The 'What Song Are You Currently Listening To?' Thread

Kiki

Reaction score
Phew! Sorry y'all, I haven't been on MC fer a while due to my broken computer!

'Let's Live For Today'
-The Grass Roots.

Kiki

Reaction score
'Everyone I Meet Is From California'
-America.

Pip Pip Hooray

Reaction score
Okay, Pip...

My avvy is Chevy Chase. The pic comes from when he was a cast member on Saturday Night Live.

Winslow Leach isn't really a famous American guy, lol! He's the main character in Brian De Palma's rock comedy/horror/musical Phantom of the Paradise (1974). De Palma is my favorite filmmaker.
I'm sorry.. I'm probably going to dissapoint alot of people by saying I"ve never heard of Phantom of Paradise... although De Palma sounds familiar.:embarrassed:

I thought it looked like Chevy.. but wasn't sure... definitely a very young Chevy. Chevy is a big favourite in our family... of course National Lampoons movies were the main reason.. we always likened those movies to our own interstate trips across Australia (which we did at least twice a year) and Dad was very similiar to Chevy. (not sure if that's a compliment or not) :smile: Chevy's a legend... and as for Saturday Night Live... have only seen the ones with Jim Carey & Eddie Murphy but they were hilarious so can only imagine how good the ones with Chevy would be!

Speaking of Eddie... I absolutely love his early comic stuff (don't like any of his movies past the 80s really)

Have pretty much got his live show 'delirious' (much better than raw) lines ingrained in my head forever I love em that much... these are my all time faves...

"I got some icecream.... I got some icecream... and you can't have none... and you can't have none....cause your Mothers on the welfare and your Dads an alcoholic!....
Lick...
Syke!"

"and Gi Joe got stuck and Gi Joe got stuck!
And then a big brown shark came..."

having a giggle from just writing em!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I'm sorry.. I'm probably going to dissapoint alot of people by saying I"ve never heard of Phantom of Paradise... although De Palma sounds familiar.:embarrassed:

I thought it looked like Chevy.. but wasn't sure... definitely a very young Chevy. Chevy is a big favourite in our family... of course National Lampoons movies were the main reason.. we always likened those movies to our own interstate trips across Australia (which we did at least twice a year) and Dad was very similiar to Chevy. (not sure if that's a compliment or not) :smile: Chevy's a legend... and as for Saturday Night Live... have only seen the ones with Jim Carey & Eddie Murphy but they were hilarious so can only imagine how good the ones with Chevy would be!

Speaking of Eddie... I absolutely love his early comic stuff (don't like any of his movies past the 80s really)

Have pretty much got his live show 'delirious' (much better than raw) lines ingrained in my head forever I love em that much... these are my all time faves...

"I got some icecream.... I got some icecream... and you can't have none... and you can't have none....cause your Mothers on the welfare and your Dads an alcoholic!....
Lick...
Syke!"

"and Gi Joe got stuck and Gi Joe got stuck!
And then a big brown shark came..."

having a giggle from just writing em!
LOL, Delerious is some funny stuff! I agree, I much prefer Eddie's 80s output than the stuff he did in the 90s. I didn't even like The Nutty Professor remake.

Funny comparing your travels to the Griswold clan from Vacation!:big_grin:

Yeah, Chevy's my favorite SNL cast member, past or present, even though he only appeared on the show for one full season, and the first six episodes of the second. As much as I like most of his movies (Fletch, Spies Like Us), I don't think he was ever better than he was when he was on Saturday Night.

Last year, the entire first season of SNL was released on DVD. Did they have it in Australia? It's a great set, with ALL the music and sketches intact.

Jim Carrey was actually never a member of SNL. He auditioned for it, I believe in the mid-80s sometime, but believe it or not, he was turned down. He hosted the show once in the 90s. He WAS, however, a regular on the sketch-comedy series In Living Color.

Don't be embarrassed about not knowing Phantom of the Paradise. It's a little known cult film from early in De Palma's career. It's an updating of Phantom of the Opera, about a young composer named Winslow Leach (sounds familiar...) whose music is stolen by a rock impresario (played to perfection by friend of the Muppets Paul Williams). When Leach is disfigured in a freak accident, he becomes the Phantom, and begins haunting Williams's new rock palace, the Paradise. There he falls in love from afar with a young backup singer, and tries to mold her into a star. Williams also wrote the catchy music and lyrics to the film. Phantom is a freaky rock comedy/horror/drama/homage to classic horror films of the past.

Brian De Palma has been making films since the early 1960s. His last film was the excellent (but underrated) The Black Dahlia, based on James Ellroy's novel. Some of his more well-known films include Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, Carlito's Way and the first Mission: Impossible.

Oh, song, yes...

Right now I'm listening to the new They Might Be Giants album.

Pip Pip Hooray

Reaction score
Jim Carrey was actually never a member of SNL. He auditioned for it, I believe in the mid-80s sometime, but believe it or not, he was turned down. He hosted the show once in the 90s. He WAS, however, a regular on the sketch-comedy series In Living Color.

Oh yes... you're right! In Living Color (or colour as we spell it down under) can't believe I mixed em up.

Haven't seen the box set in Australia yet... seen a few ep's in video shops but not the set.. would be very cool... might look it up and see if I can purchase one somewhere - thanks

Pip Pip Hooray

Reaction score
Brian De Palma has been making films since the early 1960s. His last film was the excellent (but underrated) The Black Dahlia, based on James Ellroy's novel. Some of his more well-known films include Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, Carlito's Way and the first Mission: Impossible.

Seen Carrie, Scarface, Untouchables but that's it so far! Fantastic films!

I'm with you... when there's a great filmmaker out there they deserve to be revered and respected cause there's nothing like watching a good flick and being completely immersed in the storyline and impressed by the cinematography, effects and direction! To be a good film maker is quite a feat! Cause there's alot of very bad and very average films out there so the good ones stand out above all others!

Thanks for enlightening me... learn something new everyday! :smile: