Rizzo one of the top movie rats on MSNBC

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There is also a difference between The Brady Bunch and The Muppet Show. The Brady Bunch didn't have as many characters. The Brady Bunch only had nine major characters, who were in nearly every epsiode (Mike Brady wasn't in the last episode, and there was at least one episode that didn't have Bobby). There was also Tiger, who appeared in the first two seasons and then mysteriously disapeared, and Sam, who was mentioned more than he was seen (I think I've read somewhere that he appeared in 7-9 episodes). So adding Oliver just gave the show an extra character. It would have been great if the show had more regulars, even if they didn't have to appear in every episode. With the exception of Alice, all of the characters would have had to appear in every episode. If any of them left the series, they would either need to be replaced with new actors, or killed off (and Mike Brady was almost killed off, but the show was cancled before he could die). Since Greg Brady graduated from high school in the last epsidoe, he could have gone to college if the actor had decided to leave the show. But with these major characters, it would have probably been too expensive to have other regulars, and since they were a family living together any disapearance would have needed to be explained.

But with the Muppets, there could be as many characters as possible with only a handful of performers. And there were scores of recurring characters on The Muppet Show. Rizzo was introduced late in the fourth season and after his introduction there was rarely an episode without him (unless Nickelodeon cut out scenes with him, he wasn't in the episodes with Marty Feldman and Melissa Manchester). Rizzo was newer,a dn there weren't many other new additions to the cast in the last two seasons, but there were Foo-Foo, Gafer, Lips, and Pops, and out of those characters, only Pops was major (and that was only becasue he appeared at the beginning of every episode in the last season, and it was rare for him to appear elsewhere in each episode). But there were so many characters that Rizzo's introduction wasn't as noticable as Oliver's.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Minor Muppetz, I agree with you. Plus, the intentions/circumstances behind their introductions were entirely different.

Anytimepally, thanks for the explanation of Cousin Oliver. Rizzo isn't like that at all! Rizzo was successful, first of all. :wink:

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I don't think Rizzo was like that at all, and I think the guy/girl who wrote the article was probably pulling Cousin Oliver out of the pop culture lexicon just for the sake of doing so.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Minor Muppetz, I agree with you. Plus, the intentions/circumstances behind their introductions were entirely different.
And with the exception of Foo-Foo, none of the characters I mentioned had any proper introductions of any kind.

MWoO

Reaction score
Wouldn't a star turn be considered the role that makes people first take notice? I mean, yeah, MTM was his first major role in a movie, but MCC was when he really took off.
Well MTM is the movie I think of when I think Rizzo. That is the movie that made me take notice of the character. He was good in MCC, but I don't think of MCC when I think of what defines the character.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
During the last season of The Muppet Show, I wonder how many people even noticed Rizzo as a specific rat character, as opposed to just a generic rat. There were also many generic chickens and penguins. I wonder how many people noticed that the same rat appeared in many scenes that season (especially in the goodnights).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just looked at the list, and I'm surprised that Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninj Turtles wasn't included. But I'm glad that Rizzo was.

GonzoRizo

Reaction score
YAY for Rizzo being on the list but how dare they compare him to that little annoying kid on the Brady Bunch, Rizzo is awesome/funny.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not bad for a rat...I wonder if he got paid for having his name on the list? Any rat worth his salt (milkshake? mfs?) would have gotten top-listing, or more money.