I've Finished my Hyena!

spcglider

Reaction score
There's been lots of talk in another thread about what puppets are worth. Okay... so here's a good idea of what really nice puppets are worth. You said that it took you 83 hours to do the work. Plus $400.00 in materials. If we're really conservative about what you pay yourself to do the work (say $20 an hour) you'd be charging a minimum of $2060.00 for that puppet. And that's without a typical markup. That's straight, bottom line cost.

And, by the way, your hyena is STUPENDOUS! Sweet design. Nice look overall. Lovely. And you never mentioned him at the Festival!

-Gordon

Teenager's

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks. I'm really honored with your responses!

You know, $2,060 is a looks like a really nice number to charge, for me this was really the first time I priced a puppet for someone else, and I used Andrews Puppet Pricing Calculator, which was A Lot of help, but I don't have to pay bills and thats what the calculator is based on, so I underpriced myself accidently, but I know what to do in the future now, so it was another great learning expierience.

But yes, when it comes to pricing, rights..etc, I agree all the way with Gordon and ravagefrackle.

lol, I sort of mentioned him at the festival, but it quite possibly could have been all in my head. During that time I only had the foam base done minus the ears. Although everytime I thought about it I wished I had finished it to show it in the Puppet Exibit......but not having it done and there really pushed me and gave me the drive to come back home and finish it. I also had new ideas on how/what to do and how to attempt what needed to be done. Basically. The Fest was Great.

Here's a new pic of the Hyena with me, showing its size.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/pcep-puppets/P1011903.jpg

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well done, and lesson on Underpricing learned,

we all do jobs for less that we want sometimes, but it is important not to rip yourself off

keep up the good work!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
...I used Andrews Puppet Pricing Calculator, which was A Lot of help, but I don't have to pay bills and thats what the calculator is based on, so I underpriced myself accidently
It's worth noting that the pricing calculator is not really ideal for custom, one off jobs. It's better suited to figuring out an "average" to charge if you're either mass producing the same puppet, or building fairly similar ones on an ongoing basis.

Ruben

Reaction score
Wow! that is a great puppet! live hand ones are so neat. :embarrassed:)