that girl from Sesamstraat

Thijs

Reaction score
No, they just bought the format of Sesame Street, along with the american sketches. Minus the Big Bird sketches and the sketches with humans. Because we have our own Big Bird (Pino) otherwise it would be very confusing for children, and we have our own humans too. All of them good actors, very funny too. The Sesame Characters are very dutch all. On the records of Bert and Ernie, they celebrate `Sinterklaas`, a dutch feast. Altough they never use the puppets, Kermit, Bert and Ernie have been on sketches along with the dutch characters. Tommie had conversations with Kermit, but only Kermit`s voice could be heared. And the shadow of Ernie`s head was seen one time.

Hah, that new Pino indeed sounds female. Terrible voice, he looks awful too, with those yellow stuff `round his eyes. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

And about dubbing: I hate it too, but, everybody understands Sesame Street has to be dubbed. But it`s getting worse in the Netherlands too now. They start dubbing cartoons, while those are cartoons for the age of 8-16. Hey! Those kids can read!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
The Sesame Characters are very dutch all. On the records of Bert and Ernie, they celebrate `Sinterklaas`, a dutch feast. Altough they never use the puppets, Kermit, Bert and Ernie have been on sketches along with the dutch characters. Tommie had conversations with Kermit, but only Kermit`s voice could be heared. And the shadow of Ernie`s head was seen one time.
Yeah. I was watching Plaza Sesamo, and they redubbed one of the Sesame Street segments (featuring Elmo and Telly) to include the Mexican characters. From what I can tell, Telly asked around, and he gave a list of people he asked. On the list were Pancho, Lola, and Abelardo.

But What I don't under stand is why don't these countries have extra Ernie and Bert and such puppets for them to use in some of the skits? I mean, the point isn't that they're translating Ernie and Bert, but making them Arik and Bentz or Enrique and Beto. In other words, they are like distant cousins of the characters that LIVE in that country. I know that China uses the Same exact Big Bird, but it's supposedly his cousin.

sstVideo

Reaction score
How do they DO That???

Originally posted by rowlf84
My question is: how does CTW handle producing in foreign countries? Do they form teams in each country to handle the show?
Yes, you are correct. Sesame Workshop finds a local production partner in each country that they do a co-production. Although the vast majority of countries take the American Sesame Street and dub it into their native language, there are currently nine active "Indigenous Co-Productions" including the long running ones like Germany or the Netherlands, and newer ones in Egypt and South Africa. A deal was announced the other day for the development of a Sesame show in India as well. Sesame Workshop is interested in getting funding for more of these, rather than exporting American culture and forcing it on the children of the world (like other children's producers do).

The workshop provides the expertise and muppets, training, as well as a library of "classic" Sesame segments and films that can be dubbed into the native tongue. The local producers are responsible for the curriculum and tailor the shows to the needs of the children in their country. All of these shows are cast, crewed, and edited in the country they air. Hence, the South Africans are the ones who decided they needed an HIV Positive Muppet, not the Americans at the Workshop. The Egyptian co-production has a curriculum on girls and women's empowerment. The Israeli/Palestian/Jordanian production has a curriculum of mutual respect and conflict resolution.

Individual Muppets are also created for the particular country. China has a pig, for instance, and South Africa has a Warthog. Other countries have their own 'Monsters" as well.

Funds are very scarce and the need is very great. After 9/11 there was a great whoosh of foundation money away from education to "security" issues. The Workshop believes that to get peace and security in the world, you must teach children about mutual respect, understanding , tolerace, and accepting differences. Monsters and people of all colors should be able to play on their global street without shooting at one another.

rowlf84

Reaction score
Thank you! Your replies have been very educational.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Re: How do they DO That???

Originally posted by sstVideo

Funds are very scarce and the need is very great. After 9/11 there was a great whoosh of foundation money away from education to "security" issues. The Workshop believes that to get peace and security in the world, you must teach children about mutual respect, understanding , tolerace, and accepting differences. Monsters and people of all colors should be able to play on their global street without shooting at one another.
Of course we all know that "security" means that we should stock pile weopons because everyone i stockpiling weopons so we can all blow eachother up... and these are the people in charge. And Laura Bush dares to come on Sesame Street...

I think security should be that EVERYONE, not just kids should learn respect. It's all hate hate hate, and the %^&&*% with everything else! Why don't people at least PRETEND to get along and just say mean things behind their backs? I mean, it's a step up from what we're doing now, threatening each other.

I wish Muppetfreak were here. He worked with some people to promote the Egypt and Russian versions!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Re: SSTVideo,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Hey,
I didnt know there was a warthog, Do you mean a Meerkat ?
Warthog? And a Meerkat?

Hakkuna Matata,
what a wonderful phrase,
Huakkuna Matata,
Ain't no passin' Craze...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by punkNpuppets
a warthog and a meerkat? well, hakuna-matata! whatever it's called
E-gad... There's an echo in here......