Sub Way!

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is On the Subway weird? I mean, only knowable characters are Bert, Betty Lou, and Kermit... The other people freaked me out... I mean, why wasn't Grover, or maybe even Count on the subway? Much better than the poofy haired Lil Jerry.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Why is it such a big deal who wass in the skit or not?

Just enjoy it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I posted a thread about this subject a long time ago. I wonder what made the people choosing puppets decide on whether a line would be sung by an established character or an unknown anything muppet.

I think it would have been cool if Herbert Birdsfoot, Lefty, Guy Smiley, Little Bird, and Roosevelt Franklin were also in the song.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I always thought it was a good representation of who you might find riding the Subway. A mix of Anything Muppets, a few established characters (and one of the few times you'd see Bert without Ernie), and a sleepy-eyed cop!

And if you want a taste of what Sesame Street/ life in New York in the 70's was like, it doesn't get much better than this:smile:

The only thing that's changed in the last few decades is you buy a MetroCard instead of tokens. But the rest is still magically preserved. Step on a train, and you'll see your share of old ladies, Greenwich Village hippie types, sleepy-eyed cops, and if you look hard enough, you just MIGHT find Bert too (a long shot, but not impossible):frown:

paulyw

Reaction score
I remember the Subway! I thought that was a fun skit.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I always thought it was a good representation of who you might find riding the Subway. A mix of Anything Muppets, a few established characters (and one of the few times you'd see Bert without Ernie), and a sleepy-eyed cop!
I agree, riding on the subway is something anybody can do, and does, so it makes sense to use Anything Muppets.