Wocka-Wocka... He's at it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Well, e-Bay must keep shutting him down because he keeps having to open new accounts.

As far as Disney is concerned, there are two things that may be going on. 1) They aren't bothering with him because he seems to sell so few of these that it's not worth the time or trouble to go after him, or 2) They're just building up a strong enough case before they nail him.

We'll just have to wait and see... that is, if we ever know the outcome.

:stick_out_tongue:

Telly

Reaction score
Is there a difference between selling these replicas and somebody selling say, a Palisades Gonzo figure with a custom outfit? I didn't know how to word it. Does that make sense?

DPuppets

Reaction score
I have been reading this for a while. I have not see this brought up. But, some years ago Sears had a commical that used a knock off Miss Piggy and Kermit. They did not call them by their name from what I remember. I know David Pannibecker made them. I might be wrong but I thought they had used a different name. Been so long ago but, something to reserach and see about.

Bear Man

Reaction score
I have been reading this for a while. I have not see this brought up. But, some years ago Sears had a commical that used a knock off Miss Piggy and Kermit. They did not call them by their name from what I remember. I know David Pannibecker made them. I might be wrong but I thought they had used a different name. Been so long ago but, something to reserach and see about.
I'm not sure what context they were used in, but there are allowances within copyright law for parody. That's why were're allowed to see Kermit and Gonzo dueling with lightsabres, etc.

DPuppets

Reaction score
I agree but it was not a muppet sponsor thing from what I remember. If there is an allowances for parody use. All this discussion on the rights and wrongs to making the characters. How wrong is it to build? Then how did they use it for this commerical? Just curious.

spcglider

Reaction score
I agree but it was not a muppet sponsor thing from what I remember. If there is an allowances for parody use. All this discussion on the rights and wrongs to making the characters. How wrong is it to build? Then how did they use it for this commerical? Just curious.
There is an element of interpretation of intent.

When you make a replica of a Muppet, you are not creating a "parody".

Webbsters defines PARODY:

1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation

So... say I created a frog puppet that looked similar to Kermit, but I dressed him in a bum's clothes, gave him beard stubble, and called him "Hermit the Fraud". THAT would be parody, especially under definition 2. And the law allows parody... its part of our freedom of expression guaranteed by the Constitutional Rights we enjoy (for now).

If I made an exact likeness of Kermit, or a near exact likeness, that would be a replica. Without being a holder of rights to the character, I am technically breaking the law by infringing on the intellectual property rights of The Walt Disney Company or Muppet Holding Company in specific. (Please read previous posts concerning the gracious attitudes of the Muppet folks in the situation of fans making replicas of Muppet characters for themselves and themselves only. Still illegal, but generally overlooked by the rights holders as healthy "fan activities".)

As to the commercial with the likenesses of Kermit and Piggy, I've worked in advertising for 17 years. There isn't a single ad these days that makes it on the air without being "vetted" by an army of lawyers. Just to make sure they aren't going to get in trouble or have to pay out any money they don't have to.
So, if they were likenesses, they must have been far enough off of the originals to qualify (to the eyes of half a dozen lawyers) as parody likenesses or "caricatures" of the Muppets. If David Pannabecker made them, I can bet that he has tales of terror to relate about how they were art directed by everybody and their legal counsel.

And in the unlikely event that somebody was able to slip through an ad that did NOT qualify as parody, and they truly DID infringe on the Henson Company's rights, you can bet that a lawsuit ensued or at least a settlement. Many of these things happen completely out of sight of the public... a company like Sears usually wants it kept as quiet as possible so as not to affect their sales.

My company recently came to an "arrangement" with a software publisher we had worked with. We brought a case against them for just this sort of thing. They used a name we owned to title one of their games. They knew it. We proved it. A monetary arrangement was reached via legal discourse. However, that's all I can say about it since the details fo the case were sealed as part of the arrangement. Please note that I cannot use a particular word, beginning with the root "settle" and ending in the suffix "ment" when describing the "arrangement". That, too, was a stipulation.

Hope that answers the question? :smile:

-G

propologist

Reaction score
Hi Gordon,

I agree with you on all points!

This guy is now on the RPF as "TheatreOfPuppets" and is try to sell there.

P.S. Give me acall some time.

Mike

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
This guy is amazing! e-Bay no sooner shut him down again and he's already back on with a new ID. He must be on AOL or some other service with a constantly changing IP Address so they can't track him or just ban him forever.

:stick_out_tongue:

P.S. Hey Mike!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
yes he/she is indeed persistant, apparentley cathcing a hint is not his or her strong suit

Telly

Reaction score
I'm more partial to Gonzo's sweater vest, long-sleeve white shirt, and khaki pants than the purple tux Master Replicas is putting him in. If I really wanted to, could I have that person make me a legal custom tailored outfit for my Gonzo?

Status
Not open for further replies.