The reruns from 2 years prior. What were the limitations on what ones they could use?

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about the reruns they used to show on Sesame Street during the first 29 years. Every new season which consisted of 130 shows, they would air about 20 old shows from exactly 2 seasons ago, and give them a new episode number and put a lot of newer "modern" inserts in them from that current season, while all the street scenes would stay the same. Now I know that sometimes there would be some major changes that would take place in just 2 years, so obviously there was some things that they just couldn't show. For example:

In Seasons 15 and 16, they couldn't show any reruns from Seasons 13 and 14, that had Mr. Hooper in them, because of the fact at the beggining of the 15th season, it was mentioned that Mr. Hooper had died.

In Seasons 17 and 18, they couldn't show any reruns from Seasons 15 and 16 that refered to Snuffy as Big Bird's imaginary friend, or show any close encounters with the SS humans. This is due to the fact that on the 17th Season premire all the humans met Snuffy for the first time. Now they could still show rerun episodes from those 2 years that had Snuffy and Big Bird in them, just as long as there was no refference to his imaginary status.

During the 21st Season, they would obviously be airing a handful of reruns from the 19th Season, this is the season Maria and Luis fell in love and got married at the very end, while in the current season Maria and Luis were already married with Baby Gabriella. They had to be real careful of what they could use with those 2 to make it seem like they were already married.

During the 22nd Season when they did reruns of the 20th Season, they couldn't show any episodes with David working at Hooper's Store, or any pregnant Maria episodes. They could show reruns from Season 20 with Gina by herself at Hooper's but none that had David or mentioned him due to the fact David was written out of the show since then and Mr. Handford was now the current store owner.

Seasons 27 and 28 aired reruns from the 25th and 26ths seasons, these episodes couldn't feature reruns with Gina working at Hooper's Store, since in the current episodes she had opened up her own daycare center and left Hooper's.

Exceptions to the rule: Early in Season 16 they aired the Big Bird goes to camp episodes from the first week of Season 14, 2 of these episodes feature Mr. Hooper in them, while Mr. Hooper was already known as having passed on by then. I guess these shows were so popular the first time they aired they felt like they had to air them again, despite the continuity error of Mr. Hooper.

During the 25th Season, they did about 20 or so Season 23 reruns, by this time the entire set had changed and so did the music, and the around the Corner set had been put up with a lot of new human and Muppet charachters. In some of these season 23 reruns, the music at the beggining and/or end was changed from the classic Harmonica music, to the new calypso theme. Also there was 3 rerun episodes that year that were Friday shows. They originally had Barkley and The Kids closing, but for some odd reason, Barkley and The Kids was replaced with a new closing with Big Bird and the Kids walking through New York City, and Central Park, with the old Harmonica music, and same old credit font that was used in Barkley and the kids. Also I remember in Season 28, there was a show that was reran from Season 26 were Luis looses his glasses. At one point he was trying to read something, but couldn't without his glasses and he said to the camera "Mabye I walk over to Hooper's Store and have Gina or Mr. Handford read it to me" This could be seen as a continuity error due to the fact that Gina currently ran her own daycare center, and Carlo had since taken her place at Hooper's.

Although the 2 Seasons ago reruns were supposed to seem as much like new shows from that current season as much as they could, there was often times they let something slip like in the examples above. Iv'e also been told that during the mid 70's when they did reruns, they would sometimes show episodes that featured Hal Miller as Gordon, while on the current show it was Roscoe Orman.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I remember during season 30 they just aired slimly goes to the moon. And there was plenty of error with that. Also they had to be careful what clips they showed after season 30.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Same story with season 32, it consisted of a few episodes from seasons 29 and 30.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody know when Sesame Street episodes started being rerun after the initial seasons were over? Were any episodes from the first season ever shown during the second season?

I recall there being a few times during season 30 that earlier episodes were shown. I believe that the first time this happened was during a pledge drive season. Then the episodes where Slimey went to the moon were shown in the last few weeks before season 31 began.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. This topic can get kind of confusing. Lol. Now they can't go back to season 33 or anything before because of the different format, but they did make an exception to that one a few years ago when they redid the hurricane episodes. Not only was the format different, but it was Inani Patterson as Miles, when actually he was played by Olmaide at the time.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Does anybody know when Sesame Street episodes started being rerun after the initial seasons were over? Were any episodes from the first season ever shown during the second season?

I recall there being a few times during season 30 that earlier episodes were shown. I believe that the first time this happened was during a pledge drive season. Then the episodes where Slimey went to the moon were shown in the last few weeks before season 31 began.
I have been told that they have been airing reruns from 2 seasons prior, as early as the mid 70's. So probably 1974 or 1975. Keep in mind that it would have been too inconsistent to start showing reruns in the 3rd season, because of the fact that Oscar was Orange, Big Bird's look and personality and voice were different, and the set had changed quite a bit as well.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
I don't think there were a whole lot of limitations on what episodes were reran. I remember seeing episodes reran with Olivia in them, even after she left the show. The same thing with Savion. They still aired reruns with him after he left the show in 1995. The funny thing is tho, they always used an advanced number to make it look as though the episodes were really from that current season. Even tho there were many contiuity errors. I guess the show wasn't as precise about things like that back then.