Ask Ken at Palisades

gaffercat

Reaction score
Hmm all this tak about Lips. makes me think of when Ken said his lips were sealed on a 5th figure for series 4 or 5 i think it was. I do remember him mentioning something about adding another figure to the waves since there wont be a playset for each wave. Could it mean that Lips is already made? And that Ken is keeping a big secret from us?

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Originally posted by ZootandDingo
Ken, I'm not sure how much you may know about marketing feasibility and such, but speaking totally hypothetically, could the line survive as just a Diamond Distribution product, or is it imperative to need a "name" store like an EB, a Suncoast, a TRU, or a (super secret mystery retailer)? I mean, what would be the worst case scenario for the line to continue?
Hmm...interesting question. I guess the absolute worst case scenario would be the discontinution of the line after Series 6. And I mean no more Muppets at all. That's worse case.

However, let's say that, hypothetically, the line WAS canceled after Series 6. Hypothetically here, remember that. There would probably be an effort by the company to figure out a way to release some of the key characters that were not released in some sort of direct to consumer fashion. Depending on Diamond would not be an option, as their numbers on the line tend not to be huge.

Example: Naked Sam. It is sculpted, and so it would then be a matter of figuring out how much it would cost to tool versus how many we would have to sell direct to make any money off of the release and then deciding if it was worth it to do so. Then if it was worth it the figure would be released in a single pack much like any other exclusive.

But let's not let it come to that...tell your friends, tell your family, tell your co-workers to go out there and get them some Muppets. Keep the line selling and the line continues. Simple economics.

But like I said, hypothetically...none of what I said has even been discussed at the office...we are still proceeding as per usual.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
Hmm...interesting question. I guess the absolute worst case scenario would be the discontinution of the line after Series 6. And I mean no more Muppets at all.
I've seen you use Series 6 as a point where the line might stop a few times now - what sort of timeframe is there for you guys to decide if things will continue after 6 ? You seem to have planned and sculpted 5 & 6 way in advance, so would you wait right up to the line to do sculpts for 7 or will you have to make a decision over the next few months ?

Also it was mentioned a few times in another thread that i'm not sure you got to - Any chance of using the leaflet thing thats being packed in with the figures soon to promote some kind of mail-in offer ? I thought it'd be cool (and cheapish) to do some kind of cardboard unassembled Arches or Theatre playset (like Hasbro originally did for a Transformers base). It'd be a way for people to display their figures for now and also you could send them info on the collectors club when you send it. If you look at Warrick's pictures of the McDonalds Happy Meal arches store display with the Palisades figures slotted in it looks really cool.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
I've seen you use Series 6 as a point where the line might stop a few times now - what sort of timeframe is there for you guys to decide if things will continue after 6 ? You seem to have planned and sculpted 5 & 6 way in advance, so would you wait right up to the line to do sculpts for 7 or will you have to make a decision over the next few months ?

I only use Series 6 since that is all that has been officially announced. But we will know sometime in the next few months about whether 7 will happen as scheduled as it would have to be started for a January-February 2004 ship.

Also it was mentioned a few times in another thread that i'm not sure you got to - Any chance of using the leaflet thing thats being packed in with the figures soon to promote some kind of mail-in offer ?

It's not a bad idea...but probably not for a while. Those inserts are more expensive than you might think, and there are no plans to do another one until later, much later, in the year. If we were to do a mail-in, we might just do the info right on the package or as a black and white insert.

C'irdan

Reaction score
Pigs in Space and lips

Ken, here's my thoughts...

I LOVE the pigs in space playset...it's just so awesome! It's incredible how accurate it is. It's so good I just have to help you make it perfect!!!

1. Is there going to be a regular space backdrop? just stars?
2. Is there going to be an end of the universe backdrop?
3. Suggestion-it would be really cool to put a little bit of info on the back of each card that was originally from a real pigs in space sketch...you know-like a summary of what happened!
4. Could you please please please make piggy's eyes slant a little? Her eyelids form a straight line right now...and I've noticed that piggy's eyelids usually form a "/\" shape just a little. She looks a bit dazed and if you could just tilt them a little it would be absolutely perfect!!!!

And if you could sculpt Lips and do an updated zoot's body (as long as it wasn't shockingly bad looking on him I mean) then I would LOVE to have it! Make as many characters as you can! I'm devoted to buying almost all of them!

*goes off to buy figures*

See how devoted I am Ken? And you wouldn't want to dissapoint your loving CUSTOMER!!!??? :wink:

just kidding! :zany:

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Re: Pigs in Space and lips

Originally posted by C'irdan
1. Is there going to be a regular space backdrop? just stars?
2. Is there going to be an end of the universe backdrop?
3. Suggestion-it would be really cool to put a little bit of info on the back of each card that was originally from a real pigs in space sketch...you know-like a summary of what happened!
4. Could you please please please make piggy's eyes slant a little? Her eyelids form a straight line right now...and I've noticed that piggy's eyelids usually form a "/\" shape just a little. She looks a bit dazed and if you could just tilt them a little it would be absolutely perfect!!!!
5. See how devoted I am Ken? And you wouldn't want to dissapoint your loving CUSTOMER!!!??? :wink:
1. No.
2. No. (All backdrops are currently done and approved. No time to do any more.)
3. It's a good suggestion, but some of these aren't episode specific. Also, that means i would have to have 2-sided printing which is more expensive. So probably gonna leave it as planned.
4. No I can't. Henson likes the sculpt like it is, and it is already approved and being tooled so I cannot make any additional changes to it.
5. Yeah I do see...sorry to have to give you all negative responses here. Hopefully you won't be too disappointed when the set comes out.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
When is a door not a door? What it's ajar!

Now THAT'S a joke!
YesSIR! FUNN-EE!!!

A jar drives into a full service gas station and the attendant says, "Can I help you?" and the Jar says, "Sure, fill me up!"

WOCKA WOCKA!!
(Just made that one up!)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
C'irdan forgot to ask one thing to be changed. Can you change that avatar? It scares me! :eek:

(Just kiddin).

camax

Reaction score
Ken, I think it is really exciting that you interact with the community here. Almost like instant market research for you! I know it is fantastic for us to be able to read all the responses and news you bring to the forum.

I'm hoping the figures are starting to pick up some steam. I consider myself a large Muppet fan, and I was able to talk myself out of the figures until Series 3 Lew Zealand, but now that I've finally given in, you can expect many more purchases from me (including a trip to the mall today!) I'm thinking there must be some others in the same boat as me, that held off for a bit observing, or hadn't noticed the line at first, that are starting to buy into the line now. I was disappointed to read here that Toys 'R Us stopped carrying the line - was that just a financial decision on their part? Not moving enough units or something? Whenever I went to the store and looked at the figures, there were usually a few Piggys, but no one else, so I assumed they were selling pretty good. At least when I walk in a Suncoast store, there are plenty of figures and ALL of them too.

Thanks for all the work you are doing. The line looks fantastic! I can barely even think of a figure request, because you already have about everyone I love announced. A Seymour to go with Pepe could be cool, and a Bobo, but really all my absolute favorites are out or upcoming, so will be posing on a shelf near me soon! Here's hoping the new PVC line adds even more depth to the line. I want series 7 and beyond, but I suppose you do eventually run out of Muppets, so the PVCs give an additional way to keep the line alive!