Muppet Mockumentary Pilot Filmed

unclematt

Reaction score
I really dont know if another variety type show is what the Muppets need.

Marky

Reaction score
What I think the Muppets need, and this may just be a shot in the dark - is some sort of high-profile visual representation involing puppeteers that the general public can 'see'.

(sarcasm... drippity drip)!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Someone once brought up an idea I really liked... instead of a new variety show, a sitcom set in the Muppets' house in Muppets From Space. It would be, essentially, the Muppets just kinda doing... stuff. They could all have different careers going on, and, uh, yeah. I dunno.

Marky

Reaction score
I'm w/ the Jim Henson Hour.
Here's where Marky gets all furry...

Bring back The Muppet SHOW.

It's what people identify with the most, it'd be the easiest thing to pitch, and it would BY FAR generate the biggest buzz. The whole SHOW aspect of the show works so well because it's TIMELESS. The Jim Henson Hour wasn't as timeless, and Muppets Tonight wasn't either. Both of those shows, as good as they were for many reasons, are not remembered now by the general public. Why? They weren't the Muppet Show.

They messed up the formula. The variety show, the theatre, the guests - the show had such a great flow it seemed to write itself (which is ironic because of the geniusly frantic writing styles). The songs, the explosions, the canned laughter, the manic feel - THAT is what people want from the Muppets.

"Oh, but they HAVE to do something fresh and new!"

To which I say...
a) No, they don't.
b) Gee folks, maybe bringing something back after so long - faithfully - IS fresh and new!

Not guest spots on Martha Stewart.
Not some Direct-to-DVD 'movie'.
Not some trendy (see DATED) forgettable stab at conventional TV lampooning.
Not the "New Style, Humor for the New Millennium Clifforized" Muppet SHow.

People want the Muppet Show Back.
For the general Public, The Muppet Show = The Muppets.
Not us, the muppetcentral forum dwellers who own a pile of DVDs, nor the extreme collector who keeps stats on which puppet appeared here, when or where... the general public.

Why, apart from some good movies, has any attempt to bring them back fizzled? Because it wasn't THE MUPPET SHOW!

I remember reading, way back, when that German company owned them - there was a newspaper article say that they were going to do just that... bring back the Muppet Show as if the time between 1981 and (I think) 2001 was just a hiatus. BRILLIANT! I cheered!

Every single person I told (and I told EVERYONE I knew!) was excited about the thought of The Muppet Show coming back.

"Right On!"
"It's about time!"
"Good, cuz that last show with that dreadlocked thing sucked!"
"Awesome!"

So, call me opinionated - I am. And it's my opinion that the only thing they should bother doing at this point is to BRING BACK THE MUPPET SHOW!

:big_grin:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Thanks! & Exactly why change something when it's always been fine the way it is! The only thing new would be the guest stars. It obviously isn't hard to build a set just like the old one look @ the weezer video.

Marky

Reaction score
Thanks! & Exactly why change something when it's always been fine the way it is! The only thing new would be the guest stars. It obviously isn't hard to build a set just like the old one look @ the weezer video.
Ex-ACT-ly. Or... watch It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. The best part of that was the fact that they were IN THE MUPPET THEATRE.

We don't need anymore movies. We've got enough. Bring back

THE

MUPPET

SHOW!

PLEASE!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I respectfully agree - and disagree. I'd love to see a new television show in the vein of The Muppet Show. We all would. However, Jim always tried to do new things, not rehash what he'd done before. Muppets Tonight was a fantastic way of bringing the same format of The Muppet Show to audiences new and old alike.

emberfire

Reaction score
your right....but i think you could continue to experiment with puppetry though a show like the Muppet Show....

same format....same style of writing....different guests....while continueing to experiment with puppetry. :smile: