The Penguin Thread

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
:zany:

I put this here because, no matter what, you know we Muppet fans expect a few things from The Muppets' world:

Humor
Rats
Pigs
Chickens

But most importantly: PENGUINS!

Yes, those little tux-wearing squawkers which have brought much joy to us over the years deserved their own appreciation thread and I've put it under "worlds" because--well, what kind of world would it be without 'em?

One thing I wanted to correlate is the fact that Jim Henson has always been ahead of his time. With both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, which were not appreciated at their release dates, have grown into cult-classic films! Forms of puppetry, and real-time digital puppetry, Jim was working diligently to advance everything.

So, it is no surprise that he was ahead of his time by featuring penguins in the background of his shows/movies.

Fast-forward: March of the Penguins. People will forget about Jim's Muppet Penguins because of "March of." Still, "March" brought about other films like Happy Feet and Surf's Up. Watch commercials and you'll see more penguin stuff than before. There is a PLETHORA of penguin-goodness out there.

And it all began in the 1970's with Jim's work--20-30 years ahead of the time when penguinocity would become the in-thing in Hollywood.

What do you reckon? Thoughts?

I think the favorite thing of penguins for me is when they bounce in the air, or explode...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I LOVE penguins. They are one of my favorite animals. I think Jim was ahead of the curve for sure by adding penguins to our favorite Muppet films. I especially appreciate the penguins in TMTM.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Penguins are the best. They're some of my favorite parts of Muppet productions. And one has even become a sort of staple mascot here at MC. Good ol' Zany the cue-card carrying penguin! Gotta love 'im, and all penguins everywhere.

And I do agree that Jim started the whole penguin thing, who knew they'd get this big?

ZootyCutie

Reaction score
Penguins are great. And I quote:

What my father figured out was if you can't get out, you just either blow something up, or you eat something, or you just throw penguins in the air.
And it's true. What Brian Henson said is completely true.

Kiki

Reaction score
Too right, ZC! They're one of my fave animals and I think they are very under-rated. Not here of coarse. Oh gosh no.

Yay fer penguins! :zany: :zany: :zany:

wombat woman

Reaction score
Penguins also make frequent appearances in Sandra Boynton's books (notable the new book Your Personal Penguin). Actually, Boynton is an unsung supporter of pigs and sheep and penguins and chickens. Not a lot of frogs, sadly, but she does do hippos.

Were there ever any hippos in the Muppets? I can't think of a single one!

BEAR

Reaction score
I LOVED Zany the Cue-Card Penguin! I miss that little rascal!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
He hasn't really gone anywhere Bry... I think he's just on vacation in the Poconos. But I'm not sure. :stick_out_tongue: :wink: