Puppet Blood

thecan

Reaction score
Hi !

This is my first post, and i wonder...
. If somebody knows a good recipe on blood use for puppets.
. And how to make it squirt out of the puppet in a cool way.
. if somebody have tried it and can give som tips.

Why I´m asking is that i´m trying to do kind of a puppet-splatter film for a school-project

Every tips is needfull. :smile:

Thank you !

Sad Sad Monster

Reaction score
Im not sure if this will change for puppets, but a good fake blood can be made with core syurp and red food coloring.

As far as the blood effect, try this link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EDJ0QF4F0B3373R/

Thats for gun shots, if you are wanting more of a edge weapon effect, its much more simple.

Hope this helps.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i suggest you use a water based childrens finger paint , you should also treart your puppet with scotch guard, no guarentees though, if the blood doesnt rinse off the puppet you will be stuck, so you should expieriment fisrt and see what will work and what will come off the puppet quickly and easily

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
If you are shooting in Black and white I recommend chocolate syrup watered down some. If you want a a blood squirt get some plastic tubes from a hardware store and pass it through the puppet. Fill it half way with blood then attach a cameraman cleaning bulb at the end- a camera mans cleaning bulb is like a turkey baster bulb but narrows at the end- you can find these at a camera store or even at some dollar stores. Fill the bulb with blood- attach it to the tubing and duct tape. Then when your cameras start to roll squeeze the bulb. For the blood to really work make certain it is "watered" down. If you don't, the blood should ooze out. Hope this helps.

thecan

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you so much for all the tips and advises :wink:

But i still wonder if ther is any tips on:

. when you are building the puppet.
. to make a puppet, cut of another puppets head.
. and to make some gore stuff to let come out of the puppet, like
intestines and other disgusting things :excited:

Nick

Reaction score
oooo puppet gore!
I am now envisioning something from SAW I II or III Scary!!!

poor little mutilated puppet.... :frown:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
When you are building the puppet I would think about what you type of "mutilation" you need...for instance:
If you need a head to be ripped off or arm- I recommend using velcro to attach the appendage. Sometimes the damage to the puppet will be severe- I recommend using a puppet double- build one puppet to perform and another (replica) for the mutilation scenes. If you do make a double make the neck of the puppet and make it like a (for lack of a better term) a stump with bone and the meaty meats...place the tubing through the puppet up to the neck then when you "chop" off the puppets head, the head should fall off and the blood pumped through the tubing. For innards I would recommend using sausage, ground beef and mix it with the blood. Keep the shots short though or you'll be smelling the mixture....yuck! If you want to see an amazing puppet gore fest, check this out:
http://www.zombiewestern.com/ZombieWestern/TRAILER.html

PS- This posting sounds disturbing, but I assure you I'm really a well mannered individual :smile: