Preorder the Animal Muppet Replica

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
I think the three of us are pretty much in agreement. I didn't realize it would be over $100 difference for intl folk and that makes a big difference. If a company added the link it would be in very bad taste IMHO as they are using MC as free advertising and are basically in competition with MC. If a customer or potential customer added the link they were just trying to be helpful to others here on MC....but it's still a fine line in my opinion. Yes, I realize MC isn't selling the replicas, but as we're all aware they get a commission and by linking to other stores on this site you are reducing the potential revenue. I'm just trying to support MC, nothing personal against anyone. All I know is if it was my website, I wouldn't be as cool as Phillip has been in the past.

Now, if MC could secure a lower price / better deal (maybe because the majority of us would "promise" to purchase through their affiliate link vs the competition who is probably getting a quantity discount) it would be a win win for all of us. Besides, this website is probably the biggest supporter of the Muppets, Muppet merchandise, and the MR replica muppets. They deserve to make a buck! Just my 2 cents.
What would be cool is if MR donated a % of any order placed thru any company to MC. This way we could order it from who we wanted yet still help MC. I feel a bit of a traitor not supporting the site but like I said when it comes to $170 diff...well thats nearly Gonzo paid for.

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Or, if MuppetCentral wanted to set up a store front, they could apply to become an authorized dealer for Master Replicas. The question is how much would Philip want to invest into the time, development and running of a store front, and would it be worth the potential income from selling Muppet merchandise.

I agree we should support the forum though, and if there are other ways to do that, please point me in that direction.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
With just how expensive (though beautiful) these replicas are, I see no problem with healty competition in this thread. MC is about Muppet fans and there are many ways to contribute. I do understand the SRP on these amazing artworks, but still...ouch (kinda). I guess only my Muppets will eat that month. But, what do I know? Just a frogboy. Did I mention that I adore my Kermit poser and believe this to be the best Muppet product ever! I'd give my left...oh, forgot I'm not a Muppet.

Davina

Reaction score
Competition is fine.. we bought Kermit at a discount last year (though not much of one..) and we still haven't decided who we'll be buying Animal through.. or when.. MR gets their money regardless of where they are bought from and there are still plenty of people here who will buy from the MC link, as not all of the alternatives offer delayed payment, and not everyone has the $ today for it...

and for some people, that $40-60-100+ savings might well be the difference between someone being able to afford these lovely things.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I'm suprised I am the only one "speaking up" about this, but maybe there are a few others who feel the same way. To put it into a little perspective, all of the major "hot deals" websites (fatwallet.com, anandtech.com, slickdeals.net) never allow users to mention the other hot deal websites. So, if you find a good deal on fatwallet, you can't go over to anandtech and say "hey they found this deal on fat wallet, it's good". Now these hot deals are found by users, linking to deals from online or brick and mortar stores, and still the websites will not allow a mention of their competition. They are worried about losing traffic, and yes the affiliate money that they make from people clicking on their links and buying product.

So, you can say "competition is fine"....and sure it helps us users find a better deal. But many websites out there do not allow any mention of the competition and with good reason I think. So you will use their site to purchase product, and so they can make money for all of their efforts. I doubt Phillip would be able to justify the time, expense, etc of starting his own store. Again, just my 2 cents. My main point was to try and support MC. I guess bottom line is you are glad I don't own this site! wha ha ha ....I'll keep quiet now.

doc hopper

Reaction score
i'm so glad i paid through the MC link and don't have to think about any of this.

Davina

Reaction score
but this isn't a commercial site. you seem to be forgetting that. fatwallet and those make money from every sale... MC doesn't.. by your standard, MC shouldn't even allow links to the MR site, as they don't get any benefit if we just go to the MR site on our own.. only if we go thru the one gateway. That isn't what MC is about, I would think the fact that Phil has never had a problem with people posting links to places we could by _any_ muppet things that they don't get a cut of, should prove that and make this a moot point all around.
And Phil didn't start this thread just to point out the gateway, he merged threads and restarted them as they were already getting very long and hard to wade through. Links to other places that Animal would be available through had already been posted in the original threads. This is also an international site and not everyone is able to purchase from a single dealer.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I thought I was done, but your argument and reasoning just baffles me...
This site has affiliate links to other sites to make money, I would call that a commercial site. A dictionary would call that a commercial site, ha. (Although they could, and should in my opinion, do more to try and make money for the time, effort and expense they have put into this great site)

Fatwallet operates in nearly the exact same manner, they do not make money on every click / purchase made as you suggested...they only make money with companies they have an affiliation with (affiliate links).

Previous links or not doesn't matter to me, it's the whole "what's right and what's not". I am not arguing that international people shouldn't order elsewhere and links shouldn't be provided for those who can't order in the states. And if the difference in cost is a LOT for some as alluded on here, buy it from the cheaper place. Like I said, it's a fine line and I'm not the owner so it's none of my business and not my call...just support MC when you can I guess. OK, again I'll be quiet.

lithiumbrain

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Animals body will look like in person, since the original was all reticulated foam. If they use a fleece (from the proto type pics, that seems to be what it is) hopefully he doesn't look too fuzzy.