Musical numbers that just don't work.

peyjenk

Reaction score
What are some of your least favorite musical numbers on The Muppet Show? Most of the show is solid gold (or at least silver in the first season), but there are a few moments every now and then that are just annoying or stupid or too weird to be interesting. Here are the two that leave me cold...

"Searchin'" from the Valerie Harper episode. The set is too claustrophobic for the four characters, and those two backup singers are just creepy. Their red pupils make them look evil, and the scraggly beards and costumes make them look like robbers or highwaymen or something. I like Floyd in this number, but the general setup makes it look like he and two criminals are trying to hunt down this little girl. But whatever the case, I just can't get over the red eyes. *shudder* :embarrassed:

"Dance" from the Twiggy episode. Just a few eps later, this one really bugs me. The colors are too loud, the creatures are too abstract, and the boas aren't nearly as cool as I'm sure they were supposed to be. It's just weird and pointless all the way around without any of the usual Muppet magic.

What do you think?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The Gingerbread Man Dance number from the Don Knotts episode really, really freaks me out.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, I like the Gingerbread Man number, but yeah it is freaky!

I would have to say the episode where Fozzie sings Oklahoma! with an Asian sort of theme. It was probably funny then, but I cringed when I see it now. Now I'm not a politically correct person at all, but I think that type of humor has past.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Lol, I like the Gingerbread Man number, but yeah it is freaky!
What I want to know is, who are the guys in the gingerbread man suits? Did they bring in a team of dance doubles, or are those Jim and the others?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What I want to know is, who are the guys in the gingerbread man suits? Did they bring in a team of dance doubles, or are those Jim and the others?
I know! I've always wondered that too. Part of me says some of it looks professionally done (no offence to the puppeteers!). Of course, if they'd included the Muppet Morsels this time, we'd know by now wouldn't we? Hehe:rolleyes:

I just watched that scene again...::shiver:: It IS freaky! lol Though, it must have been only slightly less freaky to record this song ("Uh Huh!")

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I think that the "Jousting Scene From Camelot" in the Pearl Bailey episode, while for the most part very interesting and innovative; is totally spoilt by the 'Ascot Gavotte' - That number just shouldn't have been there.

golden teeth

Reaction score
"Searchin'" from the Valerie Harper episode. The set is too claustrophobic for the four characters, and those two backup singers are just creepy. Their red pupils make them look evil, and the scraggly beards and costumes make them look like robbers or highwaymen or something. I like Floyd in this number, but the general setup makes it look like he and two criminals are trying to hunt down this little girl. But whatever the case, I just can't get over the red eyes. *shudder* :embarrassed:
I actually really liked Searchin, but I can see what you mean about the red eyes.

The Gingerbread man one was pretty strange.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I atually really liked the Gingerbread man song......

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any of the musical numbers sung by Bruce Forsythe.

ew.

Plus, off subject I think that all the songs from MOZ were very awkwardly written. Though I liked The Witch is in the House and Naptime.