First pics MINDSTYLE Skeksis Castle & Aughra ! DARK CRYSTAL

Laszlo

Reaction score
Here are some first pics from MINDSTYLE:

I hope they don't mind if I post these... :wink:

I love the Castle (based on Froud's design. Mine is based on the movie version.).
Not sure about Aughra yet.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Ok, 130 hits and no comments?
So I guess you folks don't like em.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. The castle is very cool. Aughra, well it's been established how I feel about the expense and style of the MindStyle sculptures so I won't be running that too far into the ground.

The thing about stylized character representations is that there needs to be a film accurate one made for a comparison - otherwise it just seems less fun and interesting. I'd like to see a full-body Aughra that is screen-accurate. Froud's art is spectacular, but the puppets are as well.

Still...that castle! Me likey! :flirt:

Cosmic Cow

Reaction score
As I posted on SSC, I think the castle is phenominal and I love that they added the logo to the base.

And for Aughra, I have mixed feelings. For me, the true love is with the films and Aughra has always had a special place in my heart. While i'd really love a film accurate piece i'll still be buying this to help support the line in hopes for something more...

DTWolf

Reaction score
Well, I don't buy busts and statues (give me action figures instead), but I do like looking; and I've gotta say, that's one ugly Aughra.

Well, yeah, she's supposed to be ugly, but not like this. The pose is goofy (I see the caption "Blow, winds, blow, I summon ye! Do my bidding, storms of the air!"). Her arms are much too long. The colors are lousy. That face--ick. Cadaver-pink skin, hot-pink nose and lips, and icy blue highlights?

I understand this is a "concept" Aughra and doesn't have to match the movie version--but come on, this is yucky-looking.

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
The castle looks beautiful, especially with the logo at the bottom, but even from such a relatively small picture, you can see the detail that made it an iconic castle.

Aughra however looks like she is clearly based off of one of the original drawings. I do appreciate the idea of basing the sculpts of these on the original Froud drawings (a true artist), but I think a bust of Aughra as she is in the film would be better.

I dunno, Sideshow did a fine job with the Jen and Kira 12" figures and, not sure why, the plans for a 24" Urzah and SkeSil figure were dropped. But now that Sideshow is more the in the collectors arena, perhaps they should get The Dark Crystal back under their belt and make some museum quality busts ans statues.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat here.
I do like the castle and will deffinitely get it.
However this sketchy Aughra does nothing for me. I would love to see a movie version instead.