Observation about Frank

BEAR

Reaction score
I know people who have worked with Frank and said he's a great guy but he's also a perfectionist and very serious about what he does both with the Muppets and his directing/film work. Dave Goelz told a great story about working with Frank and Jim on the Muppet Show at the recent Muppet event in Huntington, Long Island in August.

I don't recall specific details but in a nutshell it was about how they were doing a script read, and they were rehearsing their lines, etc. Jim was in a very playful mood and Frank was rather serious and kind of worrisome. Jim asked him what was wrong and Frank said something to the extent of "Well, I'M the one who has to suffer the burden of comedy and try to be funny in this sketch!". LOL

I just think at this point in Frank's career he's very jaded about what the entertainment industry has become, like someone has already said here, being asked the same questions about the Muppets, etc. I'm sure he still looks back on his work with the Muppets fondly and is very proud of the stuff he's done for them and of his films. But I've read recent interviews where he feels shows like Sesame have started to not be as hip as it used to be, have made it a real "kids show" these days. I think he's just frustrated with today's writers, the direction the Muppet characters have taken, etc.

I also feel he still strongly misses Jim and his probably frustrated with the way things have gone since his passing that are beyond his control.

I think you're right on it here. I believe he is very proud of his work and thinks fondly about HIS time with The Muppets and Sesame, but he is unhappy with the way things have been going currently. Similarly to how most of us feel about it. I used to think the same thing about Frank. Thinking he was a mean old man who needs to lighten up, but if we look at his work, we know that can't be all that true. But yes he was a perfectionist. I think he was more the "business man" of the group.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I think we can all somewhat identify, heh.
Yeah but out of all of us who had the closer connection with Jim? :wink: We will never miss Jim the way Frank misses Jim. They were not only fellow performers, they were business partners and good friends. I'm sure it has not been easy for Frank to watch how the Muppets have changed since Jim's passing.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I think you're right on it here. I believe he is very proud of his work and thinks fondly about HIS time with The Muppets and Sesame, but he is unhappy with the way things have been going currently. Similarly to how most of us feel about it. I used to think the same thing about Frank. Thinking he was a mean old man who needs to lighten up, but if we look at his work, we know that can't be all that true. But yes he was a perfectionist. I think he was more the "business man" of the group.
Nah, I don't think Frank is a mean old man. I see a guy who's worked really hard to get where he's gotten who's just jaded with the entertainment industry, has lost one of his best friends in life and in work and has seen that friend's company go through a lot of changes for better or for worse....

I admire Frank for his attitude that regardless of all the nonsense out there in Hollywood he keeps pressing on, still tries to do the kind of projects he wants to do with this films. I think Frank views the industry rather realistically. I never got the impression that he was one to "sugar coat" stuff, that he'd speak his honest opinion. I mean as a fan, I sometimes have a hard time viewing what the Muppets have become and how the characters have changed. I can't imagine what it must be like for Frank who helped create some of those characters along with Jim.

Also Frank has mentioned on more than one interview in the past that he's always frustrated and amazed that people think all he does is the "voice" of his characters. that they have no idea how much physical performance he's done over the years. That he's brought those personalities we all know and love to life!

MGov

Reaction score
Think about how nutty Muppet fans can get and then factor in the Star Wars fans.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I'm sure Frank must also be frustrated that some of his films have been tampered with, and released without his full satisfaction.

He was forced to scrap the costly (but faithful to the stage show) finale of Little Shop of Horrors, in favor of a more conventional happy ending. Listening to his audio commentary on the DVD, one could tell he still laments the loss of his intended ending, and often brings up the alternate finale found "in the special features section," of the disc, meaning the commentary was recorded when the supposedly unlicensed version of the film made it briefly into stores in 1998 before being recalled by Geffen. He even guides viewers from the exact moment when his version ends, and the new, reshot footage begins. Although I still wonder why Paul Dooley was replaced by Jim Belushi in the reshot sequence...maybe Dooley wasn't available?

Frank says "The Stepford Wives" remake was another one that was tampered with, and not the film he signed on for when he saw the finished product. It's evident watching the film (which I think is very uneven) that some of Frank's material again had to either be reshot or scrapped altogether. When the film seems to end (as in the original film), it suddenly goes on for another 15 minutes or so, for yet another "happy" ending.

A shame, really, since I think "Stepford" had potential, and "Little Shop," despite its flaws in the third act, is still one of my favorite films.

It would be great to see director's cuts of these two some day. A "Little Shop" restoration has been rumored for years, but so far, nothing.

But on the whole, I admire Frank's body of work. I love "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," "What About Bob," "In and Out," and "Bowfinger." Even "The Score" was interesting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah but out of all of us who had the closer connection with Jim? :wink: We will never miss Jim the way Frank misses Jim. They were not only fellow performers, they were business partners and good friends. I'm sure it has not been easy for Frank to watch how the Muppets have changed since Jim's passing.
Absolutely very true. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Also Frank has mentioned on more than one interview in the past that he's always frustrated and amazed that people think all he does is the "voice" of his characters. that they have no idea how much physical performance he's done over the years. That he's brought those personalities we all know and love to life!
I think a part of that is because of just how darn easy they make it look. So it's hare for the public to always realize that. But it's just a factor. Plus people have the mind sat that if you can't see actually people then it's related to voice animation. It is, but it's so much more on the performers pare, you know?

TeacherLady

Reaction score
I agree that Frank just seems like a serious guy who can be seriously funny. You don't have to be like Jim Carey or Robin Williams- always "on" to be a funny, friendly guy. He seems like the kind of guy who is well loved by those who know him really well, and perceived as a bit aloof or odd by those who don't.