Does anyone remember these early SST episodes?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, not very much content from the first season has been released commercially outside of Old School Vol. 1., at least not in North America (maybe the Shalom Sesame or Sesame English videos have first season material). The Alphabet Game, which is long out of print, features Wanda the Witch, which is from the first episode and of course is already on Old School. That sketch also features an animated skit with a scientist inventing a capital letter H, which looks like it is from the same season (like most first season cartoons, this one has mostly a plain white background, with only the neccessary characters and props drawn and painted), but I could be wrong about that.

Learning About Letters has quite a few animated segments that look like they are from the first season. Segments like Frances Fairy teaching the letter F, G-gorila, K-key, and The R Wizard, plus a film where each letter of the alphabet is shown somewhere in a city (a close-up of a license plate shows a 1970 expiration date, indicating that this film is either from or produced during the first season). Of course, I don't know of any first season episodes that feature these segments, so I could be wrong.

The original Bein' Green, which is also included in Old School Vol. 1, is featured in Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration. And The Street We Live On features Ten Song (Song of Ten).

And that's all known video/ DVD releases of first season material in the U.S.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Jyllian, "minor muppetz" made some great suggestions as to which of the DVDs have some of the best vintage stuff. Additionally, you can always do a search on Amazon to see what's available to buy, and cross reference with the complete list of videos on Muppet Wiki at the link below. Most of the pages include a list of which songs and sketches appear on each video/DVD.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Sesame_Street_Video

Jyllian

Reaction score
thanks !

thanks so much for that info..i will surely check it out.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Hey Jyll. I'm old enough to remember that the clip for "Spinning Wheel" does exist. I HAVE seen it way back in my tender years. Even if nobody else has any tangible proof of it, apart from Muppet Wiki stating what episodes it might have been featured in, I can shed some more light on the details.

I've concentrated long and hard to remember the details, and to the best of my recollection, here's what happens:

There were a bunch of hippie Muppets lined up on the brick wall. Bob is putting the finishing touches (eyes, hair, etc.) on one that looks a little like Little Jerry. The main puppet is being performed by Jim. He says in his soft voice "I think we're ready now" and Bob says "Okay, go to it!" and walks off.
The lights dim, and the song starts. Jim's character, who started out with his soft gentle voice, starts WAILING the lyrics "WHAT GOES UP, MUST COME DOWN..." and on the screen behind, they have some psychedelic effects that look like a spinning wheel. It's the closest Sesame Street ever came to showing what a night at the Fillmore East would've looked like.

Now remember, I haven't seen this clip (or anybody else) since the last time it was aired, way back in the early 70's before most other people on this board were even born. But it does exist, and I have the memory to prove it. Hope it helps.

And it would be great if they could ever get past all the legal and copyright hassles to put this song, Up Up and Away, and others from this period on a DVD. People would snap it up like THAT!(snap fingers):big_grin:

Xerus

Reaction score
I do so want to see that six silly sailors cartoon someday. I remember it when I was a kid. Here's what I remember a little. We see the familiar one wheeled box rolling across a tightrope while circus music played. And out of the box popped a seal with a clown hat. He had an Edd Wynn like voice and said he was going to tell us an S story. The story was mostly about six silly sailors at the park sliding down a slide and landing safely on a seesaw. Then the seal said he was going off for a sandwich. Then the box with a huge S appeared in the park and the seal goes, "Can you think of any more S words?" Then the seal and box rolled away leaving the S behind while bells were heard in the background.

dinoboy

Reaction score
some of the early Sesame Street I remember was pretty bizarre, although I was growing up in the 70's.

1. David is all dressed up like he's from India or Morocco, and he's playing the Oboe or some other wood wind instrument, probably the ones played to hypnotize snakes. Then you see all these crazy colors as David plays his tune and the number 12 forms and David says the number 12. All those wild and groovy colors and the music. This is not the animated clip of the guy from India counting to 20, as he reveals two other sets of hands to count to 20. Although that was a groovy clip as seen on the old school dvd.

2. Two little boy muppets named First and Last, sing a song on how first is first to get to someplace , and last gets there last, and he misses out on the fun. Like First gets to a scene and eats all the jellybeans, and Last gets there and misses out. But in the end, First comes to a basket and is first to open it up and giant lion comes out and roars and scares first, and last comes in and says that sometimes it's good to be last.

3. the early films featuring someone in a gorilla costume, whom always chases after a woman who told the gorilla "NO!" to say away from her, and in the end, the lady carries the gorilla way by his feet and drags him across the ground, as he cries out "NO!" in agony.

4. A guy who is careless and walks with a large newspaper in front of him, as he walks carelessly across the city and manages to avoid the dangers, after the sign is Zoomed in and a woman says. "Danger!" In the end, the man gets distracted by a group of sexy woman and just observes them as he walks into a rotating door and gets caught as the door smashes him. The woman narrator tells him that he should be more careful and watch out for danger.

5. the mad number painter were my favorites, as you can tell that he's an angry artist since his number paintings seem to get ruined or washed away. I loved the music played in the park episode where the number painter used condiments at a lady's picnic to paint the number 3. In the end the lady build a giant sandwich with the 3 painted onto it and just consumes that giant sandwich in fast motion right infront of the painters eyes.