Here's something......

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to find performers that could match up to the voices of characters from performers that have since passed away or moved on.

For instance, wouldn't it be easier if the Henson company could find a performer or several performers who could match the voice of Jim Henson's Rowlf or Dr. Teeth, or get someone who can sound like Richard Hunt's Scooter or Janice, or Jerry Nelson's Floyd?

That way characters we know and like won't sound strange when talking. (Like the christmas cd that came out this past year)

For example, Bill Barretta can't match his voice to Jim Henson's Rowlf or Dr. Teeth. Both characters sound like Bobo the bear when Bill is performing them.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Are you talking about Steve and Eric, or the people who did the cruise ship show and/or made it through the auditions, or some other group of people we don't know about?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Are you talking about Steve and Eric, or the people who did the cruise ship show and/or made it through the auditions, or some other group of people we don't know about?
Not Steve and Eric. Eric has the voices down that Frank Oz used to do. I'm sold on his Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, and Sam.

I'm talking about whoever does the voices for Rowlf, Scooter, Dr. Teeth, Janice, etc. They just sound off, whether you're watching the christmas movie that came out back in 2002, the Wizard of Oz movie, or the christmas cd that came out last year.

Lew Zealand and Crazy Harry sound like themsevles since they've been recast. But I'm talking about those four core muppets that were part of the main cast in the first three muppt movies.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie - I agree with you on your point. Sorry I wasn't clear, my question was for DevonMiles regarding the group of people they have who sound like these secondary characters that they aren't using (a couple Henson did). Maybe he was talking about main characters?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I believe there is much more to puppetry than voice-matching. I also think Bill Barretta does a great job with Rowlf. Teeth etc. I do, however, think he should work on distinction between the characters' laughs. This is where they often sound similar and have that Pepe laugh with a bit of Bobo gravel in them. :rolleyes: :sympathy:

I also like Brian Henson's Scooter, but if recasting would cause him to be around more often - I'm for it. :wink:

There should be more of a consistency in performances as well. The Stater and Waldorf From the Balcony kind of cuts both ways in my opinion. I like the segments, but Muppets should be voiced and handled by one performer at a time when possible.

Of course everbody is going to have his or her own take on who's voice could be better for each Muppet, but I think the performers are doing A-level work for the most part.

Edit: I'm just glad they're using Scooter, Janice, Teeth, Rowlf and other (once heavily featured) Muppets.

Misan

Reaction score
I think Kevin Clash should be Rowlf. He can do it.

karamazov80

Reaction score
Maybe they can try to digitally re-create these characters both vocally and visually like they did with Marlon Brando in Superman Returns. That way, you could have digital Henson! Then, as with manufacturing, there would be little to no need for real people at all! Market efficiency!