TMS Outline--Peter, Paul & Mary

UncleMatt'sBack

Reaction score
This is the first one in a long time..with Peter, Paul & Mary!

COLD OPENING:

Scooter: "Peter, Paul & Mary! 15 seconds to curtain!"

Peter: "Thanks, Scooter!"

Mary: "Uh, Scooter..."

Scooter: "Yes?"

Mary: "These guitars you gave us, they're a little unusual. I've never seen a guitar that's this...well...hostile!"

(cut back and we see three very angry Muppet guitars)

Scooter: "Oh, don't mind them. They just need to be tuned!"

Paul: *to the other two* "Lucky we brought ours from home!"

OPENING THEME

STATLER & WALDORF GAG:

Statler: "Well, looks like they're gonna get things started."

Waldorf: "Yep, let's get it over with."

GONZO 'O' TRUMPET GAG: Flames shoot out of the trumpet (and the sides of Gonzo's head)

INTRODUCTION: Kermit announces that tonight, the show is dedicated to folk music since Peter, Paul & Mary are the guest stars, but first, the opening number...

OPENING NUMBER: Floyd plays and sings the Bob Dylan classic "Blowin' In The Wind" with Beauregard backing him on harmonica. However, since Bo can't answer the rhetorical questions, he takes things too literally and nearly blows Floyd offstage with an industrial strength fan.

Waldorf: "I always thought that was a good number for this show."

Statler: "Yes, it just goes to prove they're full of hot air."

BACKSTAGE: Kermit congratulates Floyd on the number, but has some advice for Beauregard...

Kermit: "Uh, Bo, sometimes you take things too literally."

Bo: "No I don't! I don't even know where Literally is! How can I take things to Literally if I don't even know where it is?"

Then things get weirder when Gonzo approaches Kermit and announces he's going to be a folk singer...then proceeds to write 'folk songs' about his fellow Muppets that aren't exactly flattering, to the tune of old folk songs and Peter, Paul & Mary classics.

Gonzo: "Any requests?"

Miss Piggy: "I have one, but it hasn't been set to music."

SONG: Peter, Paul and Mary perform their classic song "Puff the Magic Dragon", with Zoot backing them up on sax, and a cameo from Delbert the LaChoy Dragon (with Robin as Little Jackie Paper).

Statler: "That's another song that's appropriate for this show!"

Waldorf: "Yes, we've said it's been DRAGGIN' for years!"

BACKSTAGE: Gonzo congratulates Peter, Paul, & Mary on their number, and asks them for songwriting tips. When he gets their advice, he does the exact opposite of what they tell him.

Kermit: "Sheesh. Songwriting advice from three of the greatest folk singers ever and he does the opposite."

Gonzo: "Yeah! Any requests?"

Kermit: "Yes. Sing far, far away."

Gonzo: "But I didn't write a song called...oh."

SKIT: "Veterinarian's Hospital"--Dr. Bob, Nurse Piggy, and Nurse Janice operate on one of the members of the jugband.

UK SPOT--A Whatnot sings "The Marvelous Toy"

DRESSING ROOM--Peter, Paul & Mary teach the Muppets the song "Rock My Soul", it turns into a jam session that spills out on stage

SKIT: "Fozzie's Monologue"--When Fozzie has some difficulty dealing with Statler and Waldorf, Gonzo saves the day and sings a hilarious folk song he wrote about them.

CLOSING NUMBER: Peter, Paul & Mary sing "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" with the Electric Mayhem

CLOSING THEME

Waldorf: "Y'know, we should get credit for writing some of those folk songs."

Statler: "No one would believe us. I think some folk songs are the only things older than we are!"

UncleMatt'sBack

Reaction score
Come on, this is my first one in years. You mean to tell me you have no input whatsoever? :smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Peter, Paul and Mary (not to mention the muppets!). This was nicely done, sir.
(I was sorry that you did not include my all-time PPM favorite, Leaving on a Jet Plane.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Was that PP&M? Always thought it was sung/recorded by John Denver.

Good job Matt... Though it could've used more dialogue to help pan out the sketches. Rully liked the bit with the Talking Houses.
And of course you scored some points with Puff the Magic Dragon.
Like Cath before me, would've also liked it if "I've Got A Hammer" had been included.

But like I said, nice job. Post more please.

UncleMatt'sBack

Reaction score
No talking houses in this one, but there were some hostile talking (growling, actually) guitars, kind of like the piano in the cold opening of the Liberace episode. :smile:

But I'm glad you liked it. I'm also working on an outline with Bea Arthur, but I've only got about two skits lined up.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Yes, overall I also thaught it was good. I loved the guitars! I also would have liked to see some of the skits played out though.
Good to see you writing again though, and keep up the good work!
:smile:

Jennifer

Reaction score
If you're gonna have Peter, Paul and Mary on the show, may I suggest they do one of their best, "Day Is Done"? That's beautiful and inspirational, and I can imagine it turning into a massive sing-along along the lines of "Turn The World Around."

I'd also thought that Scooter could easily do "Right Field".