Your Thoughts: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas

FroggiePiggie

Reaction score
New member with comments

Hey!!
Okay--I'm a 'newbie' at this but hopefully I get this right. After reading all your comments and all the things everybody noticed..I have a couple of things to say-- 1- I'm SO very very glad I know now that their are other people out there that noticed that same things I did!! While reading your comments I was like no way! muppet freaks like me! lol!! anyway- i loved being able to see a new muppet 'film' finally... it was about time for a new one. And I'll give the show a soild 7 out of 10. You have to consdir the fact that it was a 'made for tv' film. But I'll be defenitly owning it soon I agree that it could have done without a # of things but.. yay I got to see kermit and I'm happy. LOL oh my gosh i sound some what of a freak now but ah well. Thanks for reading

Drtooth

Reaction score
For starters, let me say, when I see films I go in with very low standards. This time I had very very very high standards, and they were blown away! This is the absolute best Muppet movie in recent years. This is what MFS should have been!

FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, DON'T READ ON!

\

I was super impressed by this film! Not only did they use rare characters like Scooter and Janice (who actually talked), but they even used the Bossmen for a short scene! The refference to Doc Hopper's and such were hillarious. The satires of Rudolph's Sam the Snowman and The Movie version of The Grinch were great! And it was nice to see Fozzie Bear having such a pivitol role, instead of being a small part of the film, much like MCC.

Kevin Clash was listed, biut Clifford wasn't there. (actually, a small picutre of CLifford is visable in the background, but you can only see it for a few seconds). Kevin seemed to play Sam the Eagle, who came off sillier in this special.

Janice and Scooter were a bit off, but I was glad to have them back!

The Molin Scrooge parody was right on target!

I felt that Joan Cussack had fun (too much fun) being a villain, and she was very campy, but not annoyingly so (well, not to an extreem that I'd hate to see it). She wasn't quite Doc Hopper, but she did better than Charles Grodin.

My big complaint is that at the end finalie they cut off Fozzie's solo for a rediculous plug for the sappy American Dreams show!

All and all, (using the MC ratings system) I give it 4 out of 5 disembodied Kermit heads

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
well, I've seen the movie twice now, and both times I loved it! I admit that parts were a little slow, but overall I thought it was an excellent effort! I was worried about frank oz's absence but it really didn't bother me at all (even sam was okay, and I thought the hari growth/toupee biut was funny). I didn't have a problem with any of the "edgy" bits or think they were any more over the top than other stuff the muppets have done...the ONLY thing that kind of bugged me was at the end when Pepe says (paraphrase) "that's what christmas is all about..helping friends and getting revenge on enemies" now I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think that Christmas should be associated with revenge. Pepe's not too bright so I can understand hi saying that, but I would have liked Kermit or someone to conteract that statement. IT is somewhat mitigated by Whoopi's statement later that Kermit didn't need justice or revenge or anything like that, but it still jarred me. Everything else though, was excellent. AND the canadian broadcast did NOT cut the end :big_grin: I got the whole song and all the credits uncut

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Stryder Wolfe
the ONLY thing that kind of bugged me was at the end when Pepe says (paraphrase) "that's what christmas is all about..helping friends and getting revenge on enemies" now I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think that Christmas should be associated with revenge. Pepe's not too bright so I can understand hi saying that, but I would have liked Kermit or someone to conteract that statement.
But that of course is a joke. I made a really weird parody of the New Zoo Review (or whatever it's called) in which all the characters keep harassing each other and trying to cause greavous bodily harm (don't want to get into specifics, but it's just PG material!) at the end, someone watching the whole fiasco says, "It just ain't Christmas until guys in cheap animal suits kill each other." (or beat the living crap out of each other.. I forgot) It's mean spirited, but that's the joke.

Encounter77

Reaction score
Re: Re: Henson's name through the mud

Yea, I see your point, but keeping in mind that, lately the muppet reputation, from the past movies, and shows like Sesame Street. These characters have a reputation as kid friendly.
I lived in a world where when I was little and even through Jr. High, I didn't know what cage dancing was. I would want me kids to live in that world, that when they are little they don't know what things like that are. So that was disturbing to me, even though it was short, I also agree with the gay stereotype pig, that was somewhat frustrating. And then the second time through watching it I noticed the Pepe scene with Joan Cusak, That was quite disturbing, I would not want my kids to see that.
Could the movie have been just as good without those things? I'm not sure. (Sam the eagle didn't really bother me in the club scene. His voice was a little off everywhere else... but it's understandable.)

Don't get me wrong overall I liked the movie, but I feel it ruined the reputation of the muppets for being good clean fun for kids. Not saying I've given up on them... cause I haven't... but I'm beginning to wonder whats to come of the muppets and wether my kids will be watching them or not.

