Legends of the Dark Crystal

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
The new Henson.com Podcast is all about the Legends Of The Dark Crystal Manga with a little Return To Labyrinth mixed in (not to mention another answer to a 'fan submitted' question)!

http://www.henson.com/podcast.php

SwordKing

Reaction score
My review.

I liked it. The story flowed well and the characters were enjoyable. The black and white artwork fits the mood of the story better than I think color artwork would. My only concern at this point is that I'm not entirely sure LoTDC fits with the back story provided in Brian Froud's "World of the Dark Crystal".

Now this is entirely speculation, but I believe that Lahr and Neffi are in fact the future parents of Jen.

Even though it will probably not happen, I'd love to see Neffi deal with that currently nameless girl Gelfling who keeps trying to flirt with Lahr.

Any other opinions?

Monsoon

Reaction score
My Opinion

I liked it. The sort line seems to be well done and the characters came out looking good.The gefling women are shown to be strong and not whiney.

Still, it'll be interesting were they'll be taking this, considering all but two gelflings are going to be slaughtered in the end. Will Lahr and Neffi want too have children, knowing their kind is being hunted ?

The book mentions this is taking place "twice for centuries ago" , so I guess the gelflings are pretty much everywhere at this point. And since they use one per day to drain the essence, it will still take a long time to get their numbers down significantly. But, they are still killed during raids.

What I'd like to see are appearances by Aughra, and the podlings, as well more scenes of the Mystics. Was Jen the only gefling the Mystics hid, or were they hiding others? Also, what did Aughra originally do at the castle before the crystal cracked ? And how does she manage to avoid attention from the Skeksis for so long? It makes me wonder that since the Skeksis and Mystics are each one half if the same being, if any of them might remember what life was like before the crystal cracked. Since the Skeksis don't recognize Aughra, I don't think the know, or care. But, how would they explain how the came into existence ? Do they mystics remember what life was like at the castle before the crystal cracked ?

Also in the "The Dark Crystal", Jen and Kira come upon some gefling ruins after they run and hide when the garthem attack the podling village. It makes me wonder if the podlings has a sort of alliance with the geflings at some point. Anyway, after they go inside the ruins, Kira says "We don't go in here any more. Bad things happened in here once", so she probably knew something. I'd like to see that explored.

Looking forward to book number two!

Laszlo

Reaction score
Just got a copy and I like it!
The artwork is much better than on Return to Labyrinth.
I must say they did a great job on the Garthims and the Skeksis. Gelflings aren't bad either but I don't like their Manga look.
The story is a bit thin I must say. Basically it's just about the Gelflings defending the Garthim attacks.
I wanted to see more about the Crystal itself, or Aughra and the Mystics.
Overall good artwork and some lovely scenes with Gelfling children :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I have never seen Dark Crystal ( I know, shame on me. :cry: I will watch it soon, I hope. ) but I hope to get this book for Christmas. It was illustrated by Hedi Arnhold, a SCAD alumna and I have to support that! Plus, it looks like a neat book.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
So, I'm gonna resurrect an old forum topic here, but I just got this manga a few days ago. I'm not sure exactly what to think of it. . .I found the artwork fairly detailed, but I don't think I like Henson characters in manga style. Plus, the anime style is so over done, I've actually grown sick of it.

Regardless, it was a short read, thin plot but what is striking to me the most, is just how long its taking to get to volume 2. I didn't realize this came out almost 2 years ago. Uhm. . . where the heck is volume 2?
Are they waiting 3 years or more in between volumes?

The release schedule on this series is absolutely horrible, seriously. . .the worst release print I've ever encountered with any book or comic. Is this in the tank? Does anyone know when the next volume is coming. . .and good lord. . .when the 3rd one will possibly be released?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've often been critical of what I refer to as the JapAniManga influence in modern comics. I have seen some beautiful interpretations from time to time. They do exist in the style, but far too often the genre eclipses the very charm and essence that drew me to something like the Dark Crystal to begin with. I purchased the first issue and couldn't make it through. It's the gelfling noses every artist seems to have a hard time getting. The fan artwork in the back of the comic is far superior to that of the official artist who created the primary content. I would rather see Jim Henson fantasy pieces like the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth take on different styles from different artists rather than this one rather overplayed style of JapAniManga. I really would like to collect stuff like this, but the truth is it just doesn't interest me in this form. The drop off between sales of issue one and issue two could be the reason for the lengthy release of issue three (if one does occur). :scary:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Well, I agree with you on many points here. I think Henson characters just fall flat with this particular style. I don't like it a bit. The Garthim looked pretty good, the skesis seemed fairly detailed, but its the overall "style and approach" that I think simply does not fit the world of TDC.

Even with the backlash against the other manga, "Return to Labyrinth" I believe?(from poor story to horrible artwork I've heard) I went ahead and ordered those, simply out of curiosity, and to actually have something new to read and explore in these two universes, but again, this anime/manga/jap style is just horrible. Once again, just my personal take and opinion, but I simply believe it is NOT a fit for Brian Froud and Henson's worlds.

And here's hoping they move up the release schedule or something, 2 to 3 years, in-between comic books, essentially, is beyond ridiculous.

JMPrater

Reaction score
In regards to the release schedule. Originally, it was planned as a precursor to Power of the Dark Crystal, releasing right before the film debuted in theaters. Of course, the film hit many snags. I would bet they are waiting until possibly late 2010 to release the second stage of the manga, at least to buffer the fans, so we have something?

Just an idea.