Advise from former Snuffy

Michael Earl

Reaction score
Thanks for your post, JoeyMuppet. I think it's great that you have passion for puppetry. That's how I was when I was growing up in the small town of Livermore California. During high school on the weekends, I became an apprentice at Children's Fairyland in Oakland where I met Mike Oznowicz, who I never knew was Frank Oz's dad. He and others encouraged me to join the local puppetry guild which I did, so Mike was familiar with me andmy work, as well my passion for puppetry. I performed puppet shows at dozens of parties, parks, etc, getting better and better. When I was 17 I attended a National P of A Festival where I took a workshop with Kermit Love. One day at lunch Mike Oznowicz sat down next to me and asked what my plans were now that I had graduated from high school. I told him Kermit Love may have some puppet building work for me in NY. And I also had interest working for Bob Baker or Tony Urbano in LA. Unbeknownst to me, Mike talked to Jim and Frank about me and Jim hired me sight-unseen on the recommendations of Kermit and Mike when I was 19. My first job for the Muppets was The Muppet Movie, where Frank Oz was very nice to me, often insisting I puppeteer his characters when he needed to perform one of his other characters in the same scene. I was in awe of both Jim and Frank and very nervous. I found out at the wrap party from the shop forman that Kermit Love threatened not to send Big Bird for the finale unless I performed him, which caused a big politcal battle behind the scenes. I was shocked to learn this. I guess Kermit thought I was the right guy for the job, and also he wanted me to take over the role of Snuffy because I was tall (6'4") and would cause Snuffy to stand tall and not droop. I had to prove myself daily, nervously, but I always had a lot of support from Richard Hunt, Frank, Dave Goelz, Jim Henson and especially Jerry Nelson, who would all give me tips as we went along. I hope that helps you some. As for learning the craft these days, I started teaching the skill many years ago when I realized no one else was. I met with Jim about it and he encourage me to do it! So I developed a series of exercises that have proven successful for many of today's top hollywood puppeteers. I'm starting to teach again and in fact doing a "Teaching Tour" to London in 2008. You can get more info at: www.teachingtour.com. Thanks again for writing...and I believe in you, JoeyMuppet!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That info about Kermit Love threatening not to send Big Bird for the finale is interesting. I wonder if any similar threats were made for Big Bird's bigger cameo in the movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
To Michael Earl:

When you say that Jim Henson hired you sight-unseen, do you mean that he hired you without even meeting you (and without an interview or audition), or do you mean that literally? Because I don't think it should really matter what a puppeteer looks like, since the audience usually doesn't even see the puppeteers during performances.

Michael Earl

Reaction score
Sight-Unseen

To answer your question, I was recommended to Jim Henson by Frank Oz's dad and by Kermit Love at the same time. Because of this, Jim hired me without an audition, interview or even meeting me before flying me out from New York to LA, first class, then sitting down next to me at a catered lunch, introducing himself and saying he'd never hired anyone sight-unseen before.