And if this comes out on DVD, I would love to own it... becuase I love the message that DREAMS are IMPORTANT. I LOVE THAT ABOUT THE MUPPET MOVIES!

And I loved the song, Everyone Matters.

Love ya'll thru Christ,
KEv
I LOVE THE MUPPETS TOO!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
My big complaint is that at the end finalie they cut off Fozzie's solo!
LOL! I know, it's sad, but I actually also found it rully funny...*snicker*

I'm sorry Fozzie, you know I love ya, *maaan!*

jetjaguar15

Reaction score
Put simply - The movie lacked the timelessness that so much of the previous Muppet material has always had for me. Just like the Hulk Hogan thing in Muppets From Space badly dates that movie, the references to Moulan Rouge and other modern pop culture references made the movie feel dated. By dated I mean that if I'm watching this 10 years from now, I might not get some of the references and/or jokes. Worst of all was the Croc hunter bit... that had me cringing. Poor. Just plain poor.

Also, it dragged badly in the first half. I really enjoyed the "It's A Wonderful Life" parody part, but the movie would have been far better had it been a straight muppet version of that film rather than what we got.

towels

Reaction score
I can not watch the end without screaming at NBC for cutting off Fozzie...
Has anybody here actually called NBC to get info on DVD possibilities?
My random thoughts (trying not to repeat)
I thought it was well done, but I still don't care for David Arquette...maybe I'm one of the ones he was talking about that don't find him funny.
The Doc Hopper bit was great, even down to the special of the day...
I didn't really get either choreographer (the weird French guy or the pig) but maybe those are references I don't have the cultural experience to enjoy. I'd have prefered a more established character over Howard.
The alternate reality was nice...perhaps they should have added a bit about Pepe selling seafood (he's such a sell-out :smile: )
Did anybody catch that it was JIM's evergreen painting?
Scooter's voice bothered me more than anyone else's. I thought it was wonderful how Eric could hit Piggy's range...from the sweet singing and cooing at Kermit, to the gravelly enraged voice.
I found the Mayhem much too quiet.
I noticed the continuity was bad on Rizzo's nose. Some theater shots had it red, and others it was back to normal. Then at the end it was red again. (Yes, I know the mixed up plotline didn't help, but if I remember right, it was normal looking backstage after the Moulin number)
Were there any insiders up in heaven? The scruffy guy near William Macy looked like he could have been a puppeteer...
Does that Kermit and kids statue really exist somewhere? It seems like it should...
My (11 year old) son laughed and laughed at the spit in the eye. Then he laughed and laughed at the look on my face. *shrug* He also asked for an explanation of what Innuendo was so there you go...
Joan Cusak seemed a very odd, funny villian. "Don't let it affect your holiday." She had a nice approach to being mean. Very quirky spin of her character from Addam's Family Values.

(whew...lots to say after a month and a half)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jet Jaguar (Cool name, by the way! Now I've got the Jet Jaguar theme from MST running through my head):

A lot of people have complained about the pop culture references, but personally, I still don't see how this is any different from Monsterpiece Theater or Wonder Pig (Piggy's spoof on Wonder Woman) or Bay of Pigswatch. The Muppets have always spoofed culture, both high and low. I agree that Hollywood Hogan's appearance was lame, but that was only because the first Muppet Movie featured such show-biz luminaries as Bob Hope. It was a long way for them to fall. But I have no problem with the spoofs in general. If one wants to make the case that the Muppets should have never spoofed pop culture ever, then (while I'd disagree with it) I could appreciate the consistency of their stance. But people seem to think this is the first time the Muppets have done anything like this, which just puzzles me.

Some spoofs will undoubtedly hold up better than others. We can all hope and pray that Fear Factor will be forgotten in 10 years, but I think Moulin Rouge has some considerable durability for the years to come. But other shows have held up because of their stories and overall humor, even if the spoof doesn't hold up (I had no idea who "Stony Curtis" was when I used to watch The Flinstones, but I loved the show just the same).

Dr. Tooth:

quote: "It just ain't Christmas until guys in cheap animal suits kill each other." (or beat the living crap out of each other.. I forgot)

I am very scared now. I am backing away slowly. :wink:

Stryder Wolfe:

You realize you're all our new best friend now, right? :wink: Is there any way you could download a copy of the whole song to the Internet so we could hear it?

FroggiePiggie:

Welcome aboard! (And welcome to all the other new members since the last time I said so.) We hope you have fun here. We're pretty crazy but we're mostly harmless. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Say... who was that uh... flamboyant hog that kept commenting on Kermit's "Tushy?"

I thought he was very funny as a choreographer! Ha ha ha!

WHo was David Araquette? (sp?) I have no idea who he played!