Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 2

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Days of VHS

I'm writing this post due to many of the online reviews (not MC really, but amazon, blogs etc). Many reviewers are cutting a couple stars off this DVD rating merely due to the sparse bonus features.

I remember the days of VHS home video box sets - when it was every fan's dream just to have a complete, unedited season set. That used to be more than enough. I mean, extras, bonus features etc are fantastic and met with much enthusiasm, but I feel the average modern DVD consumer to be jaded and presumptuous. We (me included) expect the world.

As long as the seasons have no edits I will give them a perfect score. And season two has been easy to find under $30. My wallet gives it an extra star for that! :zany:

Telly

Reaction score
They're called BONUS features. People need to realize that's what they are. They're a BONUS on the DVD! One's not buying the season FOR the bonus feature. They're buying it for the season. I'd be happy if The Muppet Show didn't have ANY bonus features as long as I got an uncut season!

chequepoint

Reaction score
As the seasons progress, I'm sure the music publishers are going to be driving the nails into Disney a bit harder. Thus, the cost for the set goes up. You can already see the penny pinching moves disney made in this set.

1) The packaging itself is cut back from season one, with no additional flap/pocket for booklet. In fact there was no booklet.

2) They opted to not swipe a coat of white ink on the disk before printing the disks. This move saved them about .04 per set, but greatly reduces the clarity of the disk images. In my opinion, things must have been tight on the project to elect to make this comprimise.

3) They only produced 2 menus, for 4 disks. Think about it.. They had the cameras set up, puppets were out, it would have been minimal cost to develop an additional 6 minutes of footage. They didn't do it.

4) They pressed the packaging in Mexico. Believe it or not, CD/DVD plants are one of the few manufacturing jobs that are still doing well in America. The majority of the Music / Video / and Software industry uses American plants for american releases. Obviously not Disney.

I'm willing to bet future releases will be reigned in even tighter. Essentially, it is the view that internal elements of the packaging are wasted effort, because by the time someone sees it, you already have their money.

By season 5 we could very easily see this condensed into 4 slimline plastic boxes ala Family Guy. No special features, static menus, with black print on silver disks. Anything we get above that, we should be thankful for.

In fact, we're lucky its coming on 4 disks, I bet with some compression they could degrade the quality and get it onto 3 disks.

My point is, despite all of that, I just want the uncut episodes, in good quality. Anything else is just icing. It could be a lot worse than it is now.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As the seasons progress...You can already see the penny pinching moves disney made in this set.

By season 5 we could very easily see this condensed into 4 slimline plastic boxes ala Family Guy. No special features, static menus, with black print on silver disks. Anything we get above that, we should be thankful for.

My point is, despite all of that, I just want the uncut episodes, in good quality. Anything else is just icing. It could be a lot worse than it is now.
I was also surprised at the DVD silkscreen's lack of white. I didn't mind it, but it was an obvious price-cutting measure.

As for static menus, though, that doesn't appear to fall in line with any Disney release these days. Neither does the "slim-pack" look. There is a definite formula and quality to how they release disks. They'd sooner edit a piece than scrimp (any more than they have) with packaging. I agree, things could be worse, but Disney is hands-down the home video packaging king. I think the design decisions (lack of booklet, simpler fold-out style) are more elegant and somewhat of an improvement on Season One.

They are figuring out where best to spend a penny. And they have proven how long they'll wait for content. I am actually surprised that they took that approach - to wait so long, so I could be wrong about much of this. I too was taken back a little by the repitition in the menus.

Just my two cents. I buy a good amount of Disney DVDs. :smile:

chequepoint

Reaction score
I hope they don't ever skimp more. I'm just saying, less complaining, it could be worse. =) From what I can guess, their break even point on these is pretty high, we just need to hope they stay profitable so that we get the balance of the seasons.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
3) They only produced 2 menus, for 4 disks. Think about it.. They had the cameras set up, puppets were out, it would have been minimal cost to develop an additional 6 minutes of footage. They didn't do it. In fact, we're lucky its coming on 4 disks, I bet with some compression they could degrade the quality and get it onto 3 disks.
That's more than the first season, which only had Statler and Waldorf on all four discs.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I really liked this set very much the close up picture of miss piggy was great and i was able to get one of the special Addition to the season 2 with the fur on the boxes . It made it seem like the real miss piggy puppet really cute the picture's on the DVDs where great ! .

One thing though that i don't get is the fact that i had to pay 35 dollars for this set and it seemed that i should have had a lot more for that money , one thing is the fact the box should have had a little bit more to it oh well i did the same for season one and the box was not that fancy , and i did not get the fur on the box for that one .

i love the shows in general in this season , i got Miss Piggy's south of the bouroder skit .

That is one of my faverite of the miss piggy's skits hehe .

G-MAN

Reaction score
I got it too, I have both this, Rocky and Bullwinkle Season 1 and Supernatural Season 1, so I have a lot of shows to watch, lol