Who remembers these?

patybear

Reaction score
Ok,I'm going back quite a ways here.But lets see who remembers these.Do you remember the singing orange(song was from the opera Carmen)? Who remembers the 'Ladybugs picnic'? How about this...cartoon man playing a fiddle-'1,2,3,4-excuse me folks theres a knock at the door.1,2,3,4-four big lions just walked through my door.1,2,3,4-four big lions just just began to roar.Excuse me folks,I'm going to the store.I'll be gone for a week,maybe more.'

How about the dots(they were yellow)that came on screen and counted to 30? Do you remember when one of them got sick and was replaced by a mother dot and a smaller child sized dot? Remember how the child would sing
under his breath and the mother would hush him? The last part was;the dots
came out,counted to 30,and the chlid stayed quiet until the end when he asked his mother,'I did ok that time,huh?' She turns and kisses him.

I have a few more you might remember,but I have to get going now. See you later.
patybear

superboober

Reaction score
The first and last, no, but the Bud Luckey-narrated ones were among my favorites.

patybear

Reaction score
I love your user name,Superboober. Ok gang who remembers these? Sam the robot.The aliens;one was red,and the other was blue.(They were made from a couple of old chenille hats)they would look at something,then look in their book and say cow(or whatever) then they'd say,'Nope.nope,nope,nope.' How about Don Music-remember him? Or The Princess and the Pea skit with Cookie Monster as the Princess?
patybear

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember most of what you mentioned (in fact, many of them can be found on the Old School Vol. 1 DVD release). Were the dots actually counting to 30? There were a few skits with the fiddle player (who introduced himself as Donnie Budd in Two Toucan Two-Steps). He sang songs about the nubmers 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. And the singing orange was named Cecille. I recently found out that one of her segments was released on the video We All Sing Together, while another one was released on the video Imagine That.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I deffenetly remember the fiddle guy and the counting to four song!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Many of what you asked about has been released on DVD.

Four Lions at my Door was released on Learning About Numbers
I already mentioned that two Cecille sketches are available, on the videos We All Sing Together and Imagine That!
The 30 dots segments were included in Old School Vol. 1 (as part of episode 1)
The Ladybug Picnic was released on Sing Yourself Silly and Old School Vol. 1 (as a season 3 classic cut)
Old School Vol. 1 features two episodes with Sam the Robot, episodes 406 and 536 (the latter is juist a cameo appearance, while the other is his debut)
The aliens you mentioned are called Martians. One of their sketches, involving a telephone, was released on Old School Vol. 1, as a "season 3 classic cut". They have also appeared in other videos and DVDs, only with less significant appearances (they are in the 25th anniversary video, Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game, Elmopalooza, and What's the Name of That Song?)
One Don Music sketch, where he wrote Mary Had a Bicycle, was released in Sing Yourself Silly

As far as I know, the priuncess and the pea sketch with Cookie Monster that you asked about is not currently available on DVD.

patybear

Reaction score
To:Minormuppetz and Ilikemuppets:
I was about to go nuts thinking that I was the only one who remember the No.4 skit! Now heres what might be a tough one:Is there anywhere on the web where it can be seen for free? I've looked all over Youtube.I can't find it there(even though I've asked around).
patybear

ISNorden

Reaction score
Cecile vs. the Orange

Actually, the singing orange (who has no official name) is different from Cecile, whose theme song implies that she's a rubber ball. They may have the same shape, same color, same imagined sex, and same interest in music. However, the similarity ends there:
  • The nameless orange was a real fruit, whose "face" was made from real kitchen items and who performed on a kitchen counter as her "stage". Cecile was a claymation ball, whose "face" didn't appear to be made from real items; the setting where she performed seldom resembled any real place.
  • The nameless orange performed a nearly "straight" classical piece (unchanged in any way except the "l'amour" blooper) in only one film. Cecile has done at least five songs written specifically for her skits (all of them in modern, popular styles).* The orange also had a very different singing voice from Cecile's--younger, higher, and less husky.
  • The nameless orange appeared in the early 70s at latest; Cecile didn't appear until the early to mid-1980s.
Those differences alone are enough to convince me that Cecile and the Carmen-singing orange are two distinct characters.

* The topics of the five songs I recall: dental hygiene, imagination, opposites, self-image, and transportation. (Were there any others, Cecile fans?)

Nyperold

Reaction score
Ok,I'm going back quite a ways here.But lets see who remembers these.Do you remember the singing orange(song was from the opera Carmen)?
Yeah, I remember that one. It was the "Habanera" aria.

Who remembers the 'Ladybugs picnic'?
Very much so.

How about this...cartoon man playing a fiddle-'1,2,3,4-excuse me folks theres a knock at the door.1,2,3,4-four big lions just walked through my door.1,2,3,4-four big lions just just began to roar.Excuse me folks,I'm going to the store.I'll be gone for a week,maybe more.'
The fiddler! I kinda remember the one you did, as well as the one for 2.

The aliens;one was red,and the other was blue.(They were made from a couple of old chenille hats)they would look at something,then look in their book and say cow(or whatever) then they'd say,'Nope.nope,nope,nope.'
Oh, yeah, the aliens are classic, man. Sometimes, they'd say, "Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip!" Say, didn't they appear in the "Old MacDonald Had a Spaceship" Sesame Street News Flash? I know Ernie had a close encounter with them...

How about Don Music-remember him?
"Oh, I'll NEVER get it! Never, never!" (head hits piano once; begins sobbing)

How about that "Telephone Rock", huh? Not Don Music, but hey...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if any of the fiddler segments are available on You Tube. Since the four segment is available on the DVD Learning About Numbers (which also includes the two segment in that series), then it's not unlikely that somebody would upload it on You Tube (a lot of commercially-available Sesame Street clips are available there). Oddly enough, this recurrign series of sketches was one of the few recurring sketches not included on Old School Vol. 1.