,Grover and Big Bird.

The Circle Book I've also mentioned in a previous topic.

Some may also remember the Little Golden Book"Bert's Great Hall of Inventions".Throughout this book's story,:stick_out_tongue: drives :frown: up the wall,just as he so often did on TV.

Another thing I recall having,was a book full of SS muppet characters in cut-out finger puppet form.

A record album of Sesame Street's memorable songs sung by the characters themselves.But I forget what the name of the album was.Either"Sesame Street's Greatest Hits"or"Your Favourite Songs from Sesame Street".

I still have the SS Xmas album from the 1970s.

A plush toy car with a small horn that you could honk.It came with little plush toy figures of Ernie & Bert that fit into the car.
I recall my older cousin once pretending that Bert said to Ernie"Ernie you're a crazy driver"as Ernie drove like a maniac.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I had (and still have)

a stuffed Knickerbocker Grover that I got on my sixth birthday

The albums "Monsters" and "Sing the Hit Songs", along with a "Monsters" 45 LP of the song "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend".

The Ernie/Bert/Cookie Monster puppets (from the 70s)

The finger puppets (from the 70s)

Sesame Street bedsheets/pillow cases (jungle theme)

"Loud Mouth Singers"

Big Bird's Busy Book, Monster at the End of this Book, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil (scratch and sniff book), Invention of Paper book, Sesame Street Storybook

Paper Doll players

A wide assortment of the Whitman's coloring books

Quite a few Sesame Street Magazines from the mid-late seventies

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I remember you that that picture of you and Grover on your profile and RL. Why don't you show us that?

BTW, did you ever dream you woke up and it became a BD monster and went UUUUUUM BBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyway I did have the 1st SS LP and that was the only SS LP I had. Listening to MC radio it was probably too bad I didn't have more of those though I hated the allterate SS theme on that 1 and the version od Somebody Come and Play and J Jump Joyfull. I know that was the case with many of those LP's.

I thought as silly as it was the Gordon song about patting, rubbing and clapping was good, loved the trumpet playing in it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I had a huge Sesame Street record and book collection, plus a few puppets (hand and finger versions) of the main characters.

fozziefan

Reaction score
I had alot of SS stuff as a kid, but the coolest thing by far was my Big Bird Sesame Street Roadway. It came with a bunch of plastic track pieces and signs and one metal Big Bird car. The rest of the cars were sold separately. I had a bunch of the cars and my sibs and I used to play with it all the time. In fact, all three of us have such fond memories of playing with this set, that it's kind of become a family joke because they both claim that it belongs to them even though I have a picture of me opening it on Christmas as evidence of ownership.