Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theprawncracker

Reaction score
In the infamous words of Mr. Bill Cosby "There's always something new to teach, and someone new to teach it to."

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That's the very reason why this show just can't go away! That's what I think.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, it's like SNL....

I mean, they have new cast members and new writers, and it's not funny to me personally, but it is funny for other people. I don't get that Andy Sandburg's crap at all. That Cronicals of Narnia rap wasn't funny at all too me. That's what I think of the show now. Whos to say that kids don't like it. And since it's an experiment, a lot of it is experimental. If some segment doesn't work, it will be gone in a couple seasons (EW notwithstanding). Look at Monster Clubhouse, Hero Guy... both gone.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
With Tina Fay as head wrighterm she focused on character development! Now the writers are lacking in that department, and it now just a bunch of Internet type of stuff and crazy usless stuff like that! there just going in a different direction.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm neutral here,everyone.
On the one hand,a new generation can enjoy Sesame Street.
HOWEVER as a couple people have said,the main human characters are getting older.Take Bob,for example. I checked www.imdb.com & he's around 70.If he passes away while on Sesame Street,death will need to be explained to kids again like it was when Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) died. And it can't be said that Bob went to a farm like it was said when David (Northern Calloway) left SS and then died,right?
FINALLY (and PLEASE Elmo lovers....don't get mad or send me nasty PMs)
Elmo takes up a good 20 minutes of SS.Maybe he should get his own show?This way it'd be easier for other things on SS to be learned
*getting off my soapbox*

patybear

Reaction score
I agree with ernie81981.Maybe it should end at 40 years.But hopefully SS could be picked up in sindication-Nickelodean,or the like.I'd also like to see the Muppet Show brought back in sindication.I'd hate to see Jim Henson's legacy die completely.

As for Sesame Street not being very good any more:First of all-it was never really meant for adults.It was meant for pre-school childeren.Second-has it REALLY gotten that bad,or is it just that we're not kids anymore,and therefore our perceptions have changed?
patybear

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Is there any reason why it should end production if the show is still being watched by millions?

Think this whole thread is stupid and Kevin or Phill should lock it up.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There is room for all opinions.

Though we do tend to say the same things about the debate over and over. I'm not sure we really listen to each other all the time, myself included.

And yes the show is meant for children, but exposing them to simple "baby humor" does not help their development. They also need to be exposed to adult references, even if they're too young to fully understand. It's how they are prepared for the world. Otherwise they grow up thinking the only thing that matters is their own little world. They don't want to know about the adult world. Sesame Street used to do this, and a number of successful kids show still do. Because it works.

Honestly, if Sesame Street was losing its fanbase in the mid-90s, I don't think it was because their original method was outdated or flawed. The show suffered because it lost several major characters and because other kids shows were popping up that were fresh and different. Even when something is good, inevitably something new will take its place.

It happens all the time on Television. The Simpsons were wonderful, but you can't produce gold forever, eventually you run out of stories. IMHO, it became a little too popular, too mainstream. Similar shows like South Park and Family Guy arrived that were new and fresh, went places The Simpsons had never gone before and gained an audience.

No one here has to agree with me. But as I said, there is room for all opinions whether we like them or not. :smile:

Effralyo

Reaction score
Stopping the sun shine, the trees grow, and us breathe is impossible.
Stopping SS is the same.
Nuff said.
THey should share the foreign sketches and ask people abroad for more ideas. I'm sure there's lotta fans who would help...