Beautiful Day Monster appearances on "Sesame Street"

Soul H

Reaction score
Another sketch using the Beautiful Day Monster was that he was crying over his broken ukulele and Ernie was giving him ideas fon other things he could do with his broken ukulele. However all that did was make the Beautiful Day Monster cry even harder. Eventually Ernie returns with the ukulele all repaired and good as new, but surprise surprise, the Beautiful Day Monster eats the ukulele. Sad isnt it?

Soul H

Reaction score
Frazzle said:
I saw that somewhere on TV when I was a kid. Is that song exclusively used on SS, or could it have been used anywhere else? I swear up & down that I have heard it outside of SS. I could be wrong though.
In reference to the song "Frazzle", that song was a hit. And did you notice that one of the monsters looked like Little Chrissy?

prickle747

Reaction score
Clean Gultch said:
What about the cake skit? When he eats Bert's half of the cake and Ernie gets blamed. Im trying to get that skit on Winmx. I got like 80% of it.

yes this is one of my favorite too !! check my avatar look familar ?

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
Frodis said:
This clip is also infamous for the only known time that the word "BEER" was used on Sesame Street.
When Judy Collins was on in the mid- to late- 70's, she sang a song about fishermen, with some fishermen AMs, that mentioned going and getting some beer!

camillachick

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Funny, that line was used in an episode of "Sheep in the Big City" by a supermarket shopper looking at his list. Too much! :big_grin:

Has anyone else noticed sesame references appearing in places other than sesame or Henson stuff? I watched an episode of "The Weekenders" with my little sister where a baker walks into the room with a tray of desserts and announces how many there are. He then spills the desserts on the kids by accident. I've seen enough posts describing the baker sketch to know this was a parody my sister couldn't have known about. Does this topic deserve its own thread?

Joggy

Reaction score
I have that clip from your Avatar in Spanish. It's something about the number 4.

Ernie has a new game for Bert. His "friend" holds up a picture and Bert has to answer a question about those. "How many legs does this dog have?" "How many legs does this table have?" Both four, of course.

Then the 'friend', who's still hidden behind the pictures, shows a drawing of Beautiful Day with four eyes. "How many eyes does this monster have?"

Just when Bert remarks that a monster having four eyes is the most ridiculous thing he's ever seen, Beautiful Day shows up from behind the picture - with indeed four eyes.

prickle747

Reaction score
Frodis said:
Let's not forget the clip of Kermit's first season lecture on hair. The Beautiful Day monster shows up and tries to brush Kermit. However, as Kermit points out multiple times throughout the sketch, "Frogs don't have hair!". This clip is also infamous for the only known time that the word "BEER" was used on Sesame Street.

Kermit (while looking at a hippie muppet): "Not only do some people have hair on the top of their heads, but some people have hair on the bottom of their heads!...That is called a...um...hmm...(to the hippie) psst, what's it called?"

Hippie: "A BEARD!"

Kermit: "Oh, it's called a BEER!"

Hippie: "NO NO! A bear-D!"

I taped this one back in the 80's.

Frodis

Frodis can you email me please,i would like to do some trading with you.
Have not heard from you in some time.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Considering BD's propensity to eat almost anything, and his Cookie Monster-like voice...I always thought he was Cookie when I watched those sketches as a girl. Years later, a question on Jeopardy! claimed that "Beautiful Day" was an older name for Cookie Monster; he supposedly adopted the new name after discovering his favorite food. (If the question-writers were correct, does that contradict the recent "Sid" revelation? *groan*)

On the other hand, BD seems to enjoy destruction in general--not necessarily eating whatever he wants to ruin. That suggests an evil combination of Cookie Monster and Herry; perhaps those characters had a common ancestor...